Why become a member? ×

Some advice.....

Beedster

Don't dislocate your middle finger :huh:. Without doubt the most painful injury I've had to date; can't play bass, can't do most things I normally take for granted (try cleaning your teeth with your wrong hand - toothpaste everywhere), and have a hand the size of a small melon!
Doing this has made me realise just how bloody valuable my hands are :)
Chris

i've done a couple of them myself......not pleasant!! but use ice-baths (just for the hand) to ease the swelling and pain. it'll go numb, which will enable you to start gentle movements.

other than that, alcohol is the pain-killer of choice!!

Edited by kdphysio

My mate's a guitarist, and last June got bumped while sawing, which immediately severed one of his fingers.

Had to have microsurgery to put it all back together again, but even now he's still not right. He says his biggest problem is his brain telling his finger whereabouts to go on the fretboard, but the finger decides elsewhere.

That made me think exactly the same....I just take it for granted I've got all my digits, and they're in working order.

I broke my middle finger when I was little and my parents at the time didn't do anything other than ice it. So when I hold my fingers straight out now my middle finger is arched, if I move it to be straight like my other fingers it bends upwards. Though I was very young then and it hasn't affected my playing at all which is lucky ( I wouldn't know if it did anyway)

Edited by Cjac

Yeah Breaking/dislocating fingers is a nightmare. I have broken plenty (Arms, legs, feet, shoulderblade and fingers) and by far the greatest pain I have ever suffered in my entire life was breaking my pinky playing football in school. I broke my shoulderblade after that and the pain was nowhere near.