Why become a member? ×

Lakland 5501

CHRISDABASS

Hey

Good weekend so far??

Got hold of a used Lakland 5501 :)

i really didnt know what to expect from a 5 string at this price point but to be honest im blown away by it!!

its the first 5 ive played that feels like its meant to be a 5 and not just a 4 string design with the added B string as an after thought!

Ive adjusted remarkably well to the extra string on this particular bass mainly because it sounds as good as the other strings and i dont have to change the way i play when on the B!!

i have the first rehearsal with a new function band tomorrow which is why i got the 5 in the first place! fingers crossed it will sound as good live as it does through the studio monitors :)

if all goes well i can see a complete conversion to 5 string basses!! :lol: very exciting!! :D

Any more happy 5501 owners out there??

:P

I was tempted by one a few months ago, I really liked the neck on them and felt far nicer than the Fender and the Overwater I tried on the same day.

I do think though that the feel of the Lakland did help persuade me to get a five string though, as previously I hadn't ever really played a five string that felt right to me personally.

The point about B strings.

I have a 5 on which I know the B is very good.. I wouldn't have brought it otherwise, but I have been through a few brands of strings more as an experiment on what is available, rather that the usual DR's..and I have a current set of Daddario XL's on and these are the least convincing B. I am prepared to accept this may be an indifferent batch bu was attracted by the tapered B in a certain gauge.

Maybe this experiment is over, now.

But, if you are considering 5's now..there is an glorious looking Overwater in FS and also a Sadowsky recently.
Both looked the business