Why become a member? ×

Hi from Sunny Devon

Ian2k

Hi All,

Well, not quite so Sunny Devon right now ... night ...

I've been playing aroung 15 years on and off, current gear RBX 260, Hohner "The Jack", Markbass CMD151 mini, Markbass CL104.

Playing in a "genre blurring" band - well, we don't know what it is we play, and no-one can tell us either. Probably due to us being in our 30s and 40s with a diverse range of influences to call up. Keeps 'em guessing!

Anyway, I've read this forum quite a bit, so thought it was time to join and contribute!

[quote name='Ian2k' post='1139056' date='Feb 23 2011, 07:45 PM']Hi All,

Well, not quite so Sunny Devon right now ... night ...

I've been playing aroung 15 years on and off, current gear RBX 260, Hohner "The Jack", Markbass CMD151 mini, Markbass CL104.

Playing in a "genre blurring" band - well, we don't know what it is we play, and no-one can tell us either. Probably due to us being in our 30s and 40s with a diverse range of influences to call up. Keeps 'em guessing!

Anyway, I've read this forum quite a bit, so thought it was time to join and contribute![/quote]
I lived in sunny Torquay for a while. It was certainly sunnier than some parts of the UK, thats for sure. Welcome to the forum.

[quote name='mep' post='1139169' date='Feb 23 2011, 09:02 PM']Hi & welcome. I'm from sunny! Devon too, Paignton in fact. Where are you based? If you are gigging locally I might pop by.[/quote]

Thanks. I'm in Exmouth. We've just lost our drummer - it happens, so no gig in the near future, but I'll certainly let you know when we've something lined up, although it'd be a little trek depending on where. That looks like it was a fun gig (video on your website), I really like playing outside.

[quote name='wrinkleygit' post='1139178' date='Feb 23 2011, 09:10 PM']I think it was sunny here once, if you are in exeter ,check out the blues jam, last friday of the month at the farmers union queen st, don't get many bass players turn up, I will be the old fool with "rita" (mm sterling) drapped around his neck, mention basschat & you're welcome to have a blast, mike b.[/quote]

Thanks, I didn't know about that, I'll try and make it along. Can't make this Friday unfortunately, I've put it on my calendar for next month though, so hopefully then.

(I'm in Exmouth and I think it has it's own microclimate, very often it'll be one thing here, and something completely different in Exeter. Did actually get some sun here today!).

[quote name='Ian2k' post='1139215' date='Feb 23 2011, 09:30 PM']Thanks. I'm in Exmouth. We've just lost our drummer - it happens, so no gig in the near future, but I'll certainly let you know when we've something lined up, although it'd be a little trek depending on where. That looks like it was a fun gig (video on your website), I really like playing outside.[/quote]
Sorry to hear you are not gigging due to drummer problems. We have not got any gigs in Exmouth at present, but I have done plenty in the past at The Shed, Molloys & The Old Barrel. The nearest we get is in Exeter. The video is from the Brixham Hapnin from 2 years ago. It was a quite Friday night but good fun. 3 out of the 4 bands bassists were using Stingrays I couldn't help but notice.

[quote name='mep' post='1139231' date='Feb 23 2011, 09:37 PM']Sorry to hear you are not gigging due to drummer problems. We have not got any gigs in Exmouth at present, but I have done plenty in the past at The Shed, Molloys & The Old Barrel. The nearest we get is in Exeter. The video is from the Brixham Hapnin from 2 years ago. It was a quite Friday night but good fun. 3 out of the 4 bands bassists were using Stingrays I couldn't help but notice.[/quote]

Let me know when you're next playing up this way and I'll try to make it along. Quite a lot of people seem to rate Stingrays, I've not even picked one up so don't really have any idea what they're like.

[quote name='The Crimson King' post='1139243' date='Feb 23 2011, 09:43 PM']I am also from Devon, I live a few miles away from Plymouth. :)[/quote]

I lived in Plymouth for a few years, as a city I like it, still know a couple of people there. I moved away for work and study, but made it back to the Westcountry! :)

[quote name='The Crimson King' post='1139243' date='Feb 23 2011, 09:43 PM']I am also from Devon, I live a few miles away from Plymouth. :)[/quote]
Hi There & welcome. My old home town is Plymouth. Grew up in Wembury to be exact, a few miles away.

[quote name='Ian2k' post='1139274' date='Feb 23 2011, 10:02 PM']Let me know when you're next playing up this way and I'll try to make it along. Quite a lot of people seem to rate Stingrays, I've not even picked one up so don't really have any idea what they're like.[/quote]
We are playing the Stoke Arms in Exeter on Friday 11th March. It's a funny sort of place. If you can make it great.

[quote name='daz' post='1139518' date='Feb 24 2011, 05:13 AM']Devonians coming out of the woodwork everywhere now :)[/quote]

Unless of course The Crimson King is 'a few miles away' in Cornwall across the Tamar and not admitting to it!