Why become a member? ×

Ken smith BSR5bt model

FLoydElgar

I was offered:

Ken smith BSR5EG - [url="http://www.kensmithbasses.com/models/neckthru/bsrbtelite.html"]http://www.kensmithbasses.com/models/neckt...bsrbtelite.html[/url]
5 Piece Body
Tiger Maple Top and Back
Mahogany Core
Walnut Body Laminates
5 Piece hard-rock maple w/ Walnut Laminates
Finger board ebony
Electronics smith soapbar pick-ups with smith 3-band 9V pre-amp
Features series parallel switches
Brass Nut and Bridge
Gold Hardware
Comes with Ken Smith hardshell case

How much is she worth used!

Thanks in advance!

Floyd

[attachment=79401:IMG_0009_3.jpg]

[attachment=79402:P5080349.JPG]

[quote]I think it depends on what you are prepared to pay, but I would have thought somewhere around the £2k mark..[/quote]

Normally I would agree with the above to a certain extent, however, there are some mitigating conditions here.

With that spec, it's a £4k plus bass new. These are pretty rare and don't come on the open market too often, especially the 5 string Elites. When they do come onto the open market they are normally snapped up pretty quickly. What you are prepared to pay might not cut the mustard and get you the bass.

Also it will have 18v preamp and you'll notice it has the newer switches on the front. Do you have any idea how old the bass is ?? ( Remove the rear control plate and the date is there, beside Uncle Kens signature ) Mine is a 2005 model and doesn't have these. Isn't the neck and back of the bass just a thing of beauty?? And for me I much prefer the lighter maple bodies to the darker woods more often used.

Do you know the person selling it, are they a particularly close friend. That may get you a better deal.

If you get it for £2k, bite the guys hands off. And go buy a lettery ticket, its your lucky day. Oh and start working out. Those Smith cases whilst offering unrivalled protection, weigh about as much as a small Ukrainian village. We are talking full flightcase heavy here. Just daft. Mine lives very happily in Protec Contego gig bag.

Its a great bass. Sorts out your GAS once and for all. If it's the type of bass you want, and you've played it, I would stretch as much as you were safely able to in order to secure it. Trust me, it WILL sell if it gets onto the open market. It's one of the few basses I have owned that I know I'd be able to sell for as much as I paid for it if I ever decided to / had to sell it.

PM me if you need any further details.

Oh and all these comments on price are assuming the bass is in very good condition with no major defects. Obviously any major defects like neck repairs are going to cripple the sale price and saleability of the bass, regardless of how well they have been done. Smith owners tend to be quite fastidious about condition. Also ask the seller if he still has the "case candy". Not a big deal, just nice for completeness.

Stewart

Really Kiwi, I wish you'd shown me where I could buy one for that price. :) I fear your love Uncle Ken could be colouring your normally excellent judgement :) . I fully appreciate you've bought / sold / owned many more Smiths than I, but having played "Hunt the Smith" recently I couldn't find one ( except with a very badly damaged neck which had been repaired ) for less than £2k, and god knows I looked long and hard for some time all over Europe and the US of A too.

I stand by what I said, I think £2k is a VERY good price at the moment and if I needed another or could justify it to my significant other I'd be all over it.

I'd be interested to hear more from the OP though.
S

I paid 2.35k for a BSR5EG in mint condition in September of 2008, don't know what would be fair under present market conditions but at the time I thought I did a great deal.

Anything below 2k would be a steal IMO.

[quote name='bassbluestew' post='1225212' date='May 9 2011, 02:43 PM']Really Kiwi, I wish you'd shown me where I could buy one for that price. :) I fear your love Uncle Ken could be colouring your normally excellent judgement :) . I fully appreciate you've bought / sold / owned many more Smiths than I, but having played "Hunt the Smith" recently I couldn't find one ( except with a very badly damaged neck which had been repaired ) for less than £2k, and god knows I looked long and hard for some time all over Europe and the US of A too.

I stand by what I said, I think £2k is a VERY good price at the moment and if I needed another or could justify it to my significant other I'd be all over it.[/quote]
I sold all three of mine at different times in about 6-8 weeks from the time they were made available. Two were sold through the Bass Gallery and one was sold to a friend. It wasn't as if my arm was being taken off in any instance, and Alex thought my expectations weren't too low.

Maybe the demand for them has gone up in the last couple of years?

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='1225694' date='May 9 2011, 11:19 PM']I sold all three of mine at different times in about 6-8 weeks from the time they were made available. Two were sold through the Bass Gallery and one was sold to a friend. It wasn't as if my arm was being taken off in any instance, and Alex thought my expectations weren't too low.

Maybe the demand for them has gone up in the last couple of years?[/quote]

stunning bass,work of art,the best woods,very rare s/h. 4k+new,would try for 2.5k and see how many bites you get!
dont no how long the ken smith waiting list is,6mts, wish i had the money spare,regret selling mine.
good luck :)