Why become a member? ×

What's your G & L L2000/2500 Rigs effects chain?

mashup

Im Looking to Simplify & Improve my Rig.

I normally play at rehearsals with my L2000 plugged into a Zoom B2.1U, which then goes into a BBE Sonic Maximizer and then my Fender Bassman 150. I originally bought the Zoom B2.1U so that i could get some more sounds out of my old bass (A Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass), which i have since sold.

So last weekend i was really unhappy with the tones that my current set up was allowing me to dial in, so i took the B2.1U out of the equation, and straight away i had a much better set of tones, much cleaner, much rounder and more bassy. No more mud that i was experiencing - just lots of definition. What have i been doing all this time???!!! The reason i bought the L2000 in the first place was because she is a tone monster with a beautiful sound!!!!

So i am now thinking of selling the multifx pedal, that really i was only using to colour my input signal originally (Something i now realise that i dont want to do any more)

So my question is, what is your effects chain/ G & L L2000/2500 Rig set up?

If i sell the Zoom, Is there anything that you would suggest that i could add to my chain to enhance this natural beauties sounds? I would only be looking at enhancements with minimal colourings to the onboard tones. Compressors? Eq's? Limiters? Suggestions please.

What do you use?

Or with my L200 - BBE Sonic Maximizer - Fender Bassman 150 Rig, do i already have just what i need?

Thanks for reading.

All feedback is truly appreciated.

The B2.1U is a great pedal (I remember the ZNR being particularly useful on it) but with all the different parameters it's possible to layer on a single preset it's quite easy to over do it and end up with some real mushy effects. Have you considered a factory reset and just staring over.

I like my L-1000 just straight in.... but it's different beast really.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1183100' date='Mar 31 2011, 10:55 AM']The B2.1U is a great pedal (I remember the ZNR being particularly useful on it) but with all the different parameters it's possible to layer on a single preset it's quite easy to over do it and end up with some real mushy effects. Have you considered a factory reset and just staring over.

I like my L-1000 just straight in.... but it's different beast really.[/quote]

I've got one of those Zooms, and generally I've found that the only way of getting any useful results out of it - and others of its ilk - is to create a few presets where you take everything off and get the thing "flat", then work at it parameter by parameter to get some sounds you like. I'm not an expert, however, as I chiefly use it as a tuner and an eq and haven't really messed around with much else on it. Octaver was fairly rubbish, but then they always seem to be. I don't use it any more, and reminded of its existence I should probably sell mine and buy some more flatwounds with the money...

[quote name='watchman' post='1183271' date='Mar 31 2011, 01:18 PM']I've got one of those Zooms, and generally I've found that the only way of getting any useful results out of it - and others of its ilk - is to create a few presets where you take everything off and get the thing "flat", then work at it parameter by parameter to get some sounds you like. I'm not an expert, however, as I chiefly use it as a tuner and an eq and haven't really messed around with much else on it. Octaver was fairly rubbish, but then they always seem to be. I don't use it any more, and reminded of its existence I should probably sell mine and buy some more flatwounds with the money...[/quote]

This is what i've been thinking of doing. Neautralising all parameter values and taking off all effects, and starting with a blank canvas/uncoloured/uneffected sound and tweak from there (although the zoom in blank canvas mode will undoubtably add a little bit of its own colour). Maybe a touch of EQ & Compression and not much else and will mainly use it as a tuner, but is it really worth the bother? Will i or can i reap any worthwhile tonal rewards. There are a few good presets on it, my favourite being the James Jamerson, deep low bass tone (no.26 i think), but i can achieve a better replication of this tone through bass and amp adjustments/tweaking. I guess the plus side for a multi effects is the fact that it can save the need for continual adjustment of amps whilst playing (which during a set is highly unpractical).

I guess im just looking to get a new bit of kit and was wondering if anyone could suggest something that would be worth selling this unit to help towards paying for, especially if used successfully in combnation with my particular bass and/or setup. Any nice bits of kit out there. The BBE Sonic Maximizer is brilliant for what it does, it is subtle, but brings the bass tones to life in a big way. Any particular units that compliment what the maximizer does to my tones?

I guess i have a case of GAS and i cant really justify using the Zoom as a glorified tuner. Is it worth delving any deeper i wonder?

I would second Ou7shined.

I have a Zoom B2. The first FX box I ever bought for bass. It has some pretty good effects, but you really have to start from scratch. If you have a good tone between your bass and amp, don't go crazy with the amp simulations and EQ. They can be very useful to go direct to the mixer, but usually I'd have them all off and treat it as an FX pedal, maybe for some chorus when needed, for a particular different EQ when needed... etc... *when needed*.

As for what FX to use... if you don't know what FX you want... then you are probably better off not using any. I generally look for an effect with something in mind, not as a way to fill my pedalboard :)
Compression has its uses, but if you don't know whether you want it, maybe you don't need it. A bit of compression can be good to have. Maybe.
Limiter... I only used a limiter after envelope filters and synth pedals, as they can sometimes geenrate pretty big spikes...
EQ... that's a very useful tool... but not something I'd want on all teh time if you can get a good sound from the bass/amp. In other words, I like an EQ as an effect, as something to give me a different sound for a specific purpose, maybe as a boost, maybe to change my slap tone from my fingerstyle tone.. etc.
But I'd be happy using the Zoom for all that. It's just a bit of a pain to program, with all those submenus, but it doesn't sound bad.

Your bass is a machine. Ultraversatile. I have a Tribute series L2500 and I think it's just amazing the range of *good* soudns it can give you. Very clear tone, good definition... It seems to me you have a really nice sound source (bass and amplifier), and all you need is something to slightly modify it as required. I'd give the Zoom a try using it that way, not as a tone creator, but as a gentle tone modifier.

I use a zoom for it`s tuner and if a song needs a bit of Fuzz. Or for hitting some spacey notes at obscene volume to piss off the guitarsit. But I think that with the range of tones you can get from the G&L, I don`t need to use any of the other enhancments on the zoom.

Jez

Edited by jezzaboy

UPDATE.....

I played at rehearsal today, minus the zoom B2.1U. I just went G & L 2000 > Korg Pitch Black > BBE Sonic Maximizer > Fender Bassman 150. My tone sounded freakin awesome!!!! Seriously. Best tone i've ever had. So clean, round, full, defined and pumping. Im so happy with my setup now i wont ever need to dabble around again! I'll probably keep the B2.1U for practice purposes - late night beatbox jamming, but wont be using it, or any other effects unit/Multifx unit in my rig ever again.

Cheers for your help and suggestions people.

Happy playing :)

[quote name='nig' post='1183513' date='Mar 31 2011, 04:30 PM']Effects...none ! lead to amp, the rest comes from the pinkies.[/quote]

Totally agree. Like most, over the years I have spent silly money on pedals, rack effects and multis thinking I SHOULD be using them. All I have ever concluded is that they colour you basic sound even on bypass. Ive taken them out, got back my natural tone and sold the pedals at a loss. Never again.

[quote name='tommorichards' post='1186317' date='Apr 2 2011, 11:40 PM']Ha. Cross post

[url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/whats-your-g-l-l2000-2500-effects-chain-756337/"]http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/whats-you...s-chain-756337/[/url][/quote]

good spot. Just trying to get as much feedback as possible. :)

[quote name='tommorichards' post='1186317' date='Apr 2 2011, 11:40 PM']Ha. Cross post

[url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/whats-your-g-l-l2000-2500-effects-chain-756337/"]http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/whats-you...s-chain-756337/[/url][/quote]

good spot. Just trying to get as much feedback as possible. :)