Why become a member? ×

franken P build/assembly

steve

I've been wanting to do one of these for a while, and I recently won this of ebay for £36
[attachment=5496:ecdb_1.JPG][attachment=5494:eb49_1.JPG][attachment=5495:ec06_1.JPG]
It was advertised as having a crack in the neck, but I thought I'd take a chance anyway.

So it arrived, it was quite heavy but the neck was a POS, with an unglued brass nut. This prompted me to buy this - the pics don't do justice to the grain
[attachment=5497:6d44_1.JPG] [attachment=5498:3532_1.JPG].

The finish on the body was clearly not original, so I stripped of the paint, to reveal a single piece of possibly ash or alder?? with a lovely grain.
more pics to follow when i've got all the finish off.

I plan to finish it with tru-oil (same for the back of the neck), but before I make to many commitments, I'm going to string it up and see how it plays and sounds acoustically. The result will determine how much work I put into the oil finish, and whether or not it gets DarkStarred

Edited by steve

Very nice, I love these 'Franken-Threads' :)
(I will hopefully have updates for my Jazz one soon)

It fantastic that its a one piece body, I should think thats almost unheard of on stock instruments. Even special US Laklands are 2 piece mostly. If its got a nice grain, sounds more like Ash, Alder can be quite plain.
Is the new neck AllParts or similar?

Definitly Darkstar it, or I highly recommend the DiMarzio DP122

Si

[quote name='Sibob' post='136956' date='Feb 9 2008, 01:45 AM']Very nice, I love these 'Franken-Threads' :)
(I will hopefully have updates for my Jazz one soon)

It fantastic that its a one piece body, I should think thats almost unheard of on stock instruments. Even special US Laklands are 2 piece mostly. If its got a nice grain, sounds more like Ash, Alder can be quite plain.
Is the new neck AllParts or similar?

Definitly Darkstar it, or I highly recommend the DiMarzio DP122

Si[/quote]

cheers Si,

After more time with the Nitromors, I discovered to my mild embarrassment that it is in fact a two piece body, but it's only really apparant at the ends,

I've no idea what the neck is, there's no manufacturers markings on it, feels nice tho.

I'm still undecided about the darkstar, I don't know if I can be arsed routing it out. Another option is a thumper from Wizard Pickups. My only xp of diMarzios is the ultra jazzes, which I was very impressed with, (Si - I'm still considering your offer by the way) so I may well look into a DP122

Cool man, oh and to answer your PM observation, no I don't sell windows or houses, but I do negotiate music contracts lol.

If you're ever down this way before you decide on what pickups for the P, you're more then welcome to give my DiMarzio'd Precision a go! The DP122 is quite high output, not as hot as the UltraJazzes, but pretty hefty. I've not tryed any Wizards, but they do get good reviews all over this site it seems :).

And thats still pretty sweet that its a 2 piece body!

Looking forward to some more pics of it stripped etc

Si

Edited by Sibob

[quote name='Sibob' post='137438' date='Feb 10 2008, 02:31 AM']Cool man, oh and to answer your PM observation, no I don't sell windows or houses, but I do negotiate music contracts lol.[/quote]
I could tell you were involved in some kind of wheeling and dealing! :)

[quote name='Sibob' post='137438' date='Feb 10 2008, 02:31 AM']If you're ever down this way before you decide on what pickups for the P, you're more then welcome to give my DiMarzio'd Precision a go! The DP122 is quite high output, not as hot as the UltraJazzes, but pretty hefty.[/quote]
cheers for the offer, I may take you up on that if I'm in the area. Oh yeah, I had a quick look at your Jazz build thread, My Ultra's are for a 5string, are they for different project?

I've now finished removing the finish from the body....
before
[attachment=5546:PIC_0542.JPG]
during
[attachment=5547:PIC_0543.JPG]
after
[attachment=5548:PIC_0545.JPG]

I still need to sand out a few bits of black finish that were sprayed onto areas where the original clear finish had worn away :)

I had to sand out the neck pocket slightly so the neck would fit.

I'm having more thoughts about the finish to the body, I quite fancy getting a really dark grain filler (black?) and then staining the body with white woodstain to maintain the bleached out look. And then an oil finish.

Any advice/warnings by anyone with more experience than me (that's everyone!) would be gratefully received

[quote name='steve' post='137686' date='Feb 10 2008, 05:09 PM']I've now finished removing the finish from the body....
before
[attachment=5546:PIC_0542.JPG]
during
[attachment=5547:PIC_0543.JPG]
after
[attachment=5548:PIC_0545.JPG]

I still need to sand out a few bits of black finish that were sprayed onto areas where the original clear finish had worn away :)

I had to sand out the neck pocket slightly so the neck would fit.

I'm having more thoughts about the finish to the body, I quite fancy getting a really dark grain filler (black?) and then staining the body with white woodstain to maintain the bleached out look. And then an oil finish.

Any advice/warnings by anyone with more experience than me (that's everyone!) would be gratefully received[/quote]

Hey hey - thats starting to look really interesting! Body looks great. Are you going to go for a Fender-style bridge for P-thud or something like a Badass? Also, where did you get the neck from, and is it P-style dimensions or thinner like a Jazz? Might be interested in doing a similar build/restoration.

Pluck

Edited by sgt-pluck

[quote name='sgt-pluck' post='137740' date='Feb 10 2008, 06:44 PM']Hey hey - thats starting to look really interesting! Body looks great. Are you going to go for a Fender-style bridge for P-thud or something like a Badass? Also, where did you get the neck from, and is it P-style dimensions or thinner like a Jazz? Might be interested in doing a similar build/restoration.

Pluck[/quote]

hi pluck, thanks for the comments. At this stage, I'm prob going to use the existing F style bridge, and add an ashtray, but everything is in a constant state of flux.

The neck was bought second hand off ebay, and is standard P size.

I would recommend having a go, just don't expect to gety too much bass practice whilst you're doing it :)

[quote name='steve' post='137686' date='Feb 10 2008, 05:09 PM']I'm having more thoughts about the finish to the body, I quite fancy getting a really dark grain filler (black?) and then staining the body with white woodstain to maintain the bleached out look. And then an oil finish.

Any advice/warnings by anyone with more experience than me (that's everyone!) would be gratefully received[/quote]

i think if you stain the body you might have trouble putting an oil finish over the top of it, i could be wrong of course

this is what oil would look like compared to bare wood

[quote name='spree' post='138992' date='Feb 12 2008, 06:06 PM']i think if you stain the body you might have trouble putting an oil finish over the top of it, i could be wrong of course

this is what oil would look like compared to bare wood

[/quote]

thanks for the pic, that's not really what I'm looking for.

After more surfing, my plan now is to bleach it white, apply black grain filler, sand it back and then apply some kind of clear coat, which will hopefully give me something like this F bass back...
[attachment=5630:66i5ag.jpg]

Before I get to that tho, I've decided to shape the body so it's more like my Fender P - basically a bit more contoured

• 2 weeks later...

After more changing my mind, and wailing and gnashing of teeth, and looking at the pic spree posted, and admiring the tru-oil finish on the neck, [i]and[/i] taking into account I have 73/74ths of a bottle of tru-oil left, I've gone for a tru-oil finish to the body....

[attachment=5834:PIC_0548.jpg][attachment=5835:PIC_0550.jpg][attachment=5836:PIC_0554.jpg]

I still have some wet sanding to do, but its getting there. Next job is to get the nut filed and the tuners on so I can string it up for a try out.

The pickguard will clearly have to go. I'm undecided (wot again?) about what to go for, I thought maybe part clear/part coloured to hide the control route. At this stage, I'm planning on not using a tone or vol control. As far as pup goes, I am leaning heavily towards a wizard atm.

So anyone have any ideas or thoughts about pickguards?

It does seem a shame to cover that sexy grain!!
How about a partial p-bass plate to cover the rout, jazz bass styley, but maybe a bit more slimline, so just covering the rout.......and made of wood :)

Then put some pickup surrounds around the pickups to cover the gaps, Yamaha BB styley.

Si

Edited by Sibob

thanks for the suggestions fellas, what i think I'm going to try is a stingray type chrome control panel, and a small red tort pickup surround, leaving as much of the wood exposed as possible.

I got the strings on yesterday and had a try - and it was pretty good. The nut needs some more filing and tidying and the trussrod needs more tweaking, but it's definately worth the effort and outlay so far

• 4 weeks later...

it's been a while since i updated this thread, but i have been busy with the bass, here's a couple of pics (sorry about the poor quality)

[attachment=6818:PIC_0569.jpg]

[attachment=6820:PIC_0572.jpg]

it has a satin oil finish (i used liberon and steel wool after sanding back the tru-oil and re-contouring the body a bit), which I'm considering waxing, but the pictures don't do the grain justice, the oil added loads of depth which catches the light nicely

it now has a piezo bridge, along with the original pickup with stacked vol/tone knobs for each. I've knocked up and fitted a quick buffer for the piezo today, but still ironing out some electronics issues. The abalone plate hides some of the original routing, but doubles up as a battery cover. I'm thinking of putting together a mixer stage to match the output levels of the mag and the piezo, but the next job is completing the setup while I mull over all things electronical.....

• 1 month later...

Been busy on other things for a while, and after yet another small rethink, here's where I'm at.....

[attachment=8411:PIC_0607.JPG]
[attachment=8409:PIC_0603.JPG]
[attachment=8410:PIC_0604.JPG]

since I last posted on the thread, I managed to acquire a diMarzio model p pickup, which is now installed, and I decided to add a modified pickguard, since it didn't sit right with the lower horn without the modification. I rehashed the piezo preamp, and fitted a gotoh battery box to the back. The diMarzio is wired passively for now. Sounds nice through my Fender practice combo, not tried it through my Ampeg yet tho.....

So all that's left to do is drill the holes for the pickguard screws, tidy up the cut edge of the pickguard a little more and then maybe experiment with the tone cap values a bit since the tone knob affects the volume level of the P more than I'd like

How are you finding the DiMarzio steve?
I have the same p'up in my white Precision project! I really like it, growly but a lot hotter!

I love the grain in that body, and the custom pickguard is growing on me!

Si

[quote name='neepheid' post='192156' date='May 5 2008, 11:48 AM']I like the custom pickguard, coupled with the chrome control cavity cover. Seems like a modern take on the original P-bass :)[/quote]

cheers, it sort of evolved really - i'm glad it did tho'. I was sitting there scratching my head thinking should I/ shouldn't I take a hacksaw to the pickguard for quite a while. I think it's remeniscent of a jazz bass too

[quote name='Sibob' post='192294' date='May 5 2008, 04:09 PM']How are you finding the DiMarzio steve?
I have the same p'up in my white Precision project! I really like it, growly but a lot hotter![/quote]
I like it, it's a big improvement on the stock one I was using. I'll get to try it at the rehearsal rooms tomorrow through the ampeg

[quote name='Sibob' post='192294' date='May 5 2008, 04:09 PM']I love the grain in that body, and the custom pickguard is growing on me!

Si[/quote]

Yeah it's lovely isn't it, I was amazed that someone had painted over it

[quote name='Jobiebass' post='192659' date='May 6 2008, 08:45 AM']I cant tell from the pic, but does the black SP go under the chrome pot cover?[/quote]

no, the pickguard doesn't go under the cover, i've cut it to sit alongside

[quote name='Jobiebass' post='192659' date='May 6 2008, 08:45 AM']The grain is lovely! you should be well pleased with it![/quote]

cheers, and yeah, i am really pleased. :)

[quote name='lwtait' post='196167' date='May 10 2008, 06:44 PM']that reminds me of a musicman sabre mixed with a gibson grabber mixed with a precision. i like.[/quote]

cheers - I can see the similarities

I tried it at practice the other night and it sounds great, it had a great variety of tone, and it was comfortable to play despite it's weight. I have to check a couple of niggles out but as I've started planning my next project, I think I'll consider it finished :)

• 1 year later...

ok i'm updating the thread because the bass is going fretless.

I've bought a zebrano neck with an unlined santos rosewood neck - [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=58161&view=findpost&p=578151"]pics here[/url].

I've drilled out the offending broken screws and drill bit - I'll put pics up later, but I have a couple of questions

1) should I be using hardwood dowel to fill the holes or will anything do, and what's the best wood adhesive to use or will any do?

2) what's the best material for a nut?

I'll ask these questions in the repairs tech issues also