Why become a member? ×

EHX big muff?

dale1989

Was just wondering what you all think of the Electro Harmonix bass big muff?

i want something to give me that bit of crunch and have been recomended a big muff by my brother as he has the little big muff for his guitar and loves it...

if you dont rate this one then what would you recomend for quite a variety of sounds?

I use a bass big muff quite a lot. It is a lot more versatile for bass players than a standard Big Muff Pi. The 3 modes give very different useable tones, but the best by far is the "dry" setting, which leaves your clean tones and add a fuzz tone as well, sounding almost as if you are bi-amping. There are better fuzz's out there, but you will have to pay an awful lot more for them.

i got a big muff too, oo er

and yip, very nice sound coming out with good bottom end.
you might also consider the j-lo hyperdrive from Ashdown for that bit of crunch, again another good pedal but I've found not as in your face as the muff...just to keep the innuendo's going, j-lo keeps a nice bottom end

I too have a Bass Big Muff Pi, Its quite hard though to get the levels right using it in a live situation, because i have found that, although theres still low end in there it does lose a bit,

You can regain it by increasing the pedals Volume, but getting this right with a full band takes a lot of tinkering, because if you don't get it right it will either drown everyone else out or the opposite and you will be too quiet / be lost completely.

Great for messing about with, needs a lot of time spent perfecting it for a good live fuzz / crunch
As for your needs, just a bit of crunch, i would say go for the Ashdown as from what i've heard, you can keep all your lows and highs with that and just add a fuzz / crunch to your mid section, which sounds ideal.

Edited by son of frog

• 3 weeks later...

cheers for the replies... seem to be getting overall good response on the big muff, i've recently borrowed (be it without asking) my brothers whilst he's away so i'm going to have a good few sessions with it and see how i feel on it. i'm still open to other suggestions! cheers again fellas

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='webster' post='1233885' date='May 17 2011, 06:55 AM']Didn't Flea use the big muff on Sir psycho sexy, with a dying battery? Sounded awesome![/quote]
I think it was a MuTron with a dying battery. I've just got a BBM and I love it. I've had roughly 5 different dirt boxes in the last 12 months, but this is my favourite.

I picked up a bass big muff t'other day, and am really enjoying it so far. For the price, I haven't heard a more usable fuzz yet, although usability is subjective. The biggest plus for me is the versatility, I don't seem to have run into any problems yet getting this to either jump out and make people listen up, or sit it in the mix just to add some extra dirt. I've also found the bass boost (top mode of the switch) to be voiced about right so far, it's ballsy but not too crushing, everything just feels a bit heavier once you've stomped. You'll notice that there's a lot of "yet"s and "so far"s here, that's the reaction of a sound snob realising their go-to fuzz might have turned out to be an obvious and well priced choice for a change :)

If I had to criticise something about it (and I do), it'd be that it's a total sod to mute neatly when you've got it cranked. I like that squashy sound as some fuzzes/distortions tail off, but can't say I'm much of a fan of this one. On the bright side, it's making me clean up my playing a bit, until I can afford a decent noise gate at least :)

[quote name='dale1989' post='1204124' date='Apr 18 2011, 08:52 PM']Was just wondering what you all think of the Electro Harmonix bass big muff?

i want something to give me that bit of crunch and have been recomended a big muff by my brother as he has the little big muff for his guitar and loves it...

if you dont rate this one then what would you recomend for quite a variety of sounds?[/quote]

Why don't you try his big muff with your gear? The little version is practically the same as the bigger version.

I have a big muff pi and its great fuzz, keeps lies relatively intact with out destroying definition. Has good mid range response too, I tend to use it instead of overdrive or distortion.