Why become a member? ×

Fender custom shop James Jamerson P

Noisyjon

Is this a good /fair price for this bass.
I am aware they exist but have never seen one up for sale.

Am going to see about PX-ing some gear if it seems OK.

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FENDER-CUSTOM-SHOP-JAMES-JAMERSON-1962-PRECISION-BASS_W0QQitemZ160205935746QQihZ006QQcategoryZ4713QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"]eBay link[/url]

Edited by jonthebass

[quote name='David Nimrod' post='135773' date='Feb 7 2008, 02:29 PM']What makes this any better (as a player) than any other '62 Reissue?

Is it the fact that it's from the Fender Custom Shop?

How good are these FCS instruments?

Or to put it another way, what actually makes a good Precision?[/quote]

That's what I'd like to know too.

Anyone?

[quote name='jonthebass' post='135770' date='Feb 7 2008, 02:24 PM']Is this a good /fair price for this bass.
I am aware they exist but have never seen one up for sale.

Am going to see about PX-ing some gear if it seems OK.

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FENDER-CUSTOM-SHOP-JAMES-JAMERSON-1962-PRECISION-BASS_W0QQitemZ160205935746QQihZ006QQcategoryZ4713QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"]eBay link[/url][/quote]

If you really do want it you'd be much better off doing a cash deal. That shop are dealers of a similar ilk to 'Vintage & Rare' (though their prices are maybe not quite as insanely high) - which means they will really only be interested in PX-ing for other vintage/collectable guitars & even then they'll still give you a rubbish deal. Once you ask about doing a PX then they're 'in control' of the deal - that's not what you want with dealers. With cash you're in control & can squeeze them on price as hard as you like...

As for how good this is? I'm sure it is a lovely bass - but it's still only a pretend vintage bass...
IMHO to me that's £2K I could put towards buying a REAL 1962 Precision - which is a truly great bass, if not one of the best ever made. In fact you could get a nice refin 1962 Precision for not much more...

Edited by 99ster

[quote name='99ster' post='136173' date='Feb 7 2008, 11:27 PM']If you really do want it you'd be much better off doing a cash deal. That shop are dealers of a similar ilk to 'Vintage & Rare' (though their prices are maybe not quite as insanely high) - which means they will really only be interested in PX-ing for other vintage/collectable guitars & even then they'll still give you a rubbish deal. Once you ask about doing a PX then they're 'in control' of the deal - that's not what you want with dealers. With cash you're in control & can squeeze them on price as hard as you like...

As for how good this is? I'm sure it is a lovely bass - but it's still only a pretend vintage bass...
IMHO to me that's £2K I could put towards buying a REAL 1962 Precision - which is a truly great bass, if not one of the best ever made. In fact you could get a nice refin 1962 Precision for not much more...[/quote]

I hear what you're saying 99ster.

[quote name='David Nimrod' post='135773' date='Feb 7 2008, 02:29 PM']What makes this any better (as a player) than any other '62 Reissue?

Is it the fact that it's from the Fender Custom Shop?

How good are these FCS instruments?

Or to put it another way, what actually makes a good Precision?[/quote]

Theres been some debate before about Fender Custom shop instruments. I can only speak from personal experience but the 1970 Custom Shop limited edition jazz that I owned (that was owned also by Flanker and is now back with Marcus) was one of the nicest instruments I have ever played in every way.

So from my experience they are fantastic but others opinions may differ :-)

Steve

I'm certain I played that bass when New Kings Road Emporium were in Denmark Street - That was probably about 5 years ago. I know its the same one as its no 25 and belonged to Bob Daisley. Its a nice player but had roundwounds on when I tried it (which seemed a bit weird). Its possibly been through another pair of hands in the meantime or has been gathering dust in the shop.