Why become a member? ×

SOLD. Squier JV Series Precision Bass. SOLD

john_the_bass

Right, I am going to buy a 70s P Bass this year and to do that I need to sell some stuff. So this bass is going to be sold one way or the other - I pulled it last time when the bass I was after sold before I could sell this one (Pyschoandy's). If it doesn't sell here in the next week or so, it'll go to ebay.

The usual stuff - made in Japan in the early 80's, allegedly out of USA parts although mine is a bit later (April 1983) and so may be all Jap - I think the pickups are US - cloth covered wires and what have you - but it's all original and in good nick generally. The pickguard broke last year when i tried to straighten it - it was my own clumsy fault, but it just looks like a bit of a crack when it's on the bass.
Don't really know what else to add, frets look alright, it sounds great, cuts through a lot better than my modern USA precision. Currently has a set of Monel flats on (Rotosound 77s) which haven't had a lot of wear. I'd possibly (possibly) entertain offers on my USA S1 Precision (black/black/maple) pictured, but I like how it plays and would ideally like to keep hold of it. I'd actually like to keep hold of this Squier, but I can't afford to keep both and don't really have the space for another instrument without being moaned at. Looking for [b]£500[/b], which includes a case. I don't think that's entirely unreasonably having seen these end in auctions for £530+, probably what I'd aim for when it hits ebay.
If anybody wanted to take the JV in part chop for 70s precision, let me know - I'd like a black/black w/maple or 3ts/black w/maple or 3ts tort w/maple

Edited by john_the_bass

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

[quote name='Tee' post='133442' date='Feb 4 2008, 09:52 AM']Was it the earlier JVs which had the larger 'Fender' logo and smaller 'By Squier' logo underneath then?[/quote]

Yes it was! I have a honey sunburst '57 precision, which I saved up my paper round money to buy new, and it is still the nicest precision I've played!

• 3 weeks later...

i'm not sure they're comparable to be honest Kev, I think if you compared them directly with the equivalent US product of the time (83 in this case), they were supposed to be more consistently good - if that makes sense. Not to say that USA basses of that era were crap, but the QC on these was supposed to be better.

It sounds brilliant - it's a little bit more middley to my ears than my USA P with a nice punch, it's miles better than the E serial Jap Fender Precision I had, despite there being only a year or so between production. Build quality is excellent - my assumption is that it's supposed to represent a 62 RI (reverse tuners, threaded saddles, that strap button on the back of the headstock). Everything fits together properly and it's a nice weight - a bit lighter than my modern P. A good bass, but I'm a bit precious about taking it to gigs, so it's sat in a case in a cupboard. I've not played it in a while and I'm sort of assessing the number of guitars/basses I own and thinking about combining stuff for one or two special pieces.

[quote name='BassManKev' post='178983' date='Apr 17 2008, 04:08 PM']just out of interest, sound/build quality wise, what would be the advantages of buying this over a brand new fender japan/highway 1 precision?[/quote]

My dad has a JV Precision and used to haver a JV Jazz. They are absolutely superb basses - I played the precision at a Jam night last night through my dad's Markbass LMII and 2 MB 1x15s....Punch City.

on ebay (finally) [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270230374687"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=270230374687[/url], but if anybody here wants it drop me a line and I'll pull it for you.

Edited by john_the_bass

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='130569' date='Jan 30 2008, 12:58 PM']The usual stuff - made in Japan in the early 80's, allegedly out of USA parts although mine is a bit later (April 1983) and so may be all Jap - I think the pickups are US - cloth covered wires and what have you - but it's all original and in good nick generally. The pickguard broke last year when i tried to straighten it - it was my own clumsy fault, but it just looks like a bit of a crack when it's on the bass.
Don't really know what else to add, frets look alright, it sounds great, cuts through a lot better than my modern USA precision. Currently has a set of Monel flats on (Rotosound 77s) which haven't had a lot of wear.[b] I'd possibly (possibly) entertain offers on my USA S1 Precision (black/black/maple) pictured, but I like how it plays and would ideally like to keep hold of it[/b][/quote]

you answered my question anyway but this is to which I was referring to