Why become a member? ×

Budget Monitors for Studio Advice please

Dropzone

Yep stands makes sense. Will anything do or is there anything I should avoid

There are enough good reviews of the Yams to give me confidence in buying blind, and they seem to go for around £200 - £250 for a pair and not need a woofer so they tick all the boxes. Looks like I missed a pair up in aberdeen, need to find some on the south coast ;-)

Couple here may be worth looking at:

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Pair-Yamaha-HS-50M-powered-monitor-speakers-/110673347197?pt=UK_ConElec_SpeakersPASystems_RL&hash=item19c4a5427d"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Pair-Yamaha-HS-50M-p...=item19c4a5427d[/url]

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Yamaha-HS50M-Main-Stereo-Speakers-PAIR-/300543960390?pt=UK_AudioVideoElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_HiFiSpeakers&hash=item45f9d0e546"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Yamaha-HS50M-Main-St...=item45f9d0e546[/url]

[quote name='Dropzone' post='1203502' date='Apr 18 2011, 12:37 PM']The HM80s are getting slightly better reviews due to the better bass response.

Decisions decisions[/quote]

That's what I use - there are two types, the HS80 and the HS80m. The HS80m is a smaller version. They're great monitors, fantastic, flat sound which in conjunction with a decent set of headphones you can get a great mix. I use the Focusrite 24 DSP with the Virtual Room Monitoring software which will give you a number of scenarios through headphones (professional studio, Hi-Fi, flat screen TV and a number of various monitors.) I use this in conjunction with the HS80s and have achieved some great results.

It hurts me to say this but GAK are the cheapest for these with two plus a vibropad (that I think the missus will like) for £380. This is where my money will be going unless anyone knows somewhere cheaper.

Can someone sort some discount for chatters at GAK???

Ta

Mike

That will need either pretty nifty monitoring (tiny ickle bookshelf nearfields wont cut it, something as hefty as the old Circle 5s should be fine though).

The best bit about the headphones and 112dB thing for me is it removes the room from the equation. Not having areal monitoring space set up means that this at least gives me a definite platform to work in.

[quote name='51m0n' post='1213896' date='Apr 28 2011, 03:51 PM']The best bit about the headphones and 112dB thing for me is it removes the room from the equation. Not having areal monitoring space set up means that this at least gives me a definite platform to work in.[/quote]

That's pretty similar to what the Focusrite Saffire 24 DSP does with its VRM (Virtual Room Monitoring) software. Its a pretty neat idea as it goes and with the right headphones you can get some really good mixes going.

For headphones I'd recommend the Beyerdynamic DT880s. I've got a pair and after reading the reviews, these come in a close second to the Sennheiser HD650s for a lot less sterling.

Dunno if others have said, but I'm working with KRK 8400 headphones, and they're fantastic!.
When I eventually add the saffire pro 24 DSP into the equation, I'll be a happy bunny :)

Si

[quote name='Sibob' post='1216632' date='May 1 2011, 04:08 PM']When I eventually add the saffire pro 24 DSP into the equation, I'll be a happy bunny :)

Si[/quote]

Get one mate, they're great. Be aware though, if you want to record more than two sound sources at the same time, you'll need an expansion unit like an Octopre MkII or something. So if you're doing live drums then this is a must.

KRK Rockit 5's are the worlds #1 selling monitors within a budget price range

I started out with these and then upgraded to the KRK VXT models

The market these days is very competative so i'm sure there may be cheaper equivalents but I was very impressed with the Rockit series.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...