Why become a member? ×

High action and tone

niceguyhomer

[quote name='JTUK' post='1225134' date='May 9 2011, 02:28 PM']Nothing would make me want to raise the action...it is not the lowest but it is fast and I like to be able to do that if I feel like it..
I don't want anything grabbing or tring me out and I don't think I struggle for tone anyway so I don't need to follow this thinking.

Horses for courses.[/quote]

Absolutely, although my action is generally very low, even by Gallery standards. It's all about how you play.

Just want to add another pause for thought

Dingwalls do one string size I assume to provide a balanced set across the fan fret system. Because the G string is shorter than normal he keeps it 45, as the string length increases he drops the gauge so to prevent the tension required for a larger gauge from affecting the neck adversely say on the B string. At 37" I think. Thats my reasoning behind it?
This is because you need greater tension for large gauges - V- light gauges for same pitch and anchor points?

My view being that it is best to have low action so the neck is in compression length ways which must be more stable with all the benefits mentioned above(less hand strain, fretted note not bending out of tune). As opposed to a high action due to forward bow where it becomes like a long bow and adjustments in tension are in part taken up by neck bend. I would think extreme examples of this set up would be hard to stay in tune. Praps that’s for another discussion thread. Its an extreme example but i believe thats what is happening.

Any thoughts,

:)

Surely this is why we all need more than one bass.

I have one running real low for the scraping/grinding/fret noise (but not buzz) tone. (An OLP MM3)
[i]Some[/i] running a regular/moderate action for usual use
One running higher than usual action for tonal reasons. (Warwick Infinity SN4) And does it not sound amazing!
I try to use sympathetic sounding strings that work well with each bass, then having found what works well with each, mess around with the action until I find something that sounds "spot on", then work around that.

Just trying to squeeze the best out of each bass.

I find that the only way to get the tone i want is to set the action low enough to get that "grind" when i dig in slightly yet when i play soft the notes sound full :)

Setting the neck as flat as possible works well for me so that "grind" sound is even all over the neck :) it really helps to cut through the mix (IME)