Why become a member? ×

Strat wiring mods

pete.young

Son no. 1 has just acquired a very nice strat, perfect in every way except that it has a duff tone pot which needs to be changed.

Since we've got to take a soldering iron to it, I was wondering if there are any other recommended mods that I should be thinking about. I was contemplating shielding the cavity. Pickups are Texas Specials so don't need to be changed and we're not looking for bridge humbuckers.

[url="http://www.geocities.jp/dgb_studio/index_e.htm"]This site[/url] has more wiring mods than you can shake a stick at. The only bad thing about it is that it was written by a Japanese guy who's English doesn't seem to extend to writing decent descriptions of the sounds you can expect. You should be okay sticking to the recommended ones though.

For alternative Strat wiring schemes you can't beat [url="http://www.guitarnuts.com/index.php"]Guitar Nuts[/url]

However be aware that the site now pops up new windows for other sites in the background. Those of you running less than secure systems might want to tread carefully there.

All good suggestions above.

As a former (and current) Strat player I've been round all the mods over the years (many because they were "in fashion" at the time :) ).

Provided you want a genuine Strat sound the only two mods worth considering are very simple and are -

1. Treble bleed capacitor on the volume control [url="http://www.bothner.co.za/articles/volumepot2.shtml"]Details Here[/url]

2. Put tone control on bride pickup [url="http://www.bothner.co.za/articles/hotrodstrat4.shtml"]Details Here[/url]

You can mess about with the earthing and shielding but, TBH, unless it's particularly bad I never found it made much difference at all. Single coil pickups hum - there's nothing you can do to stop that.

You can add TBX controls and stacked humbuckers etc. but then you're moving away from a Strat sound.

I've just installed a preloaded scratchplate with an EMG 89 (coil tap HB) and two EMG SA pickups with the SBC mid boost control. The sound is wonderful - very clear, clean and powerful. The gain from the humbucker is awesome yet the two single coils have no problem with Gilmour impersonations (he has the SBC and TBX installed on his guitars) and Chic funky chords. The pickups sound very different, maybe less 'organic', compared with the original seymour duncan set I've just removed.

Consequent the other pickguard preloaded with mid 80's Seymore Duncan JB and two single coil pickups for sale if anyone is interested, £80 excl. PM me for pics.

Thanks folks, some great information here. I knew I could rely on you!

The bridge pu tone control mod seems like a good idea. I'll do the pot and see how it goes. It doesn't seem particularly noisy so may already be shielded.

I've really no inclination to mess with it - it sounds beautiful through my Burman Pro 2000 . The house has been ringing to the sounds of 'Wind Cries Mary' and I'm not complaining.

For those who Just Have To Know, it's a MIJ '71 not for export , sunburst alder body with maple board from the venerable John at Far East Guitars. He has some lovely Jazz basses at the moment too.