Why become a member? ×

3 of a kind?

Paul S

I recently got hold of an SGC Nanyo Bass Collection SB-310 and I have to say I am getting quite fond if it. :)

I notice that the Ibanez SR500 has a lot of fans here - superficially it seems to do much the same kind of thing.

Also the Yamaha RBX374 seems similar.

All are MIJ, lightweight, skinny neck, double pick up and active. Pretty well the same shape, too.

Are they all much the same? Or does one stand out in terms of build quality or in any particular department. Or are there similar but better models to be had? (I know of the SGC Nanyo Bass Collection SB-320, for example) Do any hold their value better than the others? I know the Bass Collection stuff doesn't seem to and hence are bargains!

[quote name='Paul S' post='1160991' date='Mar 13 2011, 08:34 PM']I recently got hold of an SGC Nanyo Bass Collection SB-310 and I have to say I am getting quite fond if it. :)

I notice that the Ibanez SR500 has a lot of fans here - superficially it seems to do much the same kind of thing.

Also the Yamaha RBX374 seems similar.

All are MIJ, lightweight, skinny neck, double pick up and active. Pretty well the same shape, too.

Are they all much the same? Or does one stand out in terms of build quality or in any particular department. Or are there similar but better models to be had? (I know of the SGC Nanyo Bass Collection SB-320, for example) Do any hold their value better than the others? I know the Bass Collection stuff doesn't seem to and hence are bargains![/quote]

Haven't tried an SB-310 but I own an Ibanez SR505 and have had a play about on an RBX owned by a mate of mine.
Tonally they're pretty much the same but the difference I noticed pretty much straight away was that the neck on the RBX was somewhat wider than my 505.
Not an unpleasant difference, just felt a little odd.

I sold my SB320 in trans green last year for £250 which was criminal really when it was of a much better quality than the Yammy or Ibanez you mention. Most people aren't aware of them or confuse them with the later unrelated bass collection stuff. The body and neck finish on mine were a match for basses well in excess of £2000 in fact there is a BC member who is a top French polisher that always comments on the quality of them.

I've had lots of experience with both the ibanez and yamaha, and although i'm a huge yamaha fan, i've gotta say that the Ibanez is a far better bass. It is built of better quality materials, feels better and sounds much better thanks to the Bartolini pickups and eq.

[quote name='Paul S' post='1160991' date='Mar 13 2011, 08:34 PM']All are MIJ,[/quote]

You certain about that? I'm not. The Yamaha is made in China these days and I seem to recall that the cheaper Ibbys are made in Indonesia.

I played an SR505 in Bass Merchant, it felt like a really comfortable bass but the build quality is nowhere near my Bass Collections.

Try and find an SB460. There was one sold on here not long ago.

[quote name='pete.young' post='1161095' date='Mar 13 2011, 09:40 PM']You certain about that? I'm not. The Yamaha is made in China these days and I seem to recall that the cheaper Ibbys are made in Indonesia.[/quote]

I think you're dead right about that. The Yamaha definitely isn't made in Japan, and I think the only Ibanez which are is the Prestige series.

[quote name='TRBboy' post='1161102' date='Mar 13 2011, 09:48 PM']I think you're dead right about that. The Yamaha definitely isn't made in Japan, and I think the only Ibanez which are is the Prestige series.[/quote]

Yeap, I had a japanese TRB years ago and it was amazing. I tried the other day one of the new korean ones and you canfeel the difference...

Never tried the other ones, though, sorry!