Why become a member? ×

*gone - please remove*....Yamaha RBX800 early 90s bass FS/FT PRICE DROP!

gareth1982

the bridge was on it when I got it and I think it's the stock bridge, BUT it IS different to the bridge on my rbx800a. A few things are different on that though, like the active one has 24 frets whilst this has 22, the truss rob is accessed from the headstock end on the active, whereas this is accessed from other end of the fretboard.

As for the thumbwheels on the bridge, yes, they are like on a headless bass; turning them does alter the pitch..... Maybe it's not stock after all.....can anyone shed any light on it? I wasn't telling fibs when I said I haven't seen many!

Cheers

[quote name='gareth1982' post='1201403' date='Apr 15 2011, 11:53 PM']the bridge was on it when I got it and I think it's the stock bridge, BUT it IS different to the bridge on my rbx800a. A few things are different on that though, like the active one has 24 frets whilst this has 22, the truss rob is accessed from the headstock end on the active, whereas this is accessed from other end of the fretboard.[/quote]
Your 800A sounds like one of the early versions - with a six-bolt neck? This is a later version of the 800, also badge the 800E, and that's the stock bridge.

The bridge is standard. The thumbwheels are 'fine tuners' - totally pointless in my opinion as you can tune the thing easily using the machine heads, however the bridge is very massive and my guess is it contributes to the sound. i have one of these basses - not in as good nick - and it's a really great bass - picked it up for a snip in Crack Convertors. Worth every penny of what's being asked!

Thanks Noel and King. Yes, my active one has got 3 neck plates with 2 bolts in each, making it a 6 bolt neck, whereas this passive version has only 2 plates; 4 bolts. Yea, the 'fine tuners' are pretty much pointless, but like you said, it gives the bridge a lot of mass, adding to the sustain. So it is the stock bridge after all. I'm just having alittle tinkle on it now. It is so well made; pretty much like everything Yamaha make.

Cheers gents.

• 2 months later...

Agreed, but you get an alternative Place to tune the strings! It's absolutely 100% in tune all over the neck so the bridge works fine, if looking slightly space age

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='1285138' date='Jun 28 2011, 11:59 AM']I had one of these years ago... I seem to remember that they were actually quite expensive when new. A nice bass - the bridge is a bit weird though :)[/quote]

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...