Why become a member? ×

yet another "too good to be true"??

I've been in contact - they sent the serial No which I've subsequently deleted ( begins with R - couldn't find it on the database) - I'm assured it is genuine (in which case why so cheap??)

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-Custom-Shop-1964-Relic-Jazz-Bass-/120717950493?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item1c1b59be1d"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-Custom-Shop-1...=item1c1b59be1d[/url]

[quote name='TheGreek' post='1218819' date='May 3 2011, 04:49 PM']I've been in contact - they sent the serial No which I've subsequently deleted ( begins with R - couldn't find it on the database) - I'm assured it is genuine (in which case why so cheap??)

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-Custom-Shop-1964-Relic-Jazz-Bass-/120717950493?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item1c1b59be1d"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-Custom-Shop-1...=item1c1b59be1d[/url][/quote]

It's not cheap, it's an auction with three days left to run? It'll get a decent price.

Genuine what though? Is it supposed to be an original 1964 made custom shop (was there a custom shop in '64? I don't even know) bass or a more modern custom shop 1964 remake-type reliced job? The ad is somewhat ambiguous on that count, unless I'm being a dumb-arse (entirely possible/likely), but seems to want to imply the former without over-committing.

If I were selling an original '64 Jazz, my ad would be shouting from the rooftops that it was an original '64 jazz. If I wanted people to think it was a '64 but it wasn't, I'd be wording it more like that. If it's a re-issue, the word re-issue should be used!

Edited by Maverick

Yup, on the surface it's a correct-looking CS 1964 reissue. Rxxxxxx is the correct format for the serial number.

And, as mentioned above - the only price that matters in an auction is the one at the end. It's not cheap - or otherwise - until then... :)

[quote name='Maverick' post='1218877' date='May 3 2011, 05:22 PM']Genuine what though? Is it supposed to be an original 1964 made custom shop (was there a custom shop in '64? I don't even know) bass or a more modern custom shop 1964 remake-type reliced job? The ad is somewhat ambiguous on that count, unless I'm being a dumb-arse (entirely possible/likely), but seems to want to imply the former without over-committing.

If I were selling an original '64 Jazz, my ad would be shouting from the rooftops that it was an original '64 jazz. If I wanted people to think it was a '64 but it wasn't, I'd be wording it more like that. If it's a re-issue, the word re-issue should be used![/quote]

No, there wasn't a Custom Shop in '64 (or at least, there wasn't a Fender 'Custom Shop' brand in '64). OK, the description could be better, but he's relying on those who would be genuinely interested in buying a bass worth in excess of £1500 knowing what they're looking at. He could say more in the listing for sure, I guess he just doesn't really need to for the bass to sell. He probably wasn't anticipating his listing receiving this level of scrutiny :)
C

[quote name='Beedster' post='1218907' date='May 3 2011, 05:47 PM']No, there wasn't a Custom Shop in '64 (or at least, there wasn't a Fender 'Custom Shop' brand in '64). OK, the description could be better, [b]but he's relying on those who would be genuinely interested in buying a bass worth in excess of £1500 knowing what they're looking at[/b]. He could say more in the listing for sure, I guess he just doesn't really need to for the bass to sell.[/quote]

True. Or he could just be hoping idiots like me who don't know their stuff are fooled - :)

[quote]He probably wasn't anticipating his listing receiving this level of scrutiny :)[/quote]

He obviously doesn't read basschat, or if he does he lurks as a guest and doesn't know that the ebay forum is here. :lol: