Why become a member? ×

Tips on cleaning a maple finger board

Bassmonkey

I have a filthy Stingray with a maple neck. The finger board has got very grimy over the years. I believe lemon oil isnt recomended for maple but not sure of the best way to clean it. Have tried damp tissues followed by immediate drying but it aint removing the grime. You can still see dark limes where the strings have been. Any advice? Thx Andy with the mucky hands

This is going to sound extremely vague so apologies in advance. A friend of mine has a maple necked Strat and he used to use some furniture polish/cleaner wipes, Mr Sheen or something. They came in a pack like wet wipes and it was amazing what they pulled off the neck. They only came from tescos so maybe have a look when you are there.

Failing that, I used a very very light sandpaper on my old Stingray took off all the dirt and then sealed it up with Ernie Ball recommended Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil and Gun Stock Wax. It sealed the neck and gave it this semi gloss finish (although i did a lot of buffing and applied a lot)

If it was me today I would plump for having the neck proffesionally finished, there is a luthier who is highly regarded on here who refinished a Sadowsky neck to gloss, sure he would clean up and finish a stingray neck.

Edited by NJE

[quote name='NJE' post='1139257' date='Feb 23 2011, 09:52 PM']This is going to sound extremely vague so apologies in advance. A friend of mine has a maple necked Strat and he used to use some furniture polish/cleaner wipes, Mr Sheen or something. They came in a pack like wet wipes and it was amazing what they pulled off the neck. They only came from tescos so maybe have a look when you are there.

Failing that, I used a very very light sandpaper on my old Stingray took off all the dirt and then sealed it up with Ernie Ball recommended Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil and Gun Stock Wax. It sealed the neck and gave it this semi gloss finish (although i did a lot of buffing and applied a lot)

If it was me today I would plump for having the neck proffesionally finished, there is a luthier who is highly regarded on here who refinished a Sadowsky neck to gloss, sure he would clean up and finish a stingray neck.[/quote]

Thx buddy

scrape with a thin wilkinson double edge razor blade from the chemist and buff with 00 wire wool. i assume it's unfinished? i'm sure lemon oil would be fine although i use almond oil also from the chemist. there's a video of the guys at prs doing this on youtube. don't be scared, just give it a quick go over the higher frets 1st until you feel like you've got the knack, and then do the job proper.

Edited by lettsguitars

for cleaning a maple board i'd go for good old brasso, will bring up the board and the frets a treat, (i'm guessing that the maple is finished though ie has a varnish-like finish?)
i don't know about lemon oil and razor blades, these are fine on a rosewood or ebony board but on maple i go for brasso every time (i'm pretty sure i saw it reccomended in a guitar magazine first)

[quote name='Matt P' post='1139330' date='Feb 23 2011, 10:50 PM']....i'm guessing that the maple is finished though ie has a varnish-like finish?....[/quote]
The reason the neck is getting dirty is because the finish has worn though and the wood underneath is exposed and soaking up sweat and dirt. If you can clean the fretboard you'll have to reseal it to prevent the problem continuing.

Bernie Goodfellow talks about this on his web site and Lakland recommend orange oil as a cleaner. I think you should talk to a luthier to find out what you should really do.

In my experience, keep scrapers/razor blades and wire wool the hell away from lacquered maple fingerboards. And if the lacquer's worn away, or it's an oiled MM board, don't use oil on it.

I have discovered the magic formula for removing gunge without a trace. It's called Virtuoso Cleaner and it costs about $10 bucks from the USA.

It's not like the others. This stuff is supernatural. I have an old Gibson guitar with sweaty haze and gunk that would not, repeat not, come off with any amount of clean cotton cloths and huff-n-puff, nor normal cleaners/polishes, or anything.

Tried this stuff, and it's like new.

I'm not big on recommending products unless they blow me away. This one did!

[quote name='KK Jale' post='1139467' date='Feb 24 2011, 12:40 AM']In my experience, keep scrapers/razor blades and wire wool the hell away from lacquered maple fingerboards.[/quote]
definightly. a laquered board is that way forever, or until it's refretted. in my original answer, i do say 'presuming it's unfinished'.

Edited by lettsguitars

[quote name='chris_b' post='1139431' date='Feb 23 2011, 11:58 PM']The reason the neck is getting dirty is because the finish has worn though and the wood underneath is exposed and soaking up sweat and dirt. If you can clean the fretboard you'll have to reseal it to prevent the problem continuing.

Bernie Goodfellow talks about this on his web site and Lakland recommend orange oil as a cleaner. I think you should talk to a luthier to find out what you should really do.[/quote]

Cheers all, I think this is the exact problem. Its seen some use over the years. Will post a pic tonight to show but I see a trip to a local luthier on the horizon
Andy