Why become a member? ×

Hadrien Feraud - slaps and feels the funk...

urb

Hey

When I was at the Musikmesse I caught Hadrien jamming with this great Russian bassist Anton Davidyants - AD slaps like a mutha and has a great groove - so Had was a slappin' away too and after was saying, 'Man I'm going to work on my slap...' - well here's a very recent clip of him funking it up with great African drummer Paco Sery's new band - and slapping out some cool stuff on his Ken Smith:

I think he's sounding very cool and really in the pocket

M

I think Hedrien is technically a great player, I really do. Admittedly not my thing but he's very good at what he does, no denying it!

But I hear technically 'competent' musicians playing in faux-funk bands like these all the time, and can't help feeling how generic and lifeless it sounds. There's almost no feel to it, the keyboard playing is as stiff as a board and the singer IMO can't actually sing particularly well. I appreciate talent on all sorts of levels and clearly they can all play, but as a band they just don't work to my ears. Sorry man, this is purely my opinion and I'm sure that there will be others that will totally disagree with me but I see a lot of bands like this through my old Uni and I always think it to be totally uninspired.

[quote name='risingson' post='1217916' date='May 2 2011, 07:03 PM']I think Hedrien is technically a great player, I really do. Admittedly not my thing but he's very good at what he does, no denying it!

But I hear technically 'competent' musicians playing in faux-funk bands like these all the time, and can't help feeling how generic and lifeless it sounds. There's almost no feel to it, the keyboard playing is as stiff as a board and the singer IMO can't actually sing particularly well. I appreciate talent on all sorts of levels and clearly they can all play, but as a band they just don't work to my ears. Sorry man, this is purely my opinion and I'm sure that there will be others that will totally disagree with me but I see a lot of bands like this through my old Uni and I always think it to be totally uninspired.[/quote]

Fair enough - I still think Hadrien's a great player and he doesn't need me to defend him so I won't - horses for courses, old school vs new school etc etc - personally I think there's room for everything - I like his groove on this but you're right his style is way more technical than perhaps is necessary for this stuff, but I really just posted this as I like the fact he's stepping out in different styles now, and trying to get away from being labelled as a fusion guy.

[quote name='urb' post='1217970' date='May 2 2011, 07:48 PM']Fair enough - I still think Hadrien's a great player and he doesn't need me to defend him so I won't - horses for courses, old school vs new school etc etc - personally I think there's room for everything - I like his groove on this but you're right his style is way more technical than perhaps is necessary for this stuff, but I really just posted this as I like the fact he's stepping out in different styles now, and trying to get away from being labelled as a fusion guy.[/quote]

It wasn't actually Hadrien's playing that turned me off to the music, clearly his musical ability is of a high standard and I suspect he would be a great asset in a lot of different kinds of musical situations. My criticism is of the band as a whole. I like good groove music and the sum of the parts here would lead anyone who hasn't heard the band to assume that the result of the music would be great, but it falls short in feel and soul for me.

Edited by risingson

Urb, are you sure it's Hadrien back there?.. :)

Seriously though, it's nice to see than Hadrien is stepping out 'of his comfort zone', if you like, and doing more sideman stuff - this must be one of the most musical situations I've seen him involved in so far.

What about the band overall - well, in certain places they sound a bit messy.. But, judging from the musicians in the band (Hadrien, who has to be really busy, sax player - I think I saw him doing some Free stuff on Mezzo with his band, etc.), I suspect this was a 'scratch' gig, so that's probably why they don't sound that tight..

Watched it, and I really quite liked the overall feel :) I'm not saying it's a track I'd buy and give repeat listens to, but as a live performance and band I thought they had a good energy going on.

Faithless, I can see why you'd see it wasn't 'tight' per se, but I'd say that they'd made it intentionally a little bit more relaxed rather than syncopated-sparse-tight which we often associate with 'funk/jazz-funk' - I felt the underlying groove was solid. It certainly felt very busy, but to me it felt like they were going for that 'wall of sound' type approach like some of James Brown's later stuff or some of Lettuce's busier stuff. All in all I thought it was good fun!

Edited by mcgraham

[quote name='risingson' post='1217916' date='May 2 2011, 07:03 PM']I think Hedrien is technically a great player, I really do. Admittedly not my thing but he's very good at what he does, no denying it!

But I hear technically 'competent' musicians playing in faux-funk bands like these all the time, and can't help feeling how generic and lifeless it sounds. There's almost no feel to it, the keyboard playing is as stiff as a board and the singer IMO can't actually sing particularly well. I appreciate talent on all sorts of levels and clearly they can all play, but as a band they just don't work to my ears. Sorry man, this is purely my opinion and I'm sure that there will be others that will totally disagree with me but I see a lot of bands like this through my old Uni and I always think it to be totally uninspired.[/quote]
I'm afraid I can only agree, sorry. it just ain't got the funk. And I instantly 'disliked' the singer. Funk is a lifestyle.

Soz Mike :)