Why become a member? ×

I'm Gona Be In BIIIIIG TROUBLE!

johnDeereJack

I just bought another MKV Trace Elliot 1518 off eBay!

This now means I'll have THREE MKV TE cabs - 1x1048 and 2x1518.

The last MKV 1518 I bought had the original 15" 200watt Celestion driver replaced with a 15" 400watt Celestion driver. (not a bad thing!) THEN I find ANOTHER MKV 1518, this time 100% original, on ebay with a starting price of £50 (I got it for £70 all-in) :)

I now all I need to do is hide this new one from the missus once it arrives, then find out which one sounds better coupled with the 1048 and my amp head then maybe sell the spare one!

Or maybe I'll just keep it! :)

I love old school Trace gear!

Old school Trace gear is great. I've just sold all of my last pieces and I'm not sure that I'm not going to regret it. Sure it has a certain signature sound but what a sound. Great for punchy, springy, funky rounds IMO! If I wasn't chasing the tube tone in a smaller box I'd still be a Trace user without doubt.

This post has made my day! :D I've just pulled the trigger on another cab, and been thinking about what romantic gestures or excuses I can come up with to soften the inevitable fall out!

I've contemplated the following over the last couple of days:
1. Just putting it in the spare room and seeing if she notices - "Yeah, something has changed in here.....I cant quite put my finger on it though..... :)".
2. Out and out lying - "what are you talking about, thats always been there".
3. A romantic night out and dropping it in casually over dinner - "On this perfect evening, you look more beautiful than ever my darling. By the way, I've got a new bass cab, I bet you cant wait to see it".
4. Elaborating the truth slightly over recent sales: "yeah, you know that strap I sold on basschat? Yeah, that covered the purchase of this! No, I couldnt believe it either!".

In fairness, my lady's always pretty supportive about gear, but I have just acquired a new amp and new bass, and now a cab - consequently I've been feeling the same way as you!!

Congratulations on the purchase! Thats a great price!! Keep it! :lol: I'm not a fan of selling unless a) you have to or b.) you need to liqudise the asset!! :)

Edit cause b came up as cool!!

Edited by Salt on your Bass?

[quote name='johnDeereJack' post='1145906' date='Mar 1 2011, 03:32 PM']I just bought another MKV Trace Elliot 1518 off eBay!

This now means I'll have THREE MKV TE cabs - 1x1048 and 2x1518.

The last MKV 1518 I bought had the original 15" 200watt Celestion driver replaced with a 15" 400watt Celestion driver. (not a bad thing!) THEN I find ANOTHER MKV 1518, this time 100% original, on ebay with a starting price of £50 (I got it for £70 all-in) :)

I now all I need to do is hide this new one from the missus once it arrives, then find out which one sounds better coupled with the 1048 and my amp head then maybe sell the spare one!

Or maybe I'll just keep it! :)

I love old school Trace gear![/quote]
couldnt agree more about the old trace stuff, put my (old) gear on "rigs at gigs" thread the other day but the new gear"ists" not impressed!

Thanks for all the words of encouragement and thoughtful ways of hiding said cabinet from her but I must admit since buying and paying for it I have come clean.

I asked if she remembered the last cab I bought (she really couldn't say 'No' because it's in the hall underneath the 4x10!) and explained that even though it was a Mk V 1518 TE cab, it really wasn't a MkV 1518 TE cab because it had a 400watt driver fitted as opposed to the stock 200watt driver where as THIS one off ebay was 100% original!

This information was absorbed in whatever way women do that and the reply was thus:

[b]"So, when you sell the new one you just bought you'll get more money for it?"[/b][i][/i]

I love women! :)

The old Trace stuff is brilliant :).

Heavy though, I bought a 4x10 last year. It sounded amazing, but it was too heavy for skinny me.

I've never played through a cab like this. But it was the 'classic' rig wasn't it ? I remember seeing Tony butler playing with Big Country on the Tube, using two 4x10's and two of these.

See it here -

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-fl_VzKVmQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-fl_VzKVmQ[/url]

Edited by Soliloquy