Why become a member? ×

When is a Warwick Thumb NOT a Warwick Thumb...

warwickhunt

I seriously thought someone had made a mistake when they were listing their Thumb bass... till I saw the headstock!

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/John-Shuker-Custom-Thru-Neck-5-String-Bass-Active-/150568546366?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item230e95b03e"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/John-Shuker-Custom-T...=item230e95b03e[/url]

I have to confess though it isn't exactly the same there is more than a passing resemblance; I assume the guy who ordered it wanted something 'like' a Thumb.

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' post='1141254' date='Feb 25 2011, 02:21 PM']He didn't spell Jon right either! (Not a huuuggge issue i know but still)

Something definately doesn't add up...[/quote]
That's the first thing that crossed my mind when I saw it. Maybe it is some early work? Or maybe someone just copied the headstock and is trying to pass it on as a Shuker?

Weird.

I've got to say that the actual skeleton of the bass looks to have a fair bit of quality to it and appears to be very well shaped/contoured/made... in fact part of me wondered for a while if the headstock had been grafted onto a Thumb bass! The issues to appear to be over placement of fittings etc. and that is something which 'would appear' to be pretty tardy.

Does say it was made in '95 - altho' I have a better theory.....

Jon built it as a Warwick rep for a customer and as I doubt Warwick hardware was commercially available back then it was assembled by Jon with other hardware, and someone other than Jon has fitted the Warwick bridge since which would explain the alignment issues of all components.....

Jeez I should be a detective....... :)

[quote name='The Burpster' post='1141452' date='Feb 25 2011, 04:41 PM']Does say it was made in '95 - altho' I have a better theory.....

Jon built it as a Warwick rep for a customer and as I doubt Warwick hardware was commercially available back then it was assembled by Jon with other hardware, and someone other than Jon has fitted the Warwick bridge since which would explain the alignment issues of all components.....

Jeez I should be a detective....... :)[/quote]

That would explain it .... except for the pickups being slightly squint!

And the Warwick bridge has a footprint so unlike other bridges, that I'd expect there to be some trace of the previous (Shuker-fitted) bridge if your story were correct.

But I agree with Warwickhunt, that the woodwork makes this look like a quality instrument, certainly not a cheap fake.

It would probably be best if someone could contact Jon Shuker himself and see what he says. But then again, it's always fun to speculate wildly with no factual basis :)

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1141303' date='Feb 25 2011, 03:00 PM']... and that is something which 'would appear' to be pretty tardy.[/quote]

:) Sorry, could you translate this, please? "Tardy", to me, means "late", but this doesn't seem to make sense. Does it have some different meaning up your neck of the woods?

Edited by mart

[quote name='setekh' post='1141299' date='Feb 25 2011, 02:49 PM']Maybe it is some early work?
Weird.[/quote]
that would be my first thought. maybe the saddles are setup wrong by the owner? pickups f***ed up but i'm sure it still sounds reet. a big price for a less than perfect (but a one off none the less) bass. surely someone can get clar from mr shuker himself.

[quote name='mart' post='1141487' date='Feb 25 2011, 05:08 PM']:) Sorry, could you translate this, please? "Tardy", to me, means "late", but this doesn't seem to make sense. Does it have some different meaning up your neck of the woods?[/quote]

Strange that! I've always used the word 'tardy' to indicate; substandard, sloppy, slapdash.

Whereas the dictionary definition does indicate lateness.... so yes in answer to your question, up my neck of the woods it does mean something else! :)

If you look closely to the bridge you can see a dark stain coming from beneath it in direction to the pickup. This sugests that that isn't the original bridge! Don't know JS's work personaly (i'm a bit far for that) but everybody has his faults and that pickup position could be the result of a distraction!

On a second look the pu's seam straight (paralel to each other)! I get the feeling that the neck pu is longer than the bridge pu and that gives the ilusion of being misplaced, probably a choice from the customer in this specific pu's resulted in that!
Also another thing that seems to decieve our eyes is the slight inclination of the pu's, not as big as the original W's but still a fair a bit.

Don't think the bass was amistake from Jon, probably a result of very poor choices from the customer when ordering...

edit: i was trying to do some spelling check but there are so many mistakes i ended giving up! I think you all understand what i'm writting...

Edited by Ghost_Bass

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' post='1141537' date='Feb 25 2011, 06:04 PM']If you look closely to the bridge you can see a dark stain coming from beneath it in direction to the pickup. This sugests that that isn't the original bridge! Don't know JS's work personaly (i'm a bit far for that) but everybody has his faults and that pickup position could be the result of a distraction![/quote]

It could also mean my theory is spot on.

If the saddles are not exactly parallel with the 24th fret it could set up an optical illusion (that is exaggerated by the photo) that the pups are not spot on. (waddya reckon Letts? sound theory?)

the few JS basses I have played with (and I have owned one briefly) have all been spot on geometry wise, I would be gobsmacked if he was happy letting one out of his workshop wonky......

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' post='1141544' date='Feb 25 2011, 06:10 PM']On a second look the pu's seam straight (paralel to each other)! I get the feeling that the neck pu is longer than the bridge pu and that gives the ilusion of being misplaced, probably a choice from the customer in this specific pu's resulted in that!
Also another thing that seems to decieve our eyes is the slight inclination of the pu's, not as big as the original W's but still a fair a bit.

Don't think the bass was amistake from Jon, probably a result of very poor choices from the customer when ordering...

edit: i was trying to do some spelling check but there are so many mistakes i ended giving up! I think you all understand what i'm writting...[/quote]
hmm. true, the pups look like they are back to front, still not quite lined up with each other though. but hey, if fender people can live with dodgy bridge alignment, surely this is a trifle. £795 starting price is a tad ambitious.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1141530' date='Feb 25 2011, 05:47 PM']Strange that! I've always used the word 'tardy' to indicate; substandard, sloppy, slapdash.

Whereas the dictionary definition does indicate lateness.... so yes in answer to your question, up my neck of the woods it does mean something else! :)[/quote]

Thanks. I always like learning foreign languages :)

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' post='1141537' date='Feb 25 2011, 06:04 PM']If you look closely to the bridge you can see a dark stain coming from beneath it in direction to the pickup. This sugests that that isn't the original bridge! Don't know JS's work personaly (i'm a bit far for that) but everybody has his faults and that pickup position could be the result of a distraction![/quote]

I hadn't noticed the dark stain, but you're right it does suggest the bridge has been changed. Although the width of the stain is exactly the same as the W bridge, which makes me think the bridge might have simply been moved back. (But not far enough back).

After playing with the images I think the two pickups are parallel (or very near to it), and the squintness may be an illusion caused by the angle they're at. But it is a strange angle - so close to perpendicular, yet not. But yes, that could just be down to customer choice.

[quote name='mart' post='1141884' date='Feb 25 2011, 10:07 PM']Thanks. I always like learning foreign languages :)

I hadn't noticed the dark stain, but you're right it does suggest the bridge has been changed. Although the width of the stain is exactly the same as the W bridge, [b]which makes me think the bridge might have simply been moved back. (But not far enough back). [/b]

After playing with the images I think the two pickups are parallel (or very near to it), and the squintness may be an illusion caused by the angle they're at. But it is a strange angle - so close to perpendicular, yet not. But yes, that could just be down to customer choice.[/quote]

cant have been the same bridge, warwick bridges need a rout to sit in... which then raises more questions, as the black bit seems to fit the shape of the bridge pretty well.
And also what wood stains so much by having a bridge sat on it?
the next question is... who on earth would by that? you can get a real warwick thumb secondhand for less!

[quote name='mart' post='1141487' date='Feb 25 2011, 09:08 AM']:) Sorry, could you translate this, please? "Tardy", to me, means "late", but this doesn't seem to make sense. Does it have some different meaning up your neck of the woods?[/quote]
It's short for retarded around here.

One line in the eBay ad that always raises a red flag for me "Selling for someone at work who has no ebay account." The it's not my bass I didn't know I was saying wrongs things excuse is likely to come up soon.

I could see this originally having a more normal bridge and a Warwick style being added later, and sloppily, as one became available. The bridge pickup screws seem to line up with the strings so it's odd to see the neck one out of line. This could suggest it was a single pickup originally (Jonas Hellborg fan?) and then the second was added later, maybe by the same person who did the bridge.

That's a very complex neck-through to copy. Has anyone contacted Mr. Shuker? My curiosity is piqued :)