Why become a member? ×

Headphones - are better ones any better?

niceguyhomer

I couldn't decide which small combo to buy for home practice so I just ordered a PJ Bass Buddy which'll also serve as a back up DI and recording tool. My headphones are pretty cheap but not nasty AKG K512s which I think I paid about £30 for. My question is, shall I use the £100 I've saved by not buying a combo on some better cans? Will I notice any difference?

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='1199780' date='Apr 14 2011, 07:14 PM']I couldn't decide which small combo to buy for home practice so I just ordered a PJ Bass Buddy which'll also serve as a back up DI and recording tool. My headphones are pretty cheap but not nasty AKG K512s which I think I paid about £30 for. My question is, shall I use the £100 I've saved by not buying a combo on some better cans? Will I notice any difference?[/quote]

I've posted this before, but in my opinion headphones start to get really good at a price-point that is much lower than for studio monitors/hifis. Really good pairs all sound more similar to each other IME - which you might expect, given that the reproduction is getting more accurate. Around £100 ('budget' in studio terms), there is more variation so you're best off looking for one that has a sound you're happy with if possible. Personally I really like Sennheisers, right across the range. I don't like cheap Sonys at all but I think the expensive ones are very nice . You should hear a LOT more detail on a £100 versus £30 pair, once your ears adjust. I definitely think it's worth it. Btw common convention is that open-backed are better for fidelity, closed-backed for isolation.

[quote name='51m0n' post='1199897' date='Apr 14 2011, 08:33 PM']Short answer, yes.

I want to try some Grado's one day, they get far more expensive than £100, and are purported to be the holy grail of headphones by some....[/quote]

Grados are where it's at.
Had many of them apart from the RS1/2 but I sold my GS1000 last year to fund bass purchases.
I'm left with the SR325i and SR80i and I'm more than happy with them.
Head-Fi wil give you lots of info.

I always recommend Sennheiser HD-25 ,bit more than £100 but completely modular so you can replace anything from the cable to the earpads ...(get a secondhand pair replace the earpads!)...great sound/pressure performance means you dont lose the bass as the volume goes up . Had a pair for 11 years and they're still great . Great detail and loads of volume.

I spent £125 on a set of Audio Tecnicas and £300 on a set of Bose headphones for normal ipad listening. I also compared the Bose to a set of Dr Dre's of a comparable value. While the quality of all of these was good, I don't believe it was enough to warrant the exta expense over my £30 Sennheiser running headphones.
The Audio Tecnicas were lacking in bass , Dre's were too bassy and the Bose were closest to what I wanted, but at £300 I expected them to be amazing but they are not, they are just good. If you just had the money to spare I'd go for the headphones, but IMHO I think you will get better value from the combo especially if you can pick up a decent second hand one on here. ( I got a 100w Hartrke for just over £100 and I'd rather have that than any of the headphones above)