Why become a member? ×

TO GO: drinking chess :o

Finbar

Okay, we've got a few things here in our house which need to go. Pickup only from Sheffield (Greystones/High Storrs area).

First off, a coffee table measuring 60x122cm, standing 35cm high. Made of proper wood (not MDF), quite a nice piece of furniture really, just needs a bit of a scrub. But overall VERY solid and sturdy, just too big for this house. Needs a good home!

Secondly, a Toshiba SL-X1 hi-fi system. Pretty old school thing - measures 90cm tall, 40cmx46cm. Glass lid, and glass front door. Contains a vinyl turntable, radio tuner, amplifier section, graphic EQ and casette player. Has a lot of space under this lot for storing vinyl and tapes. Doesn't play CDs :huh: Full working order though, just requires a minor repair on the base of the unit to make it stand up properly (we've had it propped up with folded pieces of card :)). Comes with two Toshiba speakers and wallmounts should they be required. Again, too big for our house since we moved, and has been replaced with a teeny-weeny CD player.

Lastly, a Drinking Chess game from the gadgetshop. Unwanted gift. Glass board measuring 52cmx52cm, includes 32 shot glass pieces.

Cheers,

Chris

Edited by Finbar

Wow, you live shockingly close to me!
I'm up in Parkhead/Whirlow now, but up until a few months ago I lived on High Storrs Drive.

You wouldn't happen to live at the bottom of that road would you? I saw someone carry out some bass/guitar cabs into their car once, there can't be that many musicians in that area right? :)

Edited by thedonutman

Highcliffe Drive, as it happens, so probably not who you saw :)

There's probably more than you think though. There's a guy who lives opposite Cow Lane on Greystones that is always unloading a guitar and combo from his small car, and plenty of people with guitars...

Always good to know you're in good company though o_O You in a band or anything?

Ha, I just got rid of one of those sets of drinking chess on freecycle - someone gave me it years ago and I never used it. Got a taker within 15 minutes. Sounds about right for Aberdeen.

Never saw the point in it personally - chess is a thinking game of skill, strategy and judgement - you can't play it drunk.

Have it up on Freecycle as well - the guy who wanted it didn't turn up ¬_¬

I don't drink, and there's no point in it if you are using fruit juice instead of shorts!

Tom - sorry, not shipping I'm afraid. No desperate rush to get rid of it, so it is just when someone rolls up to our door asking for it really.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Finbar' post='156349' date='Mar 12 2008, 09:47 PM']Forgot to mention, hah! This went quite a while ago o_O Sorry Michael! :)

As for the Highcliffe... it just isn't as good as the Prince of Wales. The best pubs are those seedy ones in town though ;p Fagans! lolol[/quote]
My favourite pub in Sheffield is definitely the Devonshire Cat

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

[quote name='queenofthedepths' post='156353' date='Mar 12 2008, 10:52 PM']My favourite pub in Sheffield is definitely the Devonshire Cat[/quote]

My best mate works in Dev cat,
best pubs are IMHO
Porter Cottage across from lescar down eccy road, plus the bar manager was in readers wives lol.
Cavendish for the ladies
Forum for the arty bast's and its close to the skatepark.
Frog and Parrot
and before it changed hands and became poo, Dove and Rainbow.

but Ill be down eccy road this saturday in the nursey tavern beer garden, w00p w00p,

man i need to move back to Sheffield, I love it there in the summer. I have to put up with all the chavs in doncaster AUGHH.

I know a drummer called Rob who hangs about with them.

Most of my ex's are from doncaster! think how I FEEL!!! haha,
although i do have a fair share from sheff too, i did slag about for a few years when I lived there.
Yeah donny has electro but they have really rocketed their prices recently, £65 for a BAii bridge in chrome for example. I still buy all my gear from there or here on BC though.

Yeah I tried looking for a 'ray in sheffield, I couldnt even find a OLP or a Sub nor mind a 'ray.

Sorry to disappoint you, it went quite a while ago :)

Soundcontrol in Sheffield used to have Rays now and then, and the one on City Road has them on occassion. But maybe not for much longer...

Electro may not have put the prices up, but I've found them really good for pricematching. And they actually have an interesting range of stuff. I can go in and go 'wow, didn't expect that' when I see a Marcus Miller sig, or a Sandberg or something, as opposed to going to most shops and knowing I'll see the usual Squiers and Schecters.

I gotta agree with you on the interesting stuff, they always have a new bass in there that takes my fancy, played a ray in there which was weighted a ton (which made me glad of my own) played a Rick which I really hated, played a lovely US Jazz 5 too, and I actually liked a Warwick they had in there, an unlined fretless standard Corvette thing. would have played nice if I could play unlined (oh wait im building an unlined. sh*t)

Customer service in there is always great, always help me out and point me in the right direction.