Why become a member? ×

Rick James..proper old skool spandex/funk alert!

iconic

Uber-Showman par Excellance without doubt, but I'm sure (well maybe I dreamt it!) I read that Rick was a multi-instrument player and played bass amoung keyboards, guitar, drums....Rick' and Stingray chosen weapons I think?

....but this is some technique.....sort of a cross between a 50's thumb style with quick finger playing too...

....there is another bass player on stage too....

PS I thought he was great on the A Team!

Edited by iconic

[quote name='chrismuzz' post='1221891' date='May 6 2011, 07:38 AM']lol I don't know whether it's the mixing but it sounds like hes just randomly smacking and popping the strings when he feels like it :)[/quote]

To be fair he probably was.
He's got Oscar Alston on Bass,who played on all Rick James' albums,so he didn't need to worry about actually 'playing' anything and could concentrate on being the front man

[quote name='Doddy' post='1222087' date='May 6 2011, 11:31 AM']He's got Oscar Alston on Bass,who played on all Rick James' albums,s[/quote]

ah, finally got a good chance to see his style cos I have a vid I'd downloaded from youtube of Superfreak live. Thought he was double thumbing at a time when Victor was still wearing short trousers but it appears a pick was used.

[quote name='Delberthot' post='1222779' date='May 7 2011, 12:21 AM']ah, finally got a good chance to see his style cos I have a vid I'd downloaded from youtube of Superfreak live. Thought he was double thumbing at a time when Victor was still wearing short trousers but it appears a pick was used.[/quote]

superfreak live.....do you have a link? I seem to be going thru a Rick James week....Superfreak, Getto Life, Give It To Me Baby, some very tidy bass playing on these, love the intro to Getto Life, Below The Funk....Street Songs great album

cheers

Edited by iconic

Always think of this [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwgvwFWK_dQ&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwgvwFWK_dQ...feature=related[/url] when I think of Rick James... classic Dave Chappelle, not for the easily offended!

Edited by risingson