Why become a member? ×

Who repairs Acoustic Image amps in UK?

Clarky

Well a not great day bass-wise (see my thread re warped '63 scratchplate) just got worse. Went to band rehearsal this afternoon and my Acoustic Image Contra combo went doolally (technical term). To begin with it was not at all loud and could barely be heard, even with the extension cab. Then when I wondered if there was a problem with the pickup on my DB and tried to re-position it, forgetting to turn the master down, the amp made a feedback-y sort of howl and stopped making noise altogether. We tried playing an iPod through the amp to test it and there is some volume, but just about the level of a mouses queaking with laryngitis. Great.

So - cutting to the chase - does anyone know who would repair Acoustic Image amps in the UK?

Hi Clarky. sorry to hear abt the day-of-doom with yr gear.

The luthier I use gave me the details of a guy he uses for his amps, and also advises his customers use. I`ve not needed to use him, so don`t know what he`s like, or what he can work on, but the luthier I use - Terry Chapman, TJC Guitars - is on the level, so maybe worth a phone call:

Malcolm 01438 361097 (in Stevenage, Herts)

Thanks chaps. I have discovered the AI European office is in Carlisle. First things first, I will drop them an email. My fear is - as I bought it s/h and therefore have no idea whether its still covered by 5-year warranty (I doubt it as its an older model) - it will cost a lot to send it off and to get repaired and it may be more economic to buy something else and continue to use the extension cab.

Edited by Clarky

Postscript - AI Europe say that it can be repaired/re-conditioned for free but that I will need to send it to AI in the States to do this. A pain but at least it doesn't sound like it will cost an arm and a leg, just shipping costs.

Damn nuisance timing-wise as I have a gig on Saturday

Check out with Customs tho about the amp coming back to you. Unless you notify them they will charge you import duties on the amp coming back. Not nice. I had this explained once when checking about doing the same thing - sending an amp back to the US for repair. There's some sort of form you need to fill in to register that you already own the amp before you send it of. Doesn't guarantee you won't get hit with import duties but it should help reduce them.

[quote name='Gareth Hughes' post='1187611' date='Apr 4 2011, 11:57 AM']Check out with Customs tho about the amp coming back to you. Unless you notify them they will charge you import duties on the amp coming back. Not nice. I had this explained once when checking about doing the same thing - sending an amp back to the US for repair. There's some sort of form you need to fill in to register that you already own the amp before you send it of. Doesn't guarantee you won't get hit with import duties but it should help reduce them.[/quote]
Thanks for the heads up Gareth. Hadn't occurred to me about getting charged import duty.