Why become a member? ×

Saddles dropping

Jakester

Hi all.

Newbie lurker for a while, mainly in the classifieds, but I've been having a slight problem and wondered whether any of youse luvverly people might be able to help?

I have what is now effectively a Mex Standard Jazz (it's a bitsa bought off here but the bits all add up to a Standard).

I recently had it set up and fitted with new strings, and it's a beaut.

However, pre and post setup I noticed that the E-string saddle seems to lower itself progressively on the grubscrews, to the point that the E-string buzzes constantly.

At first I just thought it was my lousy noob technique, but I just compared the E-string with the rest of the saddles, and its way down. A few turns to get it back up, and job's a good-un.

My question, however, is this:

Is it feasible/realistic/a good/bad idea to use some kind of fixative on the saddle grub screw - for example, a light threadlock, or some of the missus's nail varnish, just to 'freeze' the saddle in place on the threads? Or am I asking for a lot of trouble down the line and should I just put up with it?

Cheers in advance.

Edited by Jakester

[quote name='Jakester' post='1163564' date='Mar 15 2011, 07:38 PM']...Is it feasible/realistic/a good/bad idea to use some kind of fixative on the saddle grub screw - for example, a light threadlock, [b]or some of the missus's nail varnish[/b]....[/quote]
Sounds like a plan.

[quote name='icastle' post='1163581' date='Mar 15 2011, 07:55 PM']No reason not to use threadlock, but I suspect that if the saddle is dropping then the thread is so badly worn that threadlock isn't going to help you.
I'd be more inclined to work out whats happening and fix it rather than use workarounds.[/quote]

Hmm, I think it's unlikely to be that worn, as the bridge is reasonably new.

Could it be as a result of bad technique? As I say, I'm newish to this, and I do have a tendency to dig in quite a lot - could this be pulling the string and causing the saddle to move?

[quote name='icastle' post='1163581' date='Mar 15 2011, 07:55 PM']No reason not to use threadlock, but I suspect that if the saddle is dropping then the thread is so badly worn that threadlock isn't going to help you.
I'd be more inclined to work out whats happening and fix it rather than use workarounds.[/quote]

Fair point icastle,

But on this occasion, if it were me, I'd probably give it a go with the nail varnish or something similar . . . . . . nothing to loose by trying !

After all, even if you used some proper "threadlock" and then it all goes wrong, then its nothing seriously lost . . . its not as if a new replacement Mex saddle is hard to get or expensive ?
. . . . . .

[color="#4169E1"][i]"Whilst endeavouring to offer good advice I make no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, reliability, suitability or viability of this information with respect to any proposal or purpose. Any reliance you place on this information is therefore strictly at your own risk".[/i][/color]
. . . . . . .
No . . seriously . . . . give it a try !

Cheers

[quote name='Jakester' post='1163606' date='Mar 15 2011, 08:11 PM']Hmm, I think it's unlikely to be that worn, as the bridge is reasonably new.

Could it be as a result of bad technique? As I say, I'm newish to this, and I do have a tendency to dig in quite a lot - could this be pulling the string and causing the saddle to move?[/quote]

I doubt it's a technique issue.
Digging in just pushes the saddle screws down harder against the bridge, I don't see how that makes them rotate.

It's not too uncommon a phenomenon. I've heard of this happening on other basses.
Specific frequencies cause specific threaded components to "spontaneously unscrew". A bass' job is to vibrate, if you dig in too much and increase the strength of the vibes beyond normal tolerences... bingo.
Obviously in this example the grub screws are slacker than normal in the first place. Preventing the vibrations by the above methods will inhibit it more or less permanently.

the vibration of the instrument could be making the screw "run" if the threads are cut slack. Threadlock will fix this.

It wouldn't be the 1st newish mex fender i've seen with stripped screws in the bridge though. If so, it's either an engineering job (drilling/tapping the saddles a larger thread and replacing the grub screws to suit) or new saddles.

same thing happened on one of my basses. Turns out somehow it was only resting on 1 screw, so the other would screw its self upward and protrude above the saddle. I fixed it with a few drops of superglue.

Also, i have a few saddles lying around if you want one free of charge. (Standard barrels)

[quote name='Ancient Mariner' post='1171117' date='Mar 21 2011, 07:10 PM']I'd encourage the use of something a little less robust that superglue - there'll likely be a time you'll want to move that screw again, and superglue can be quite permanent in a completely annoying way.[/quote]
I agree, although super glue doesn't seem to very super these days.

[quote name='Ancient Mariner' post='1171117' date='Mar 21 2011, 07:10 PM']I'd encourage the use of something a little less robust that superglue - there'll likely be a time you'll want to move that screw again, and superglue can be quite permanent in a completely annoying way.[/quote]

Unless you use an activator with it, superglue will just dry brittle against two metal surfaces.
Rotating the grub screw with an appropriately sized allen key will just cause the glue 'film' to shatter.

Using that 99p for 6 tubes stuff that you get in the bargain shops will break even easier. :)

[quote name='tommorichards' post='1171365' date='Mar 21 2011, 09:32 PM']Dam, thats what im using. And its 4 for £1 actually.[/quote]
Ew that stuff is about as sticky as spit (probably fine for this though).
I use the dear Loctite stuff on everything (it's the luthier's best freind)... even then it's not a powerful as it used to be.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1171373' date='Mar 21 2011, 09:36 PM']I use the dear Loctite stuff on everything (it's the luthier's best freind)... even then it's not a powerful as it used to be.[/quote]

I'm pretty sure I read something about consumer orientated SG manufacturers reducing the potency of their glues because of safety concerns quite a long time ago.
Get yourself a can of Cyanoacrylate activator - it creates a temporary 'seal' so that the glue doesn't soak away into a porous surface, speeds up the curing time, reduces blooming, removes the smell and gives a much stronger bond.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1171373' date='Mar 21 2011, 09:36 PM']Ew that stuff is about as sticky as spit (probably fine for this though).
I use the dear Loctite stuff on everything (it's the luthier's best freind)... even then it's not a powerful as it used to be.[/quote]
Yeh, but i dont have any real super strong needed applications for it.

It is also too weak to keep my fingers glued together for long. About 10 minutes, and i can pry em apart.

[quote name='icastle' post='1171390' date='Mar 21 2011, 09:46 PM']I'm pretty sure I read something about consumer orientated SG manufacturers reducing the potency of their glues because of safety concerns quite a long time ago.[/quote]

Ironic that. I think the only thing super glue will stick reliably now is my fingers.

[quote name='Johnston' post='1172040' date='Mar 22 2011, 01:11 PM']Sayin about the SG sticking stuff.

Our apprentice in work came running into the foremans office holding his eye open. He'd gotten glue in it and real heavy duty stuff for gluing the ends of tank seals so it needs to take 2bar of pressure.

When asked how it got there his reply "I don't know"

Turned out 3 of them decided playing football with a bottle of super glue was a good idea, the apprentice knocked it up with his knee the lid came off and a bit went into his eye.

Pretty serious but pretty funny watching him try to not explain how he got glue in his eye :) :) :lol:[/quote]

It's truly heartening to see that, in this digital age of global communications and huge advances in scientific knowledge, there is always one thing you can rely on - apprentices being ar*es. :D