Why become a member? ×

So my Rickenbacker arrived!

tomb

So my Rickenbacker arrived and i started playing with it right away to get a feel from its neck and all that. feels great, its heavy but lighter than i was expecting.
as expected there are 2 pieces missing but that are nothing more than cosmetic i believe, then i started noticing stuff on it... ok its in mint condition but i never saw (not that ive seen many) a bridge like that on the Rickenbacker and then i started looking for its serial number and i cant find it anywhere...

is my Rick a fake? :)

Edited by tomb

[quote name='tomb' post='1154351' date='Mar 8 2011, 07:37 PM']So my Rickenbacker arrived and i started playing with it right away to get a feel from its neck and all that. feels great, its heavy but lighter than i was expecting.
as expected there are 2 pieces missing but that are nothing more than cosmetic i believe, then i started noticing stuff on it... ok its in mint condition but i never saw (not that ive seen many) a bridge like that on the Rickenbacker and then i started looking for its serial number and i cant find it anywhere...

is my Rick a fake? :)[/quote]
I think you already know the answer to your own question :)

seen a site where they show a few possible places for it but i cant find in any of those places, this bass is over 20 years old and i dont know if the plate got changed or not. the entire bass is mint not a single scratch in it. i bought it from a person that has been a friend of my family for around 40 years and was a professional musician for more than that, i trust him alot, but still doubts arise after having a closer look at it :\

Im no expert but that bridge jumps out at you as being out of place. I have one the same on my cheapo Westfield P bass costing £75 new for the entire guitar. Hopefully a Rick expert will be along soon.

Where did you buy it from? Surely you saw reasonably detailed pictures of it before paying ?

Edited by daz

What is the exact model? Rickenbackers are infamous for being abundant with fakes. Some are so good that even 30 or 40 years later they are only just been found out (or not at all) Which i suppose means that they must be pretty good whoever made them :) Some have owned what they thought was genuine for deacdes and only found out the truth after having it appraised for sale.

Re the bridge: There is a similar smaller bridge on the 460/6 MG. Though not the same it does look closer to the one on yours.

If it were mine id try it with another bridge of the more famous Rickenbacker style (dont know what they are called) Just because it would look better, and if it also sounds the same or better then keep it that way.

However if you paid a reasonable price for it and it sounds and looks good and you are happy with it, then thats all that really matters.

Let us know the model number and we can help find out. (not the serial number)

Edited by daz

Hi - sorry to confirm that the bass is not a Rickenbacker.

I'm not 100% sure what it is but the twin-trussrod adjusters are the same as those used on Italian-made Ghersons, although the Ghersons I have seen have different tuners and a more Rickenbacker-styled bridge. They also had the more common triangle inlays so this is possibly a different model from the same range.

An interesting & unusual Faker, but not a real Rick, I'm afraid.

Jon.

Edit - just checked your other thread & if you got that for €250, you should still be well pleased, that's a steal for any Faker!

Edited by Bassassin

[quote name='Beedster' post='1154412' date='Mar 8 2011, 08:16 PM']It's a very Fendery Ric, kind of a Precisionbacker. SN should be on the jack plate

Hope it works out for you[/quote]

hummm the previous owned does have a precision maybe we interchanged some parts? i dont know anymore :\

[quote name='Bassassin' post='1154414' date='Mar 8 2011, 08:16 PM']Hi - sorry to confirm that the bass is not a Rickenbacker.

I'm not 100% sure what it is but the twin-trussrod adjusters are the same as those used on Italian-made Ghersons, although the Ghersons I have seen have different tuners and a more Rickenbacker-styled bridge. They also had the more common triangle inlays so this is possibly a different model from the same range.

An interesting & unusual Faker, but not a real Rick, I'm afraid.

Jon.

Edit - just checked your other thread & if you got that for €250, you should still be well pleased, that's a steal for any Faker![/quote]

on the bridge pickups it says SHADOW, dunno if thats any help to figure out what it is

[quote name='tomb' post='1154418' date='Mar 8 2011, 08:19 PM']hummm the previous owned does have a precision maybe we interchanged some parts? i dont know anymore :\[/quote]
I don't think any of the parts on show are Rickenbacker parts, with the possible exception of the bridge pickup surround/cover - though I'd expect that isn't a genuine part either. Like Jon says, the truss rod adjusters aren't correct and tellingly real Ricks have a rout under the bridge, which would make fitting a Fender type impossible with out filling the hole first.

Still, if it only cost you €250 you should be pleased. :)

why didnt you show us pics of the fretboard or headstock?

It looks like you have dots on the fretboard rather than the shark inlays, even though you have binding on the body. That I believe is a mismatch. Is the fretboard lacquered?

The bridge is wrong and even if it had been replaced you are still missing the routed hole where the original ric bridge sits into it. Also the binding below the bridge is continuous whereas the binding on mine stops below the bridge.

If your offered a ric for £250 then I think you should just assume its a fake.

Bassassin (Jon) is the man on this matter though.

For £250 thats a steal for a nice bass like that, i didnt realize thats all you paid :) If i got one like that for £250 id be well happy. Once I'd got it I would fit a genuine chunky Ric bridge on it to give it '[i]t[/i][i]he look'[/i] then id just be happy id got a bargain, especially if its a good sound like you say.

Edited by daz

and the official saying is:

[quote]Richard Cannata
to me

show details 20:56 (6 minutes ago)

Hi Paul,

That bass is a fake. To me it looks like an old Ibanez copy.

Regards,

Richard Cannata

Director of Customer Service

714.545.5574 Extension 233 7:00AM - 3:30PM PST

Rickenbacker International Corporation

3895 S. Main St, Santa Ana, CA 92707[/quote]

[quote name='daz' post='1154484' date='Mar 8 2011, 08:59 PM']For £250 thats a steal for a nice bass like that, i didnt realize thats all you paid :) If i got one like that for £250 id be well happy. Once I'd got it I would fit a genuine chunky Ric bridge on it to give it '[i]t[/i][i]he look'[/i] then id just be happy id got a bargain, especially if its a good sound like you say.[/quote]
He's actually paid 250 [i]Euro[/i] for it, which currently works out to £215. In my books that's a bit of a bargain (especially with a case). I'm just wondering if a Hipshot replacement bridge needs the routing that the real deal does? Old Horse Murphy has one on the for sale forum at the moment - unless it's already gone. :)

Ibanez? Interesting i wouldn't have thought it was an Ibby but I'm certainly no expert. An old Ibby Rickenfaker can be a very nice bass to own Id have paid £300 for it without a doubt, so £215 is an excellent price. I think you ought to be congratulated for getting such a good bargain..

Edited by daz