Why become a member? ×

Going to War(wick)

Huw

I've had a thing for Warwicks for some time now. I'm not sure that it's been an inflated sense of quality from their price tags or endorsees, but I've always considered them pretty much top of the heap in regards to non-boutique basses.

Despite this, I've only ever gotten my hands on one twice. The first time I was very disappointed. It was a s/h Streamer with one pickup and it felt horrible and sounded dead to me. Then last October or so, I had a feel of a corvette. [url="http://a114.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/17/l_0d2afaa496f2c499303719c7136324b9.jpg"]This one[/url], as it goes (I'm sure Wilf won't mind his picture shown off like that.) Now I don't know which model that is exactly, but it felt very nice.

So now I've got my eyes out for a Corvette, myself. I'm very interested in getting a $$ as I'm not a fan of the single jazz p/ups. I'm sure it's just psychological, but I've got it into my head that they wouldn't sound as big and responsive as the bucks. Does anyone have any recordings out there of these Warwicks, so I can get some comparison?

My sticking point is the number of strings I go for. When I sold my 5 string Yamaha a couple of years ago, I told myself, I'd never need more than 4 strings.

Now I feel like maybe I'm missing out on something. Or maybe it'd be better to get a 5 string as, if I didn't use the low B it wouldn't really get in the way, but if I got the 4 string and wanted to use the 5th string in the future, I'd have wasted my money just buying 4. gah, I dunno. What do you think about that?

Lastly, does anyone have any good links to sites/stores with competitive prices on Warwicks? I was bidding on a $$ on ebay last night, but got pipped at the end.

[quote name='Huw' post='130020' date='Jan 29 2008, 02:21 PM']Lastly, does anyone have any good links to sites/stores with competitive prices on Warwicks? I was bidding on a $$ on ebay last night, but got pipped at the end.[/quote]

Thomann have them (Corvette $$) for 796 quid and above.

[quote name='bremen' post='130027' date='Jan 29 2008, 02:33 PM']Thomann have them (Corvette $$) for 796 quid and above.[/quote]
So this is a pretty good deal, then?
[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Warwick-Corvette-Double-Buck-Black-Bass-Guitar-NEW_W0QQitemZ230215438715QQihZ013QQcategoryZ4713QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Warwick-Corvette-Dou...oQQcmdZViewItem[/url]

[quote name='Huw' post='130020' date='Jan 29 2008, 02:21 PM']I've had a thing for Warwicks for some time now. I'm not sure that it's been an inflated sense of quality from their price tags or endorsees, but I've always considered them pretty much top of the heap in regards to non-boutique basses.

Despite this, I've only ever gotten my hands on one twice. The first time I was very disappointed. It was a s/h Streamer with one pickup and it felt horrible and sounded dead to me. Then last October or so, I had a feel of a corvette. [url="http://a114.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/17/l_0d2afaa496f2c499303719c7136324b9.jpg"]This one[/url], as it goes (I'm sure Wilf won't mind his picture shown off like that.) Now I don't know which model that is exactly, but it felt very nice.

So now I've got my eyes out for a Corvette, myself. I'm very interested in getting a $$ as I'm not a fan of the single jazz p/ups. I'm sure it's just psychological, but I've got it into my head that they wouldn't sound as big and responsive as the bucks. Does anyone have any recordings out there of these Warwicks, so I can get some comparison?

My sticking point is the number of strings I go for. When I sold my 5 string Yamaha a couple of years ago, I told myself, I'd never need more than 4 strings.

Now I feel like maybe I'm missing out on something. Or maybe it'd be better to get a 5 string as, if I didn't use the low B it wouldn't really get in the way, but if I got the 4 string and wanted to use the 5th string in the future, I'd have wasted my money just buying 4. gah, I dunno. What do you think about that?

Lastly, does anyone have any good links to sites/stores with competitive prices on Warwicks? I was bidding on a $$ on ebay last night, but got pipped at the end.[/quote]

Don't buy one without trying it first..... the necks vary too much

I was around when Warwicks first appeared and I tried a load at the time but I found their necks to be too thick for my tastes and stuck with my Wal. Thinking about it, I haven't played another bass than my Wal or Status 6 for at least 8 years (and I only play the Status if the Wal is not around)! I think the last few basses I tried were a couple of Sei Flamboyant 6 strings at the Gallery. Didn't like the string spacing. Maybe I should get out there and try some new basses...

:)

Definately try first, but IMHO the Corvette $$ is a fantastic bass. Very versatile, and very playable. So far as price is concerned, I managed to get Sound Control in Birmingham down to under £700 (from memory, something like £100 off the price it was marked), so worth haggling.

Personally, though, I would look at buying secondhand. Warwicks sem to be going for very little money at the moment.

As much as I'd love to try before I buy, I don't think it's going to be possible, seeing as I haven't seen any local shops trading in Warwicks for ages. And given the difference in prices between stores and the web, I'm not likely to be buying in store.

Weight shouldn't be an issue for me; I'm a big boy and I'm used to playing a Dean 8 String for years of gigs.

However, I am intrigued/worried about this neck talk. What's the problem? How do they vary and will I actually notice? (being that I'm new to Warwicks and haven't really had such a high quality bass before)

[quote name='Huw' post='130093' date='Jan 29 2008, 04:04 PM']As much as I'd love to try before I buy, I don't think it's going to be possible, seeing as I haven't seen any local shops trading in Warwicks for ages. And given the difference in prices between stores and the web, I'm not likely to be buying in store.

Weight shouldn't be an issue for me; I'm a big boy and I'm used to playing a Dean 8 String for years of gigs.

However, I am intrigued/worried about this neck talk. What's the problem? How do they vary and will I actually notice? (being that I'm new to Warwicks and haven't really had such a high quality bass before)[/quote]

Newer Warwick necks are a bit of a marmite thing. They are quite deep, and chunky (at least my $$ is). On the other hand, I find the profile much more comfortable than any of my other basses. It actually feels easier and more comfortable than my Precision and Stingray. If you've been playing a Dean 8 string, I doubt you'll find the neck on a 4 string $$ any problem.

The necks do vary a lot... Thickest seems to be the Streamer (thumb to fingers), with the more manageable thinner necks being the standard Corvette & the $$ & the Thumb 4 seems to have a very nice neck, too. Then again, according to some of the others, some of these are very variable as well!

As for the sound of the $$, as I've been quoted saying on here before, it's like God Shouting! Mine has a really funky, raspy top end with bellowing bottom frequencies, but then again I do have the treble & bass on the preamp turned up full & the pickup switches pushed downwards (parallel?) most of the time!

I thought that the bolt-on's were stock necks. The neck on my Thumb BO4 is exactly the same as the Corvette BO4 that it replaced.
I don't have a problem with the profile - sort of Jazzish at the nut but a bit thicker front to back. Never quite understood the 'baseball' bat comparison it's pretty comfortable IMHO. Life would be a bit dull if every bass had to have a Fender Jazz neck.