Why become a member? ×

65' Precision - dream bass!

Jebo1

I remember being offerred one of these for £2500 once and I thought that was overpriced, but, I gotta say this guitar looks beautiful.

[url="http://cgi.ebay.com/1965-orig-Candy-Apple-Red-Fender-Precision-Vintage-Bass_W0QQitemZ280200532399QQihZ018QQcategoryZ64401QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"]http://cgi.ebay.com/1965-orig-Candy-Apple-...1QQcmdZViewItem[/url]

I gotta say this is the perfect accompaniment to my 66 in Candy Apple Red. Not that I'd pay £4,000 for it though...!

Damn GAS :-)

[quote name='Jase' post='139834' date='Feb 13 2008, 08:26 PM']Do you reckon that's genuine wear and tear?[/quote]
Good God, no! It looks like it's been badly sprayed with something that reacted to what was already there, and then "reliced" to within an inch of its life, (with the roughest sandpaper possible) to hide the bodge job. :)

[quote name='BigAlonBass' post='139887' date='Feb 13 2008, 09:48 PM']Good God, no! It looks like it's been badly sprayed with something that reacted to what was already there, and then "reliced" to within an inch of its life, (with the roughest sandpaper possible) to hide the bodge job. :)[/quote]

I've seen a few like this and I'd say that it is original, finished age in very odd ways!

[quote name='Jebo1' post='140704' date='Feb 14 2008, 11:13 PM']I've seen a few like this and I'd say that it is original, finished age in very odd ways![/quote]

My gut feel on this is that it IS original too. I am easily fooled so who knows but it looks like a cracking bass to me!

Steve

[quote name='BigAlonBass' post='139887' date='Feb 13 2008, 09:48 PM']Good God, no! It looks like it's been badly sprayed with something that reacted to what was already there, and then "reliced" to within an inch of its life, (with the roughest sandpaper possible) to hide the bodge job. :huh:[/quote]
Hmmm. Who might do that with a poorly refinished CAR Precision (that he'd been told was an original finish) to try and sell it then?

:)

[quote name='thedonutman' post='141432' date='Feb 15 2008, 11:17 PM']Whats with the silver undercoat on red fenders?

I've got a red MIM jazz with a light chip in it, and it was silver, weird eh?[/quote]

Candy Apple Red (metallic) finish had a metallic base coat applied first. This is followed by a translucent colour coat, and finally by a clear coat.
Fender typically used a white primer under the metallic basecoat to limit the amount of basecoat needed. The base coat used by Fender was usually silver until 1965/1966, and gold starting some time in 1966. The final finish looks slightly different depending on the color of the basecoat. Gold basecoat makes the CAR look more maroon and turns brownish-red with age. Silver is the much cooler basecoat as the color is more red than maroon and ages better...

It looks like your MIM jazz was painted in a similar way...

[quote name='Muppet' post='141472' date='Feb 16 2008, 01:33 AM']That's great info there 99ster.

I have to say, that is one if not THE one bass that I would love to own. Now, fingers crossed for tomorrow's lottery....[/quote]

Yes - that one's a beauty for sure... Apparently CAR was also Leo's favourite Fender colour.
:)
And I would agree with Lawrie - I'd say that finish & wear are original.