Why become a member? ×

Greetings from London

faiz0802

Hey folks.

Just shifted to London recently. Been playing for about 6 years now, with a few breaks in between due to work and other things. Started off with a lil classic rock and metal, and through the years have gotten completely immersed in funk and jazz. Working on slap technique and sight reading at the moment. Oh yeah, I've played and jammed with Victor Wooten, best day of my life. :)

My current rig involves a Squier fretless through a Presonus Audiobox, due to space issues. On the lookout for a Fender Marcus Miller Jazz Bass, 4 string, as evident from my signature below.

I also offer free bass tuitions for anyone who's interested, as long as they're willing to come over and get their own bass and other equipment. I don't have any gear to share in a jam at the moment. :lol: I'm mostly intermediate level so I think I'd do better off teaching the beginners, though I'm pretty sure I can help anyone trying to learn how to sight read as well. I posted a thread about all this in detail in the Bass Tutors Sub-forum. Here's the link:
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=126639"]Free Tuitions in London[/url]

Please feel free to contact me if anyone needs help learning/starting off, or want to meet up for a jam, at a gig or just to hang out. I'm new in town and could do with good company. I don't log on here ofen so I'd prefer it if you got in touch with me on facebook. The link's in my profile. :)

It's wonderful to be here and I hope to meet you guys here in/around london soon for a jam, beer or whatever.

Regards,
Faiz

Edited by faiz0802

Thanks for the warm welcome guys. Feels great to be a part of the group. :)

@[u]Paultrader[/u]: Regarding your question, there are quite a few ways I practice sight reading.

1. I have a set of volumes by David Motto called 'Essential Sightreading Studies for Electric Bass'. Wonderful books. I got them about 4 years ago before I was working full-time and was still in college. With time I got busy and lost touch so am planning to start all over.

2. Studybass.com has a bass clef quiz and other exercises which I keep practicing every once in a while in a day.

3. Whenever I learn/play anything, in a day, I try to make it a point to transcribe a small part of whatever I might have ended up with. I've gotten pretty good with writing down the notes, the timing I still get very confused with. Very rusty I guess.

4. I play the treble clef and rhythm clef as well. I've noticed that you can convert a treble clef transcription into bass clef by just shifting notes in the treble, i.e, I know that treble clef is two full steps higher than bass clef. (Treble>Bass in pitch) so I fiddle around with those. With regard to rhythm clefs, I just make everything in the R.Clef sheet into a percussive bass move, like a slap, a thump, a ghost note, a tap... it's wonderful what paradiddles had done to my playing. A pity that the day job screwed it all up.

5. If I ever bought a book with both notation and tabs, I'd go haywire over the tabs with ewith permanent marker to I'd cover it with tape or paper. If you can't read tabs, you won't depend on them. I haven't read tabs for 7 years now.

I never took classes so I had to figure everything out on my own, so I guess I had a very loony and personalized approach to it all. I might be doing it wrong, but it works for me. :) Now I figure I ought to do it right, since I've gotten very rusty, so I bought the 3 volumes for LCM's music grade exam(Grades 0-2, 3-5, 6-8) called Bass Guitar Playing(Published by Registry of Guitar Tutors). Wonderful books if you want to develop overall playing.

Edited by faiz0802

[quote name='chrismuzz' post='1159123' date='Mar 12 2011, 11:27 AM']Welcome to the forum! :)

I'm sure I saw a Marcus Miller Jazz in the For Sale section last night, I don't think it had the original neck though. Have a poke around![/quote]

Thank you for the warm welcome. :) Yes ofcourse, I contacted the seller on that thread. Thing is, I've been drooling and GAS'ing for that bass for 6 years now, which is a very long time, and now that I have the cash saved up, that's all I'm looking for. Thank you for pointing out. Do let me know if you come across any other offers. :lol:

Thanks for the advice about sight reading. I looked up 'Essential Sightreading Studies for Electric Bass' on the web and it only eems to be available inthe USA now. I think I'll put out a request on Basschat to see if anyone has old copies they would consider selling.

Paul