Why become a member? ×

Need advices on flatwound

TheBear

Hi,

My Cort B4 is due for a strings change, and I'd like to move to flatwound strings..BUT, I'm unable to make a choice, not even to see the light :)

I'd take any advices / ideas to give a try :)

the B4 has 45-105 gauge, I'd like to keep the same,

thanks!
Chris

Thomastik Infeld J344 Jazz flats ('TI Flats') are very popular on this forum but lighter gauge than I think yuo would like. In which case you could try La Bella Deep Talkin Flatwounds or D'Addario Chromes, each of which come in several gauges including gauges very close to your current strings. All are good choices in my opinion. A cheaper option would be Rotosound Flats, which some like but I am not so keen on as I find them quite stiff.

[quote name='Clarky' post='1189472' date='Apr 5 2011, 07:55 PM']Thomastik Infeld J344 Jazz flats ('TI Flats') are very popular on this forum but lighter gauge than I think yuo would like. In which case you could try La Bella Deep Talkin Flatwounds or D'Addario Chromes, each of which come in several gauges including gauges very close to your current strings. All are good choices in my opinion. A cheaper option would be Rotosound Flats, which some like but I am not so keen on as I find them quite stiff.[/quote]

Bad enough, the only set compatible set the current gauge (45-65-85-105) is the Rotosound (Rotosound RS 77LD Jazz Bass Flatwound monel)

If I'm going to change the gauge, where shoud I be careful ? I understood that the neck must be checked, but can I bring the bass, let them ajdust the neck and done ?

Thanks!

[quote name='TheBear' post='1189511' date='Apr 5 2011, 07:31 PM']Bad enough, the only set compatible set the current gauge (45-65-85-105) is the Rotosound (Rotosound RS 77LD Jazz Bass Flatwound monel)

If I'm going to change the gauge, where shoud I be careful ? I understood that the neck must be checked, but can I bring the bass, let them ajdust the neck and done ?

Thanks![/quote]
If you have a truss rod tool and you are getting similar gauge strings (they really do not have to be identical) you could follow some of the advice on BassChat and adjust the neck yourself. This isn't a scary thing to do! I don't know Cort basses but its probably very simple, like turning the truss rod screw a fraction of a turn (clockwise to tighten the neck if the strings are too far from the board, anti-clockwise to loosen the neck if the strings are rattling on the board)

[quote name='Clarky' post='1189520' date='Apr 5 2011, 08:34 PM']If you have a truss rod tool and you are getting similar gauge strings (they really do not have to be identical) you could follow some of the advice on BassChat and adjust the neck yourself. This isn't a scary thing to do! I don't know Cort basses but its probably very simple, like turning the truss rod screw a fraction of a turn (clockwise to tighten the neck if the strings are too far from the board, anti-clockwise to loosen the neck if the strings are rattling on the board)[/quote]

Well.. I'm too much of a two left-handed to take the risk myself:) I'll go for a reasonnably clause (is 100 instead of 105 reasonnable btw ?)gauge and let a pro adjust the neck for me :)

I had to let it checked anyway (18months since the last check :))

Thanks!

[quote name='TheBear' post='1189511' date='Apr 5 2011, 07:31 PM']Bad enough, the only set compatible set the current gauge (45-65-85-105) is the Rotosound (Rotosound RS 77LD Jazz Bass Flatwound monel)

Thanks![/quote]
It's not the gauge that matters in relation to needing to adjust the trussrod. It's the tension you need to think about and two strings of the same gauge won't necessarily be the same tension because tension will depend upon the materials from which they are made and the way in which they are constructed.

Thomastik Jazz Flats are 43-56-70-100 and rather low tension.

La Bella 760FS are 45-65-85-105 and rather higher tension, although I think most La Bella users here opt for the 760FL set which are very slightly lower tension and are 43-60-82-104

The difference is not merely because of the difference in gauges.

Edited by EssentialTension

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='1189646' date='Apr 5 2011, 09:41 PM']It's not the gauge that matters in relation to needing to adjust the trussrod. It's the tension you need to think about and two strings of the same gauge won't necessarily be the same tension because tension will depend upon the materials from which they are made and the way in which they are constructed.

Thomastik Jazz Flats are 43-56-70-100 and rather low tension.

La Bella 760FS are 45-65-85-105 and rather higher tension, although I think most La Bella users here opt for the 760FL set which are very slightly lower tension and are 43-60-82-104

The difference is not merely because of the difference in gauges.[/quote]

good to know.. seems that loads of people mention the gauge has tension criteria.

de B4 comes from factory with D'addario EXL165 (or XLB032 & XLB130), what would be my best choice in your opinion ?

Thanks!

[quote name='TheBear' post='1189669' date='Apr 5 2011, 08:51 PM']good to know.. seems that loads of people mention the gauge has tension criteria.

de B4 comes from factory with D'addario EXL165 (or XLB032 & XLB130), what would be my best choice in your opinion ?

Thanks![/quote]
Flats very a lot, just as much as rounds do, so there is an element of personal taste in this.

You might want to try D'Addario Chromes ECB81 which are 45-65-80-100 and their tension averages out roughly the same as the EXL165 set. (D'Addario are one of the few string manufacturers that actually publish tension figures. They are higher rather than lower tension and on the bright side for flats.

If you want something with more of an old school thumpy sound try the La Bella 760FL set.

The Thomastik Jazz Flats are much lower tension and a have a more middy sound, cut through the mix nicely and they are very popular with some of us.

Bear in mind that flats often sound better after some use, at least weeks and more likely months or even years. They can be expensive but they last.

Any change of strings, unless it's exactly the same make and gauge, may mean a tweak on the truss rod.

Hi Guys,

I think I'll go from the Labella FS760L or FS760S. I've bben reading a lot, and these seem to match the sound I'm looking for (something between the Double-bass and the true Soul and R&B bass sound (by True Soul / R&B, i mean the 50-60-70's one, before Autotune if you wish :))

these are a little expensive (twice the price of my current strings :)), but well, i must try to know.

thanks for your help, and I'll keep you posted when I've tried the strings!

FWIW I use La Bella 760FLs on my Jazz to get that old soul / ska / rocksteady sound, they're brilliant for that. Tension feels good and even, nice heavy feel to them but not difficult to play. They work out well with a pick and some overdrive for grotty old punk sounds too.

Best set of strings I ever bought, I've had them on my Jazz for about 2 years so far and no intention of changing them any time soon. :)

And Labella 760FL on their way to me. I picked these on up instead of the Thomastick cuase I beleive the Labella are closer to the sound I'm looking for.

thanks for your help, I learned a lot about tension, gauge & strings:)
I'll try to post some feedback when my bass is strung, adjusted and tested.

This clip is quite informative -

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PE5R3rUoU58"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PE5R3rUoU58[/url]

Stringbusters can get this brand, even if they don't display every single variation. Send an e-mail to customer support.

i only ever use flats on my basses, and for years ive used picato's great tone and lovely feel, ive also used fender flats and they are a little brighter in tone than the picatos but still nice and good feel to them too! I play blues so the tone is great for me!

[quote name='Balcro' post='1192825' date='Apr 8 2011, 01:08 PM']This clip is quite informative -

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PE5R3rUoU58"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PE5R3rUoU58[/url]

Stringbusters can get this brand, even if they don't display every single variation. Send an e-mail to customer support.[/quote]
GHS Precision Flats are very nice. Lakland Joe Osborn Flats are the same string.

• 13 years later...

I can recommend Bass Centre Detroits. The set are .045-.105 and are a bit rootsy and funky than Chromes. I have them on a Fender 57 RI USA with a Bare Knuckle ‘58 pickup.

They sound very nice and record well.

Here’s a track on Spotify with Strictly Come Dancing singer 

Tommy Blaize;

And here;

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/51r0ccyoj31755i3llzfs/All-By-Myself-8.mp3?rlkey=m9yr24qfrcqdw5fk3oy2pr92u&dl=0