Why become a member? ×

heaviest gauge string

Cameronj279

[quote name='dood' post='1172378' date='Mar 22 2011, 06:06 PM']Heh heh - I seem to remember that in my original build diary for my 7 string (when this forum was known as Bassworld.. or BassTalk, I forget which it was at the time) it was suggested that some of the cables from the Severn Bridge were removed to build my bass :)[/quote]

:)

I use a rotosound .140 for my B string in standard tuning,

I've been looking at a .175 so i can tune down to an F# but that would probably be a tad floppy for my likes,

In america i saw a .205 string I cannot for the life of me remember the brand name or what the packet looked like!!

Guy at the shop said he had only ever sold 2 packs... to the same guy :)

Also, those conklin strings are expenisve! $34 for a low C#! (the .194) Imagine the price of a full 11 string set! (I Plan to own a 9 string before i hit 30 :) )

I like thick strings, been called MAD (Mad i say! Mad!) for usuing a .115 for an E

And the fast reply from NEWTONE is brilliant :)

[quote]Rik.
Thank you for contacting us, we can make a Custom set of .050-.110 which will be suitable for the tuning you are using, but you would not be able to tune them up to standard tuning. Minimum order is 2 sets and they cost £25.32 each.

Best regards,
Malcolm Newton/Neil Silverman[/quote]

I'll be ordering a couple of sets after payday :)

[quote name='chrismuzz' post='1172904' date='Mar 23 2011, 08:18 AM']Wow I didn't think that possible with those gauges! They've surprised me once again! Hope you get on well with those dude[/quote]

Me either! I'm rather chuffed, I'm still going to get a new nut/setup but if I should change back to the 'old strings' it should just require a setup. Very happy indeed :)

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' post='1172613' date='Mar 22 2011, 09:08 PM']I use a rotosound .140 for my B string in standard tuning,

I've been looking at a .175 so i can tune down to an F# but that would probably be a tad floppy for my likes,

In america i saw a .205 string I cannot for the life of me remember the brand name or what the packet looked like!!

Guy at the shop said he had only ever sold 2 packs... to the same guy :)

Also, those conklin strings are expenisve! $34 for a low C#! (the .194) Imagine the price of a full 11 string set! (I Plan to own a 9 string before i hit 30 :) )

I like thick strings, been called MAD (Mad i say! Mad!) for usuing a .115 for an E[/quote]

on the circle k website the largest string ive found is a .254 ........i mean really....is that necessary? even though i tune down to G even i think that is kinda overkill

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Johnston' post='1172964' date='Mar 23 2011, 10:27 AM']It wasn't Circle K by any chance????

On some of the more American based forums like the Dean one they mention them all the time with good words.[/quote]

[quote name='Cameronj279' post='1174764' date='Mar 24 2011, 04:08 PM']on the circle k website the largest string ive found is a .254 ........i mean really....is that necessary? even though i tune down to G even i think that is kinda overkill[/quote]

[url="http://circlekstrings.com/store/single_strings.html"]http://circlekstrings.com/store/single_strings.html[/url]

Yeah thats the ones!

Wonder how many sales they actually make on those thick ones!

And whats wrong with .50 to .110 in normal tuning?

Steve Harris uses that,and i use that for Normal tuning, sometimes i use .55 to .115

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' post='1186672' date='Apr 3 2011, 12:59 PM']And whats wrong with .50 to .110 in normal tuning?

Steve Harris uses that,and i use that for Normal tuning, sometimes i use .55 to .115[/quote]

There is more to string tension than thickness. These will be made to be high tension in the low tuning, probably a thicker core, so bring them up to standard tuning and they'll be far too high tension and something will give.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='1186758' date='Apr 3 2011, 02:44 PM']There is more to string tension than thickness. These will be made to be high tension in the low tuning, probably a thicker core, so bring them up to standard tuning and they'll be far too high tension and something will give.[/quote]

Would the tension really be that high? (as in high enough to cause damage to the bass?)

I'm currently usuing 55-115 (Rotosound) for EADG and it seems fine, just had the thing proffesionally set up and such like, and check

Also had Steve harris flats (Rotosound) 50-110 on before and they it seemed fine too

Both on the same P-bass, and it's still kicking everything is a-ok

I don't know too much about all this stuff, so its something i'm keen to learn before i do something stupid!