Why become a member? ×

USB Audio Interfaces

niceguyhomer

Hiya homer.
Yes, the interface is basically a couple of inputs and a couple of outputs, depending on what box it is there may be a few extras like digital connections or phantom power for condenser mics.
These interfaces basically replace the ones you have on your laptop,(or desktop), giving a much better audio path with higher bandwidth and quality overall.
Most software packages like Cubase, wavelab etc, will "see" this box once properly installed, as a place it gets it`s signals from,so you can record directly into the software recorder of your choice.
From what you posted I`m assuming you would import the tunes you wish to play along /rehearse to, onto one track of the software,and then have your bass routed to the next chan so you can balance them and use it as a workstation with headphones, or have the output of the interface connected to your HiFi amp.(e.g the Aux input).
Once you think you`ve nailed it, hit record and capture your playing for playback later.
Hope this helps,
MM

Thanks Monckyman.

What it is - I'm coming to the end of my gigging days and want to keep playing my bass as a gentle pastime. I thought I'd turn my den into a kind of studio so I can play along to stuff from different sources (pc/hi-fi/tascam BT) etc and when I can get my head in gear, do a bit of a recording. I can play guitar to a decent standard and will buy a drum machine so I can do some writing.

My problem is I'm absolutely thick when it comes to this kind of thing - technology has passed me by :)

If it's possible, I'd like to use a small mixer and put everything through that into my pc (I'd be buying an external soundcard) and have the facility to hear it all through (presumably) powered monitors or a decent set of headphones when volume is an issue (late evening etc).

I thought I'd buy the various components in stages and learn about them about it all as I go but I don't really understand or know what I need at this stage cos I is fik innit.

With a small powered mixer you wouldn't actually need to use your PC if all you wanted to do was play along in real-time. If you wanted to record a bit then play it back whilst playing over the top or recording a little bit more then a USB interface is ideal. I use one of [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110680475196&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT"]these[/url]

I can plug my bass straight in to it as well as a drum machine at the same time and record both parts simultaneously on to the computer (I use Pro Tools but you can use lots of other stuff). I can also listen through headphones from the unit or plug the channel outputs to the my powered monitors. I don't need to record though, I can just use it for playback. No separate soundcard is needed - it is the soundcard. The unit itself is dead easy to use, learning the software on the PC is a bit more difficult but not too bad.

Cheers

Steve

Can't imagine not having one now (USB interface). So easy, portable and good quality. I have one of these [url="http://www.dv247.com/news/Saffire%206%20USB%20Focusrite%20USB%20Audio%20Interface/132341"]Focusrite[/url] which is well built and good quality. Take it round peoples places with my laptop and use as a mobile studio. Use it at home to pratice.

OK done a bit more research now and I'm leaning towards a Focusrite Saffire 6 USB jobby and a pair of KRK Rokit G2 RP5 avtive monitors. Please help me with a couple of questions....I know I can plug my bass in and another device such as a drum machine, record it to my pc and hear everything through the monitors. Can I play along to music stored on my pc through the monitors?

EDIT - can I also put my Tascam BT through the monitors?

Edited by niceguyhomer

Aargh, my nicely typed reply just disappeared!

To summarise, you can hear both computer sounds (eg MP3s) and whatever's going into the interfaces inputs through your speakers/headphones. The 'mixer' control on the Focustrite does this job, balancing between the 2 audio sources so you could run your BT and play along to an MP3 no problem.

As for going through your hi-fi, just get a stereo phono lead and go from the back of the interface into your hi-hi amplifier and use it as normal. You don't need a pair of expensive powered monitors if you've already got nice hi-fi equipment, although it's up to you. Connecting speakers designed for computers is more difficult as they have mini jack connectors which most interfaces don't have an output for.

Finally, it will be easier if you use an external tone shaper (eg POD or your Tascam if that's one of its features) instead of going through a VST (eg Amplitube) to avoid any potential driver conflicts. For example, I can't do anything that requires sound if I'm running sequencing software (Reaper in my case) as there's no sound from anything but the sequencer. This means I can't load up Reaper, fire up a guitar amp simulator and jam along to an MP3 in Windows Media Player. This might be specific to my computer as my interface is now unsupported.

Any questions, feel free to ask and I'm sure they'll be answered.

Thanks GarethFlatlands, it's all starting to come a bit clearer now. I was actually hoping to use my hifi for monitoring cos that'll save money I can use for upgrading my headphones. I'll probably need better speakers - ATM I'm using Gale Gold Monitors which sound bloody marvellous 3ft from my ears with cds and mp3s etc but I'm not sure how bass will sound through them (I use 5 and 6 stringers). My amp is a NAD 3020.

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='1213796' date='Apr 28 2011, 01:32 PM']and will buy a drum machine so I can do some writing.[/quote]
Here's a nice software drum machine you can try for free, all features enabled. It's easy and there's no limit on the trial period, just a nag screen. As it's software, you won't need an input channel.

[url="http://www.leafdigital.com/software/leafdrums/"]http://www.leafdigital.com/software/leafdrums/[/url]

If you like it, you can substitute the 'factory' drum sounds (which are a bit crap) for better samples. Of which I have some if you want them.

[quote name='son of frog' post='1215285' date='Apr 29 2011, 08:20 PM']I have a focusrite saffire 6 interface i'm selling at the moment if you'd be interested, Mint as new with box etc.

Great piece of kit, its just a shame it doesn't get used enough for me to keep it.

PM me if you do.

-Tom[/quote]Just an agree with you on the nice bit of kit bump. I dropped mine on the parquet floor in the dining room :) Plugged it in and good as new. It has a metal case which i think makes a difference. The knobs are robust and the preamps if you use them are quality for such little price. I tried M-Audio which i like as internal sound cards but this was much better than their (plastic) USB interface.

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='1215272' date='Apr 29 2011, 07:55 PM']Here's a nice software drum machine you can try for free, all features enabled. It's easy and there's no limit on the trial period, just a nag screen. As it's software, you won't need an input channel.

[url="http://www.leafdigital.com/software/leafdrums/"]http://www.leafdigital.com/software/leafdrums/[/url]

If you like it, you can substitute the 'factory' drum sounds (which are a bit crap) for better samples. Of which I have some if you want them.[/quote]

Thanks for that - unfortunately after 3 attempts to install it, I've given up. One of the files won't decompress.

I use the guitar rig Session I/O - a little hardware thingy that comes with a cut-down version of guitar rig (inc bassamp), but when I got it there was an offer for a free update to the full version of guitar rig - I run that along with iTunes for an ideal headphone practice rig.

Edited by Jean-Luc Pickguard