Why become a member? ×

2x10 help

nipplebass

Glad you`re happy with it Alex, agree, they are fantastic cabs. Only prob for the OP is they are an 8 ohm cab.

Can`t think of many 210 cabs that are 4 ohms, apart from the Peavey TVX 210 - which is a good cab, and not much money, only 175 watts though.

Don`t think there will be too many 210s at 4 ohms capable of 400 watts, though the VBA puts out 400 at 2 ohms, so thats 200 into each 4 ohm cab. Still a bit much for the Peavey, but a 4 ohm 250 watt cab should handle it ok.

I`m sure many will advise against it though, and I don`t really have enough understanding of the hows and whys to explain it all, and I`m sure they will help on this.

[quote name='nipplebass' post='1148416' date='Mar 3 2011, 02:31 PM']ive got a yamaha 210 that runs at 250 at 4ohm just a bit dubious at running it with a 400watt all valve head[/quote]
If you're running it with the VBC (and I'm not getting into the "mixing cabs" thing now), you'll have 200W running to each cab, so if it's rated to 250W, you're well within acceptable limits. (Of course, there's no substitute for listening to the cabs and hearing when they're at breaking point.)

[quote name='nipplebass' post='1148334' date='Mar 3 2011, 01:28 PM']and why would i want to do that?[/quote]
You asked for a recommendation, that's what I would do. :)

You'll find 2 decent quality 2x10s stacked vertically will do all that you need. Plenty of depth & the Markbass cabs have tweeters too & my back likes the light wight. Doesn't have to be Markbass cabs tho, there's many good brands & barefaced (Alex Claber on here) are highly rated too. Or if you want to self build, then BFM (Bill Fitzmaurice on here) are also highly rated.

I didn't mean to sound cheeky about selling the 4x12, just a suggestion. :)

Oh, & welcome to BassChat.

[quote name='xgsjx' post='1148432' date='Mar 3 2011, 02:42 PM']You asked for a recommendation, that's what I would do. :)

You'll find 2 decent quality 2x10s stacked vertically will do all that you need. Plenty of depth & the Markbass cabs have tweeters too & my back likes the light wight. Doesn't have to be Markbass cabs tho, there's many good brands & barefaced (Alex Claber on here) are highly rated too. Or if you want to self build, then BFM (Bill Fitzmaurice on here) are also highly rated.

I didn't mean to sound cheeky about selling the 4x12, just a suggestion. :)

Oh, & welcome to BassChat.[/quote]

hahaha no worries mate!

i love the sheer power and balls of the 412 its one of the best cabs ive played, just looking for something to boost the high end a bit.

[quote name='nipplebass' post='1148433' date='Mar 3 2011, 02:47 PM']so if i was to drive the 412 and the 210(yamaha) at 2ohm both cabs would be recieving 200watt?[/quote]
Yes. They're both 4-ohm cabs, so plug 'em both in and the amp sees 2 ohms total load (so make sure you flip the switch to "2 ohms"), and the 400W of power will be divided equally between them: 200W each. Proceed to rock out and decide if you like what you hear.

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='1148447' date='Mar 3 2011, 02:53 PM']Yes. They're both 4-ohm cabs, so plug 'em both in and the amp sees 2 ohms total load (so make sure you flip the switch to "2 ohms"), and the 400W of power will be divided equally between them: 200W each. Proceed to rock out and decide if you like what you hear.[/quote]

you've just saved me a sh*t load of money hahahhaha

thanks alot man!