Why become a member? ×

B string on a stingray 5

dub

I've been using rotosound steel strings on the stingray 5 for a while now.

I've been trying to get the B string to have more clarity so I tried a roto .120 then the .130 roto piano design on the B.
The tone of the .120 was clearer but of course the string lacked tension. The .130 piano was certainly brighter but not so good past the 7th fret.

GHS contact core strings look like the right sort of guage but I haven't tried them.

Any opinions on who makes a B string around .125 with enough tension?

Ta for the replies I'll check those strings out.

The .130 is playing in well I just checked the intonation and had to adjust it a bit.
I set it up after I first put it on but a bit of dirt seems to make a difference! :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1168599' date='Mar 19 2011, 06:41 PM']Ernie Ball Super Slinkys (Pink Packet) 40-60-75-95-125, Last well, nice and silvery looking and obviously made for that bass so it seams a good marriage to me? :) Not going to cost Dr or Labella money either :lol:[/quote]
+1
gets my vote too :)

[quote name='obbm' post='1168609' date='Mar 19 2011, 06:48 PM']I've used Stainless DR Low Riders (45-130) for several years. Nice high tension, no problems.[/quote]
Really? No my Gus the B felt slack and unresponsive. I think they lasted a week before I tried something else.

What it probably shows is that you need to match the strings to the bass.

Ta for all the suggestions.
The .130 piano is actually sounding really good in rehearsal now. None of the odd overtones above the 7th fret can be heard with the rest of the band playing. I must remember never to judge anything before trying it at volume in rehearsal or at a gig.

Edited by dub