Why become a member? ×

Importing Hipshot supertone bridge

dickandjill

I am just finishing off a EB3 style bass build and I am thinking of buying a Hipshot Supertone bridge
from the US as in the UK it seems one would cost me £125
I can get one for around £70 from Guitar parts Resource including delivery.
How much duty would be payable on this? I presume VAT at 20% Import duty? Customs charge?

Also where in the uk can I buy the threaded inserts for fitting to the body ? Or would it be possible to fix the bridge
with large stainless self tapping screws?

Thanks
Richard

[quote name='kerley' post='1196965' date='Apr 12 2011, 04:04 PM']Recently purchased som Hipshot superlight tuners and an A type bridge from US and both were sent with a $25 total listed on the customs form so I didn't pay an extra penny. I have a feeling you may be lucky if you get my drift...[/quote]
Which is fine until your package gets lost in the post and you can only claim $25 on the insurance.

You have to weigh up whether you are prepared to pay a little extra to HMRC or risk losing nearly everything if there's a problem with the delivery.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='1197013' date='Apr 12 2011, 04:47 PM']Which is fine until your package gets lost in the post and you can only claim $25 on the insurance.

You have to weigh up whether you are prepared to pay a little extra to HMRC or risk losing nearly everything if there's a problem with the delivery.[/quote]

Why would I be claiming on insurance, I am the buyer? If the item is lost in the post then the seller will be refunding me and then claiming the loss from the courier. So that is the sellers risk/loss. An even bigger risk is that they get caught for doing it as there are some hefty fines in the US for this.

I did not ask them to do it and have no personal risk in them doing it but just pointed out that it was a nice thing for them to do and I would happily use them again in the future.

I've just received a Hipshot Supertone I ordered from GPS through their E-bay store and they've done the same with me - valued the goods at $25. Very happy with it.

If our own Chancellor can avoid paying tax on his trust fund, I have no qualms about stuffing the VATman. All power to GPS!