Why become a member? ×

Squier VM Jazz VS Fender MIM Standard Jazz?

DeeBassist

Basically, I want to get myself a nice sounding, but sturdy bass for my college travels.

I've looked at the VM Jazz quite a lot, as I've heard extremely positive things about it. The only horror story I've heard is that the wood around the tuners give way after some time. How true is this?

How well does the sound go against a Fender MIM Standard Jazz?

Cheers in advance,
Dan

[quote name='DeeBassist' post='1180167' date='Mar 28 2011, 10:12 PM']Basically, I want to get myself a nice sounding, but sturdy bass for my college travels.

I've looked at the VM Jazz quite a lot, as I've heard extremely positive things about it. The only horror story I've heard is that the wood around the tuners give way after some time. How true is this?

How well does the sound go against a Fender MIM Standard Jazz?

Cheers in advance,
Dan[/quote]

Dan,
I have a couple squiers -one of them being a VMJ but I havent had any exp. about the wood giving way around the tuners tho'
I have also found the build quality on the VMJ'S to be excellent-better in fact than the fender jazz that i tried at the time.
and they sound great- especially with the new Duncan designed PUPS.
I would definately buy another VMJ.
I have just fitted a new Babicz full metal contact bridge to the bass too-they are superb,Improves tone and sustain 110%.
Trev.

It's Fender product so quality control varies wildly. Some people have owned MIM's that sound better than the MIA's; the only MIM i have tried had build quality and playability to match a Squier Affinity....

Try before you buy and that should tell you everything you need to know, an a hell of a lot more than anyone can tell you on here

[quote name='iconic' post='1180434' date='Mar 29 2011, 08:52 AM']"The only horror story I've heard is that the wood around the tuners give way after some time"

news to me, and I'm a bit of an VMJ anorak.....where on earth did you hear that?[/quote]

I was told by a friend. I don't believe it, I just wanted to confirm.

Thanks for the opinions folks.