Why become a member? ×

Instrument/Gear insurance

DaveMal

Hey guys and gal...

where do you get your instrument insurance from?? im going to be leaving my amp in a rehearsal room above a pub.. which isnt always the most secure place.. so i need some insurance.

I had some a long time ago that covered gear in rehearsal space.. being transported.. basically gear anywhere apart from in an unattended car.

Cheers folks.

How much is it worth ?

could join the Musicians union and get free insurance plus public liability, but it will cost you about £150 / year but would get loads of free advice inc contracts etc.

or try www.victorcknight.com

they have low rate / £ value for a few items would be cheaper option :)

Be careful, if you're leaving your gear somewhere you know isn't secure, your insurance might (rightly IMO) kick up a fuss if something happens and it's shown that it wasn't locked away.

I'm with the MU, still not sorted out my insurance but that's the best way to go IMO, it's worth the money for advice etc as well as insurance.

The MU is expensive if you just want instrument insurance: £165 quid assuming you're not entitled to student rates which gives you £2k of instrument insurance plus £10 Million public liability insurance and £10k personal accident insurance.

I just got a quote from Musicguard for £2K instrument insurance was £65 quid, and also included £10k personal accident and £1 million public liability insurance. That extra 9 million public liability costs you around a hundred quid - how much public liability does one bass player need?

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='1221803' date='May 6 2011, 12:11 AM']Be careful, if you're leaving your gear somewhere you know isn't secure, your insurance might (rightly IMO) kick up a fuss if something happens and it's shown that it wasn't locked away.

I'm with the MU, still not sorted out my insurance but that's the best way to go IMO, it's worth the money for advice etc as well as insurance.[/quote]

+ 1

This is why I went with Endsleigh... my gear is covered even if it gets stolen from the back of an open, unattended vehicle! All for £45 a year! Can't go wrong :)

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='skej21' post='1222604' date='May 6 2011, 09:09 PM']+ 1

This is why I went with Endsleigh... my gear is covered even if it gets stolen from the back of an open, unattended vehicle! All for £45 a year! Can't go wrong :)[/quote]

Check your T&C, I'm getting quotes for Endsleigh and to insure my instruments in an unattended vehicle it has to be locked with the equipment out of sight, but more importantly I have to buy the UK + 90 days EU cover (as opposed to UK only) even if said vehicle is in the UK. This works out a LOT more expensive (think £25 UK, £105 UK+EU). Still worth it IMO.

Oh dear God, thought I'd look at this as a sensible option, just wondering how on earth I am sat next to £4,300+ of musical equipment.
Endsleigh have quoted me £66.62 for the year, for UK only which seems alright?

Victor C Knight don't currently have a website, so are losing me as a potential customer, idiots.

Musicguard wanted £112 for the same as Endsleigh.

Also, would someone kindly tell me why purchasing my Warwick now would cost me a shade under twice as much as when I purchased it in 2006?

Edited by dc2009