Why become a member? ×

Is the pup position on a Sterling the same with 1 or 2 pups

warwickhunt

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='1142182' date='Feb 26 2011, 11:15 AM'][url="http://instantrimshot.com/index.php?sound=rimshot&play=true"]yep, at the back.[/url]

I thank you.[/quote]

Roll up, roll up! :)

Obviously I'm after knowing if the rear pup on both basses is placed in 'exactly' the same place or was the rear pup on the $$ placed a bit further forward/back from the bridge to accommodate either the fitting/aesthetics/sound of the extra pup? :)

[quote name='Duarte' post='1142189' date='Feb 26 2011, 11:22 AM']After suffereing that drum sound through my huge system...I can tell you that they are in EXACTLY the same place.

You get all the same sounds. And more...Only the Bongo has the pickup moved, because of the 24 fret neck.[/quote]

Cheers mate. If I end up going for a 2 pup bass I want to be sure that the rear pup on the twin pup will sound exactly the same as the single pup bass (variation between any two basses taken into account) as that's the sound I liked on my last Sterling; added to which I prefer the look of the single pup so if I whip the front pup out then I can just fit a standard Sterling single pup scratchplate and it'll disguise the hole... who needs versatility; I'm the bass player, I only use one sound live! :)

[quote name='danhkr' post='1142314' date='Feb 26 2011, 01:33 PM']Whilst we're at it, is it the back switch position on a H sterling that 'is most like' a standard stingray pickup?[/quote]
Well The Sterling HH is wired in series, so the back switch position is the back humbucker wired in series - the stingray is parallel. So it's 'most like' the stingray, but slightly different due to that.

This also means that the other 2 positions on the H sterling are sacrificed (parallel and single coil mode) on the HH Sterling.