Why become a member? ×

Any Lakland Skyline Duck Dunn owners here?

dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='138049' date='Feb 11 2008, 11:13 AM']My New DD just turned up.
Very impressed with the neck (my main worry). The action is a bit low as its buzzing a lot but it feels too low for me anyway so once i raise it up it will be great. The neck feels a bit shallower compared to my Jazz, could be flatter i guess but its very nice.

Colour wise im happy. I was hoping it wouldn't be too bright and its not. I will have to change the pick guard though. whites ok but i might go for a black one as i like the red/black look of my Jazz. Nice and 70's looking.

The only downer is the bass is quite dirty. quite a few grease looking marks on it and some smudges on the bridge. Nothing that wont come off though.. Cant see any fingerprints but the plastic film on the pick guard has been taken off around the bottom half by the controls. There are also a couple of small black imperfections in the paint work. Again, not a big deal, just making me think that i should get it swapped but im always like this.
Its definitely been out of the box as it has Thomann tape on on top of the original. Maybe its a return or a shop model.
I guess these are minor worries and although i can get it sent back im probably going to keep it if it sounds good and plays well.

I wont get to play it through an amp until Sat but ill plug it in to the PC or Pandora tonight and have a play. If it sounds good and plays well it might be worth me keeping it as the next one could be worse.[/quote]

Sounds to me like you got an ex-demo or a customer return. I would challenge them over this and get it replaced with a brand new one before doing anything to it.

[quote name='obbm' post='138258' date='Feb 11 2008, 04:05 PM']Sounds to me like you got an ex-demo or a customer return. I would challenge them over this and get it replaced with a brand new one before doing anything to it.[/quote]

Yeah. I have emailed them. ill wait and see what they say.
I see that they are now out of stock (small delay when ordering) l'll request a refund/pick up but ill place another order so the two overlap.
that way im covered with a bass. Ill look after it but ill also use it if i need to.

Still very impressed with ti though. Itching to get home tonight and plug it in. Cant believe how nice the neck is. It feels smaller than my Jazz but i think its the depth rather than the width, after all, they are both 1.5" at the nut.

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='138278' date='Feb 11 2008, 04:36 PM']Poor Dave - nothing's straightforward is it mate :)

Jealous of Preston.[/quote]

you know what. it seems the more i pay for something the more problms i have.
Still, if i was to be stuck with it thats fine. Its only the black donts in the finish that bugging me now. Im hoping Dave might chime in with how his one looks.
But, as i can send it back i might as well. Its not right sending out a bass in this state and expecting me to pay full whack for it IMO.
Its just working out when. Im really geared up for using it this weekend but I know if i order another one it wont arrive by then.

I have had a reply from Thomann asking for pics of the marks but seeing as i have cleaned it up now i told them there was no point.
But that i would like to get a refund on this one and order another.
Ill wait till they get back to me on it. I konw from last time that they were happy to take the MIM back after three weeks of it sitting here at work.

[quote name='obbm' post='138386' date='Feb 11 2008, 06:48 PM']Dave, I've just given mine a thorough inspection and there are no black marks or imperfections anywhere, just lovely sparkly CAR. I can take some close-up pix if you want.[/quote]

Thanks Dave. no pic needed.

Ive made up my mind to try and get it changed. As i said above ill need to place another order but as i have the first one here ill keep hold of it untill the new one arrives.

The finish is really nice though isnt it? I wasnt expecting sparkle. The pics on the Lakland site dont do it justice.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='138401' date='Feb 11 2008, 06:58 PM']The finish is really nice though isnt it? I wasnt expecting sparkle. The pics on the Lakland site dont do it justice.[/quote]

It's very cool and no the pictures don't do it justice. I've tried a black mirror and a white pearl scratch plate and can't make my mind up which is best.

As for the neck, it is one of the best I've played. Slim, shallow and easy, a bit of a blonde really.

[quote name='obbm' post='138411' date='Feb 11 2008, 07:14 PM']As for the neck, it is one of the best I've played. Slim, shallow and easy, a bit of a blonde really.[/quote]

Yeah, and its not cheap ;-)

I will be changing the pick guard once im settled with it.
I heard there is a place in the states that do them but ill have a look around the UK first. Quite fancy a plain black one.

Dave,
I know it's after the event etc. ( mind you not completely, if you invoke the Thoman 10 day return clause) The Thoman price is £ 887 against the list price at the Gallery of £1025 and as Alex form the Gallery just confirmed yesterday, in another thread, they will always try and match another price. Maybe not all the difference, however you would have had your DD set up exactly as you wanted it and seen it before collecting it and known where to go it you ever wanted something done in the future.
You are based in London after all…

'Still not too late to make that call :)

Good luck what the bass whatever you decide to do

P

[quote name='Platypus' post='138455' date='Feb 11 2008, 08:31 PM']Dave,
I know it's after the event etc. ( mind you not completely, if you invoke the Thoman 10 day return clause) The Thoman price is £ 887 against the list price at the Gallery of £1025 and as Alex form the Gallery just confirmed yesterday, in another thread, they will always try and match another price. Maybe not all the difference, however you would have had your DD set up exactly as you wanted it and seen it before collecting it and known where to go it you ever wanted something done in the future.
You are based in London after all…

'Still not too late to make that call :)

Good luck what the bass whatever you decide to do

P[/quote]

Thanks for looking in to that.
The only problem i have is in using my Amex card and the Gallery dont accept Amex.
I did want to get it for them (as i did for a few things) but my big purches go on my Amex card. Also. £887 is more than i should be affording, I'm pretty sure the Gallery wont mtch that And that includes postage as well. I cant get to the BC in the near future. They didnt match the Bass Centre when i was looking for a LMII. Not a slur on the The Gallery, just that money is tight. I ended up getting it form the Gallery anyway as i didnt want to order it from the BC but i paid £60 more for for it.
Also im capable of doing my own set up (based on every Lakland ive played they dont need much).

'Fair enough, you'd obviously considered that one fully..

P

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='138465' date='Feb 11 2008, 08:53 PM']Thanks for looking in to that.
The only problem i have is in using my Amex card and the Gallery dont accept Amex.
I did want to get it for them (as i did for a few things) but my big purches go on my Amex card. Also. £887 is more than i should be affording, I'm pretty sure the Gallery wont mtch that And that includes postage as well. I cant get to the BC in the near future. They didnt match the Bass Centre when i was looking for a LMII. Not a slur on the The Gallery, just that money is tight. I ended up getting it form the Gallery anyway as i didnt want to order it from the BC but i paid £60 more for for it.
Also im capable of doing my own set up (based on every Lakland ive played they dont need much).[/quote]

Morning all.
Here an update after playing the DD for an hour last night.
First off, its heavier than my HW-One. not a bad thing i guess. It seems to sustain for hours. quite surprised and impressed at that.
Sound wise (and this is just through my Ampeg software plug-in, in to headphones) its sounds ok. Yeah, ok.
I cant really tell much difference between that and the HW-One but then its not an ideal situation so im not worried about that.
The neck has the lowest action i have ever played. And its not buzzing through the headphones so i guess its a perfect set up.
But, and heres the bit that shocked me, While i played it for over a hour and was happy with it i then plugged my HW-One in and it made me grin.
The HW1 Jazz neck seems to be right for me. Its slightly fatter than the DD and the action is slightly higher but i realise i was having to use a different hand position to play the DD and it wasn't as comfortable.
Not a big problem in itself but it got me thinking. I have a Bass i love and have already paid for, why am i spending money on something else?

So, bottom line is its going back. ive had an email from Thomann and they are fine with it going back. It wont be until next week so that gives me time to get used to it. Ill try it out on a gig on Sat. If i still dont see the point of having it ill just stick with the HW-One. Maybe try and get another Jazz neck as i want to put this one back on my Jazz at some point (the reason for getting the DD i guess).
If i do get used to it then ill either order another one from Thomann or maybe give Alex a call at the Gallery. Ive found a way to get the funds on my Master card so i guess i could go shopping with that. If the Gallery dont have anything in stock though or the cost is too high then i would use Thomann again (for the reasons in my previous post) but im struggling now to justify spending that sort fo money when im happy already. A neck would be a lot cheaper than a new bass.

Ok, ive had a change of mind.
After playing it for an hour ro so through my Pandora i now feel this bass is fantastic and i will be getting another one.
Thi0 sone is still going back due to the imperfections in the finish. Ive had an email form Lakland saying it does happen but its not the norm.
Im thinking ahead to when i sell it.
As far as the neck goes, i now love it. Ive still got to try it standng up but it does now feel a bit better. Still cant get over the action. Plus its a great slap neck (and i cant really play slap ut i feel like i can)
Tone wise its very versitile. Its quite a bright sound with the tone full up but baking it off makes a huge difference and each nudge seem to do something as opposed to my HW-one that takes a lot of movement to make a difference you can hear.
There also seems ot be a hell of a lot of thump to the sound. Cant wait till Sats gig.

Thanks for bearing with me through my blond moment.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='Danny' post='139137' date='Feb 12 2008, 10:20 PM']At first I didn't notice the AM/PM next to the time of the posts and thought they were only 3 minutes apart. I was thinking "this guys got some kind of split personality disorder"! :)[/quote]

LOL. Well i did say i was having a blond moment

Just an update.
Had my first gig with the DD last night. First time through a rig.
All i can say is WOW. what a difference compared to my HW-One.
The DD had so much more life to it. Lots of punch without sounding too middy. The band even commented on how good it sounded (and we all know guitarists very rarely even know we are on stage).
For the first time i found i was using the tone knob as if i was playing my Jazz. All the way up and the sound is very bright an "rock" sounding, especially when i played with a pick on the old Jam and punk numbers. Backed off a bit it was warmer but still clear. all the way off was just perfect for the more mellower songs. Slap sounds were also great. lots of low end thud with a good snappy top end.
I dont normally use the tone know much. Although it works ok on my HW-One it seem to need turning quite a bit to make a difference that can be heard in the mix but the DD seemed to have loads of variation.

Still cant get over the amount of thump coming from my pick playing.
only downside to the gig was it was over half empty so we mucked around a bit. All good fun though.

For anyone thinking of getting this bass all i can say is go for it. Its a lot, lot cheaper than the US version as well.

Cheers.

Edited by dave_bass5

Just a quick update.
The new DD just arrived and its a different shade of red. the body matches the headstock so its more of a wine red. not a problem really but it also doesn't sparkle as much, being darker.
Also, it turned up in the same condition as the first which leads me to think they leave the factory like this rather than the first one being used. The plastic covering on the PG looks the same as the first one (ie, part of it missing).

Set up is identical so thats great.

Just have to decide what one to keep now. this new one has less blemishes in the finish but to be honest im not worried about them like i was to start with.

Edited by dave_bass5

• 3 weeks later...

Just a final update.

After saying the second bass was the set up the same it turned out that the bridge was very high but i still got fret buzz on the E string.
I couldn't adjust it enough to get rid of it.

I kept the first bass and love it. Ive now got a black PG on it. Not 100% on the look of it but its better than the white IMO.

Edited by dave_bass5