Why become a member? ×

Loan of a bass head

ingenius

Good Afternoon Guys,
I was wondering if anybody who may live near to me ( Widnes cheshire ) ,would be willing to loan me a bass head even if only for a hour.
The Story :
I have a TC RH450 and my 2 passive basses a 2005 Ricky and a 1997 De-armond starfire hum badly unless you turn up the volume to full on both pick-ups or touch the strings.
My 2 active basses, a 2009 sandberg JJ california and a MM stingray 2007 are fine. I have e-mailed Tc support and they reckon its the basses fault, but i would like a sanity check as i find it a bit too coincidental that 2 basses are at fault. I have changed leads etc and before i do something drastic to the basses i would like to try a different Head
Incidentally I bought the passive Ricky and the De armond after i bought the RH450.
I am willing to pick up and will offer some security ie i will leave one of my active basses. please feel free to check my feedback under ingenius i am 100% trustworthy
If possible a class D head would be great
Thanks in advance
Keith M

[quote name='ingenius' post='1190570' date='Apr 6 2011, 03:01 PM']Good Afternoon Guys,
I was wondering if anybody who may live near to me ( Widnes cheshire ) ,would be willing to loan me a bass head even if only for a hour.
The Story :
I have a TC RH450 and my 2 passive basses a 2005 Ricky and a 1997 De-armond starfire hum badly unless you turn up the volume to full on both pick-ups or touch the strings.
My 2 active basses, a 2009 sandberg JJ california and a MM stingray 2007 are fine. I have e-mailed Tc support and they reckon its the basses fault, but i would like a sanity check as i find it a bit too coincidental that 2 basses are at fault.[/quote]
Sounds to my like a grounding issue on your passive basses, they are (IME) more prone to this anyway.

[quote name='markstuk' post='1190641' date='Apr 6 2011, 04:23 PM']Alternatively might make sense to take your basses and head to someone, rather than borrow their amp?

Cheers

Mark[/quote]
Hi Mark,
thanks for your reply, but my thought process was to leave everything in the same position plugged into the same ring main same room cab and cabling etc and that would confirm or not that the amp was at fault.
regards
Keith M

[quote name='Merton' post='1190642' date='Apr 6 2011, 04:23 PM']Sounds to my like a grounding issue on your passive basses, they are (IME) more prone to this anyway.[/quote]

MMM i am thinking this but the Ricky isnt really old, and has hardly been used before i got it.. it just seems a bit too coincidental that both basses have the exact same fault and behave in exactly the same way. Dont get me wrong if i have to pay to have rewires and improved sheilding i will.. but i really want to be certain.
regards
Keith M

The two Ricky 4003's I've played recently both had noise problems... It was worse when you were not touching the strings.... What was interesting (perhaps obvious) was that using radio bugs rather than a cable resolved the problem with the last one...

Cheers

Mark

[quote name='ingenius' post='1190659' date='Apr 6 2011, 04:40 PM']MMM i am thinking this but the Ricky isnt really old, and has hardly been used before i got it.. it just seems a bit too coincidental that both basses have the exact same fault and behave in exactly the same way. Dont get me wrong if i have to pay to have rewires and improved sheilding i will.. but i really want to be certain.
regards
Keith M[/quote]

[quote name='ingenius' post='1190659' date='Apr 6 2011, 04:40 PM']MMM i am thinking this but the Ricky isnt really old, and has hardly been used before i got it.. it just seems a bit too coincidental that both basses have the exact same fault and behave in exactly the same way. Dont get me wrong if i have to pay to have rewires and improved sheilding i will.. but i really want to be certain.
regards
Keith M[/quote]
It's not a fault per se, more a "feature" of passive basses. You can improve it but may not ever fully remove the buzz, sorry!

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1190766' date='Apr 6 2011, 06:07 PM']I'm junction 14 M6 if that's any better, Genz amp and Laney amp to test them with?[/quote]
Hi there,
thats very kind and about less than an hour away.. brilliant.. if there is no one nearer i will PM you. Would love to try the genz with the humming basses as it is a current d class like the RH450. Hopefully i can isolate this issue !
thanks again
Keith M

No worries just let me know if I can help, My Stingrays are silent through [i]every[/i] amp I have ever tried even the 82'. I can set up the Genz and the Laney which is normal class A side by side for you if no one is any nearer. If you Google map Little Haywood thats the little village im in for a better idea of distance, Probably J15 and down the A51 from you. :)

I'm coming over to the United game tomorrow from Wakefield so could bring an amp with me. I meet with mates in The Hope near Hope Hospital, 6 till 6.45 or so

If you drop it back to a mates house in stockton heath, he can bring it to our next rehearsal. Alternatively, I'm back for next home game on easter saturday

[quote name='mikegatward' post='1195883' date='Apr 11 2011, 04:06 PM']I'm coming over to the United game tomorrow from Wakefield so could bring an amp with me. I meet with mates in The Hope near Hope Hospital, 6 till 6.45 or so

If you drop it back to a mates house in stockton heath, he can bring it to our next rehearsal. Alternatively, I'm back for next home game on easter saturday[/quote]
Wow Mike.. that would be great for the easter saturday.. and Stockton Heath is 15 mins away. Perfect, you are very kind and hopefully it will bottom the issue out once an for all ( i even considered buying another amp !!). I will arrange the details with you next week..
again Many many thanks
regards
Keith Murray

Edited by ingenius

[quote name='ingenius' post='1190570' date='Apr 6 2011, 03:01 PM']Good Afternoon Guys,
The Story :
My 2 active basses, a 2009 sandberg JJ california and a MM stingray 2007 are fine. I have e-mailed Tc support and they reckon its the basses fault, but i would like a sanity check as i find it a bit too coincidental that 2 basses are at fault. I have changed leads etc and before i do something drastic to the basses i would like to try a different Head
Incidentally I bought the passive Ricky and the De armond after i bought the RH450.
I am willing to pick up and will offer some security ie i will leave one of my active basses. please feel free to check my feedback under ingenius i am 100% trustworthy
If possible a class D head would be great
Thanks in advance
Keith M[/quote]

Ok Guys a quick update:
I have accepted Mikes kind offer of a loan of his amp
But Anyway, last night i was scrapping off my daughters old PC and I looked at the mains lead ( kettle type) and had an idea. I swapped it with the one in the TC and the Hum has dissapeared on both basses and full use of pick-ups and volume controls, only very slight microphonic effect which is to be expected. I am gonna monitor it over the next week or so to make sure it is not something else going unstable. But it looks promising so far.
thanks to all again
Keith M

That's an odd fault.
Did you get the original cable tested by an electrician who could do an earth test on it.
Let us know outcome.

I was going to suggest you take your bass to the nearest bass shop and try with their amps.
I think Glasgow would be a bit too far to try my amp. :)

Cheers
Dave

[quote name='dmccombe7' post='1196783' date='Apr 12 2011, 01:41 PM']That's an odd fault.
Did you get the original cable tested by an electrician who could do an earth test on it.
Let us know outcome.

I was going to suggest you take your bass to the nearest bass shop and try with their amps.
I think Glasgow would be a bit too far to try my amp. :)

Cheers
Dave[/quote]

Hi Dave,
being a typical electrician ( in a previous life), and after the frustration it has caused, i binned it and the 4 gang it was plugged into. I really couldnt be bothered getting the continuity tester out only to find that after moving it i had disturbed it back into operation and it becoming an intermittent fault would only confuse the issue... Thats my excuse anyway ..Wrong i know, but sometimes its just easier not to get bogged down. Dont know if i am out of the trees yet but I will monitor it. Mike is loaning me his Amp if the fault returns so i can discount these cabling variables.
Funnily enough I am up in Glasgow Thursday friday this week as my work takes me there once a month.. Staying in the Glasgow Thistle thursday night.. usually go to Lauders at the bottom of Suchehall Street for a pint, and see who is on at King Tuts
regards
Keith M

[quote name='ingenius' post='1196953' date='Apr 12 2011, 03:44 PM']Hi Dave,
being a typical electrician ( in a previous life), and after the frustration it has caused, i binned it and the 4 gang it was plugged into. I really couldnt be bothered getting the continuity tester out only to find that after moving it i had disturbed it back into operation and it becoming an intermittent fault would only confuse the issue... Thats my excuse anyway ..Wrong i know, but sometimes its just easier not to get bogged down. Dont know if i am out of the trees yet but I will monitor it. Mike is loaning me his Amp if the fault returns so i can discount these cabling variables.
Funnily enough I am up in Glasgow Thursday friday this week as my work takes me there once a month.. Staying in the Glasgow Thistle thursday night.. usually go to Lauders at the bottom of Suchehall Street for a pint, and see who is on at King Tuts
regards
Keith M[/quote]

I'm actually from outside Lanark area but its easier to describe it as Glasgow to anyone south of the border. They generally know roughly where Glasgow is.
Lauders - now there's a bar and a half. I haven't been in there since the old Apollo shut back in the 80's.
I generally go to Bon Accord up at Charing Cross area next to my beloved Harley Davidson dealer. Good real ale and pretty good food at reasonable pub grub prices. Big screen TV for football fans.

I can understand the busmans holiday thing and not wasting time trying to find an intermittent fault onlty to throw it out anyway.
You mentioned a 4 bar - could the fault have been the 4 bar as they are renowned for causing poor connections and eventual fires. I only ever buy good quality 4 bars if needed but try to avoid if possible.

Have a good "holiday" in Glasgow. If I had lived nearer hand i would have dropped in but 35 miles is a little too far.

All best mate
Dave
:)