Why become a member? ×

Replacing Fender Precision Bass Pickguard

AinsleyWalker

Basically I'm thinking of buying a Fender Precision.
I preferably wanted it to be sunburst, with a maple fingerboard and a tortoiseshell pickguard.

I found one, Standard American(below, but with maple fingerboard) but it's a bit out of my price range.

I found another, 50's style (below) but it has that anodised pickguard, so I figured, why not just buy it and replace the guard with one like in the first link.

Here's the problem. The Standard american has a 13 hole pickguard, which seems to be all I can find for sale, while the 50's style has a 10 hole pickguard. :) I guess I could drill holes but I also have no idea if they're even the same size!!

I've tried looking into it and visited my local shop today but they weren't much help. Anyone here know if the size of the 2 pickguards will roughly be the same? I don't mind drilling holes if the guards will be the same size.

Thanks a lot :)

Edited by AinsleyWalker

It is roughly the same. I have the bottom bass & it now looks more like the top bass.

Actually I've since flipped the necks over on a couple but my point is made.

The other alternative is a custom pickguard. The 57RI is a lovely, lovely bass so I really would consider this option first

Yeah same size but the USA Fender guard has a notch to allow access to the truss rod at the bottom of the neck. You could also try Mighty Mite pickguards as they are the same size being made under license to Fender - I have one on my USA Fender P.

I have one of these 50's Ps absolutely brilliant bass. I had a pickguard custom made by Aurora Project www.auroraproject.co.uk/ .
I sent them the metal p/g and they made me a white one with the holes in the right place for their standard charge and were great to deal with.