Why become a member? ×

Do you play 4 different to 5?

Rumble

For the past x-teen years I've been playing 5 string basses with the odd 6 string thrown in here and there, but recently I've acquired a 4 string jazz and I have to say that I really like what it's done for my playing. I actually expected to struggle with adapting back to 4 strings after so long, but it oddly seems to provide more space for my fingers to move in. I don't know whether it's anything to do with scale length or what, but it just feels somehow .... easier. It also seem to change the way I phrase my playing.

Has anyone else ever noticed this?

The sour taste in the mouth is that I've also just acquired probably the best 5 string bass I've ever had (Overwater). Aaarrrggghh!!

Edited by Rumble

I tend to use the B string as a giant thumb rest when I'm not playing it :)

Having more strings does feel a bit more cramped though, and obviously the neck is wider which would make it feel different to play, whether thats a good or a bad thing. Then again it could just be psychological if it's not due to the string spacing, but that doesn't mean it's silly! Also if I'm playing sloppily one day i'm a lot more likely to hit the other strings on a 6 than i am on a 4.

I think 4 and 5 string basses sound TOTALLY different. I realise all basses sound different even if they are the same model, but the E sounds totally different on a 5 string (comparing my Rays).

Totally different feel.

Its like having TWO different instruments...and being able to play different 4 and 5 (or more) basses is quite fun and develops your playing. Switching between them, and being able to, is helpful.

So do you think it's the tone of a bass that influences the way it's played then? I've noticed in the past that I'll play the same song quite differently using a P bass than how I'd play it with something more modern. Am I the exception rather than the rule?!