Why become a member? ×

FS/FT MarkBass CMD 121P Combo SOLD

P-T-P

I have a MarkBass CMD121P for sale at £500 plus postage but happy to deliver along the M4 corridor or within reasonable distance for a tenner. It's in great condition and comes with one of those black and red covers you can pick up from eBay for about £30.

This is only for sale for as long as rockinbassman's CMD102P combo is available. No offers on the price I'm afraid unless you are prepared to collect from Chepstow/Newport.

Alternatively, if you've a CMD102P combo or MarkBass head and cab you'd be willing to do a deal on (cash my way or yours depending on what's on offer), then get in touch.

PM or call 07515 929935 or e-mail pete at peteward dot co dot uk

Thanks

Edited by P-T-P

[quote name='P-T-P' post='133662' date='Feb 4 2008, 04:06 PM']In the never-ending quest to get the right balance between FOH sound and the amount and weight of gear that needs lugging about, my band has decided to give up on it's PA bass bins. For 90% of our gigs this isn't going to be a problem, but I'm a bit concerned about the other 10% where we end up playing a large but stageless room (think 400+ all dining), the combo on it's own is not really gonna be enough and as those 10% of gigs account for probably 50% of our income, I wanna make sure I'm not gonna have to worry.

Now I could just add an extension cab, but that would be far too aesthetically displeasing to me as all the cabs are different shapes and will stack weirdly and play havoc with my ying and yang (lol j/k).

I'm thinking I might either go back to the seperates route or try the 2 x 10 combo with a 1 x 15 cab when needed.

Basically, if I do decide to make a change, anyone interested in this combo which is in great nick, knocks people's socks off with how pokey it is and is light as a feather. It comes with a nice fitted cover too. Not sure how much to ask for really, they don't come available very often. Think they can be had new for about £625 so is £500-ish on the mark? Open to ideas/offers on the pricing.

Or if you've some MarkBass seperates you might trade, that would be interesting too.[/quote]

This is the really very small one isn't it? I have the CMD 121h, which is just one inch too big for my boot! Doh. Great little amps though - £500 is a bargain, really. The extension cab that'd fit would be this one: [url="http://guitare.playback-europe.com/markbass-traveler_121h-8059.html"]http://guitare.playback-europe.com/markbas..._121h-8059.html[/url]

Yeah, it's the smaller of the two 1x12 combos. I had a minor dalliance with the 121H Combo but all EQ flat I found it a little too middy for my taste compared to the 121P. That makes me shy away from the 121H xtn cab a bit plus, if I'm going to make a change, might as well take up the option to add significantly greater speaker acreage.

Either of the 12" combos are spankingly good and between them offer and if £500 is a bargain then that's great, someone's gonna get a bargain if I sell!

[quote name='P-T-P' post='133679' date='Feb 4 2008, 04:22 PM']Yeah, it's the smaller of the two 1x12 combos. I had a minor dalliance with the 121H Combo but all EQ flat I found it a little too middy for my taste compared to the 121P. That makes me shy away from the 121H xtn cab a bit plus, if I'm going to make a change, might as well take up the option to add significantly greater speaker acreage.

Either of the 12" combos are spankingly good and between them offer and if £500 is a bargain then that's great, someone's gonna get a bargain if I sell![/quote]

True; I find that is also the case because of the horn, but the VLE filter sorts all that out for me. I've only recently started messing with the two magic knobs, and they really are superb fun =]

Noooooooooooo.......

After you told me you weren't selling, I went out and bought a brand new one a few weeks ago. SH(one)T. :)

Never mind. That's life.

One big point to note though. I noticed that Markbass are introducing a 1 x 12 cab just for this combo. Same dimensions. See the website under news and look at pic number 4 I think?

Think I might be going down this route although I have a LM II and Schroeder 1212L just for the bigger gigs you are talking about. I'm just thinking at this stage, but the CMD121P for small gigs, add the 1 x 12 cab for bigger gigs?

Frank

[quote name='machinehead' post='133745' date='Feb 4 2008, 05:43 PM']Noooooooooooo.......

After you told me you weren't selling, I went out and bought a brand new one a few weeks ago. SH(one)T. :)

Never mind. That's life.

One big point to note though. I noticed that Markbass are introducing a 1 x 12 cab just for this combo. Same dimensions. See the website under news and look at pic number 4 I think?

Think I might be going down this route although I have a LM II and Schroeder 1212L just for the bigger gigs you are talking about. I'm just thinking at this stage, but the CMD121P for small gigs, add the 1 x 12 cab for bigger gigs?

Frank[/quote]

Oops, did I really say that? lol

I'm still not sure what to do really.

The new cabinet suffers from one of MB few flaws. It's an extension cab which is designed, by their own admission, to go with the 12" combos, but it's not as deep as the combo, so if you're planning on stacking it, your combo is gonna tilt backwards.

[quote name='P-T-P' post='133757' date='Feb 4 2008, 05:55 PM']The new cabinet suffers from one of MB few flaws. It's an extension cab which is designed, by their own admission, to go with the 12" combos, but it's not as deep as the combo, so if you're planning on stacking it, your combo is gonna tilt backwards.[/quote]

Yeah that's what I thought. They ought to be made aware of this, cos it's a bit careless really! And I don't want another horn to be honest! Just the 12" extension would be fine!

[quote name='P-T-P' post='133757' date='Feb 4 2008, 05:55 PM']Oops, did I really say that? lol

I'm still not sure what to do really.

The new cabinet suffers from one of MB few flaws. It's an extension cab which is designed, by their own admission, to go with the 12" combos, but it's not as deep as the combo, so if you're planning on stacking it, your combo is gonna tilt backwards.[/quote]

Really? That's disappointing. Where did you get the dimensions from. I couldn't see them.
Thanks.
Frank
PS. Markbass did listen to me and many others who owned traveller 1 x 15 and 2 x 10 and changed the size of the 1 x 15 to the same width as the 2 x 10. They should be told about this new 1 x 12. I for one will be emailing them.

[quote name='machinehead' post='133781' date='Feb 4 2008, 06:31 PM']Really? That's disappointing. Where did you get the dimensions from. I couldn't see them.
Thanks.
Frank
PS. Markbass did listen to me and many others who owned traveller 1 x 15 and 2 x 10 and changed the size of the 1 x 15 to the same width as the 2 x 10. They should be told about this new 1 x 12. I for one will be emailing them.[/quote]

What's the email to use?

Now let's leave this thread alone :)

FWIW, I would not get rid of the subs from the PA. You will surely miss them in the size of large gig you mention - that low end on the drums etc will not come through with just tops....my 2p anyway, but it would solve your problem.

I have the same combo as you, and paired with my std210 (larger 2*10 ports top and bottm) it is thunderous. So you shoudl just do that imo. OK, the cab is wider and deeper than the combo, but it really should not matter a jot.

[quote name='nottswarwick' post='134562' date='Feb 5 2008, 06:19 PM']FWIW, I would not get rid of the subs from the PA. You will surely miss them in the size of large gig you mention - that low end on the drums etc will not come through with just tops....my 2p anyway, but it would solve your problem.

I have the same combo as you, and paired with my std210 (larger 2*10 ports top and bottm) it is thunderous. So you shoudl just do that imo. OK, the cab is wider and deeper than the combo, but it really should not matter a jot.[/quote]

Yeah, I'm kinda torn, part of the porblem is that we don't bi-amp at the moment so the subs really don't get driven as much as they need to be to be truly effective.

Up to now we've been using JBL tops that reproduce the bass very well, but one of them needed repairing and while it's been in we've used our old Yamaha tops which sound a heck of a lot better for the vocals compared to the JBLs and we'd like to carry on using them but they don't have the low frequency handling that the JBLs do plus they weigh a ton, hence the desire to forego the subs so at least what we gain on the swings we lose on the roundabouts.

Maybe the answer is to use just the Yamahas most of the time but store the subs rather than sell them, get a bi-amped set-up so they're better driven and bring them out for those larger gigs. Hmmmm.

I appreciate your input, always good to hear others' experiences in these kinda situations.

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...