Why become a member? ×

Mo Clifton Basses

BassBod

Mo Clifton is better known for his electric uprights, but he makes bass guitars too...

[attachment=5604:DSCN1098.JPG]

[attachment=5605:DSCN1101.JPG]

A travel bass (gitar scale, never measured it) fretless, a Cherry bass (30" scale) and the Downright (36" scale headless). All are passive, with various Kent or Aaron Armstrong pickups. Ever get bored of Fenders???

BB :)

Yes, all mine - two were built for me (almost ten years apart..) but the travel guitar was secondhand from a shop.

[attachment=5606:DSCN1100.JPG]

Its tuned as a regular five string, but an octave higher. Uses regular gitar strings, except the low B which is a bit bigger, Mo has these made (probably by Piccato in Wales?)

BB

Forgot to explain, the headless was routed ready for a circuit/battery cavity (on the basis I'd add one later, when I could afford it) but I never felt the need. It was also built as a lined fretless, but I had it fretted last year for a change. How fickle...eh?

Mo's site is www.cliftonbasses.co.uk for anyone who wants to see more of his work, although he seems to be spending more time in France these days, instead of breathing sawdust in our lovely English winters. Lucky b@gger

BB

Not so sure about loyalty...I've recently acquired a Bravewood P bass that's got me going all retro. There are plenty of situations where a headless five string gets you off to a bad start even before you plug it in - but if I want to use a five, this one balances (even with a 36" scale) has a fantastic low B and fits into a gitar bag. I just like Mo's designs because they work so well - each bass does the job it was made for.

I guess my ultimate now would be a Cherry/Jazz bass hybrid...so if anyone buys the gear I've got up for sale (and I could persuade Mo to make something so conventonal)??

BB

• 1 year later...

[quote name='BassBod' post='138238' date='Feb 11 2008, 03:43 PM']Mo Clifton is better known for his electric uprights, but he makes bass guitars too...[/quote]

And really rather amazing ones at that! The travel bass looks nice for pottering around on when you're bored on holiday but my favourite out of the 3 has to be the headless monster on the right. Looks like a really nice player.