Why become a member? ×

Rolling a neck edge

LITTLEWING

I've had a Yamaha RBX375 for a few years and recently acquired a 775 which has an infinitely more playable neck in the fact that the 'board egdes are either rolled or has beautiful time-worn wear. How would I go about rounding the edges of the relatively sharp 'board on the 375 ? Apparently the frets shouldn't be rolled, merely smoothed with 0000 grade wire wool. All hints and tips greatly appreciated.

Edited by LITTLEWING

I've done a couple of bass necks - used a big spark plug socket pressed firmly against the edge of the fingerboard. Ran it up and down a few times, varying the angle each time and pressing quite hard. It turned a sharp-edged neck into a smooth & comfy one.

Be aware you may have to smooth off fret ends. Also don't try this on a maple neck with lacquered fingerboard!

Okay chaps, call me stoopid, but I was under the impression that a very small amount of 'board would have to be removed to imitate natural wear. The idea of screwdriver shanks and spark plug sockets compressing the wood to form a 'round' sounds a bit odd. I was looking at a blade of sorts to actually shave the edge to make a smooth roll ?

Just to be difficult - Stanley knife.

Fingers cause the wear. But flesh is softer than wood. (Try pressing your finger against some wood and see which compresses first. It's not the wood). If the wood's not compressing, it must be wearing.

Not saying a screwdriver shaft / socket wouldn't do the job all handy-dandy. Just nitpicking the rationale like the annoying bastard I am :)

I've got to admit it's the screwdriver method that I've always read about. The wood's not going to decompress in a hurry, or I wouldn't still have all those little knocks on my necks where I've been a little careless. :)

I definitely wouldn't trust myself with a stanley knife - far too easy to take a bit too much off or leave little nicks in the wood.

There's no reason either method won't work. However wood removal is irreversible, while wood compression could probably be steamed out, especially if fresh.

I've done the spark plug socket technique on a couple of basses and been (continue to be) very pleased with the results. You do have to press surprisingly hard to create much of an effect.

The method I adopted involves holding a stanley blade almost vertical to the edge and 'scuffing' away very gently. That said, it's just one approach out of many.

[quote name='Ancient Mariner' post='1210566' date='Apr 25 2011, 01:06 AM']... wood removal is irreversible, while wood compression could probably be steamed out, especially if fresh.[/quote]
Entirely true. FWIW, next time I roll an edge I'll be trying the screwdriver / spark plug socket approach. It's all good.

Edited by skankdelvar