Why become a member? ×

Gibson L-9S Ripper Bass '73 £465 On hold

ash

Here we have a nice early example of a Gibson Ripper Bass or L-9S bass. This is the bass made famous latterly by Krist Novoselic of Nirvana but also used by Suzi Quatro, Louis Johnson & Greg Lake. The bass has a very versatile sound and is known for its midrange growl, great for rock or funk. Unlike its cousin The Grabber it has two pickups plus a three way tone switch it also features a fixed neck and three point bridge. This bass dates from the early/mid 70s and overall it is in excellent playing and working condition and is - to my knowledge - original with the exception of the finish. The bass has been sprayed black and although this isn't a bad job it could be easy to strip this back to original. There are lots of scuffs and scrapes and plenty of buckle rash for that vintage 'roadworn' look - in this case genuine! The neck is straight and true and frets have been stoned but have plenty of life in them nice Schaller machines. Action is low and the bass balances well. It is a big bodied bass but is not too heavy. The electrics are a little scratchy but a service and clean would sort this - these are all original parts. This is a great vintage US bass at a decent price. I got this as part of a trade but I already own several Gibsons so selling this one on. It has a six digit serial that I'm told dates it to ealy 70s. Am not looking for trades but will consider offers. I'd prefer pickup but will send if the buyer arranges the courier.

[attachment=74908:__KGrHqN...Uk____12.jpg]

[attachment=74907:__KGrHqF...flg___12.jpg]

[attachment=74906:__KGrHqF...7ew___12.jpg]

Edited by ash

Any chance of some better pics of the body please (pickups)

Does it come with a case?

Was the paint stripped before refinning, or is it just a quick spray over the original fin (if you can tell)

And you say 3 way tone switch???? Do you mean a four way chicken head (stock) or some modded 3 way thing?

thanks

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='1164796' date='Mar 16 2011, 06:56 PM']My, plenty of classic Gibsons popping up out of nowhere lately![/quote]

All PMs answered provisionally sold. Thanks for all your comments and messages, I will have more Gibson related goodies up soon!

[quote name='Born to Lose' post='1167371' date='Mar 18 2011, 04:32 PM']That didn't take you long Ash ! :)[/quote]

Yep the Grabbers are the ones for me as I said, can't get enough of 'em!