Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

5 or 6 string bass

hhoward

i was thinking about buying a 5 string bass, but six string allows for (obviously) a greater range.
i was wondering if the 6 string could still be useful for slap because of the closer strings
i was wondering if anyone reading this plays slap on a 6 string? i mean a six string which isn't as wide as a car?
because i have found the wider the neck the slower the speed (at least for me) i am no Jacko Pastorius
thanks
HowardH

Lots of people slap on sixes. You just need to be a bit more accurate. Some sixes are very tight for spacing and others have plenty of room - but fingerboards like the flight deck of an aircraft carrier! Try a few and see what you like!

[quote name='Conan' post='1128166' date='Feb 15 2011, 11:40 AM']Lots of people slap on sixes. You just need to be a bit more accurate. Some sixes are very tight for spacing and others have plenty of room - but fingerboards like the flight deck of an aircraft carrier! Try a few and see what you like![/quote]

+1 on the above.

Obviously try the sixer if you can as some are easier than others for slapping. On the narrower necks the thumb is much less of an issue than the pop (I personally find) where it's much easier to catch another string whilst popping.

Of course you can slap on a six string bass. If you've got your technique together it won't be a big problem. The same with a wide neck-if you have a good left hand position it won't be that much of a problem,unless you have diddy fingers.You won't need longer arms either,just a good right hand technique.
The greater range is great,particularly if you want to play in the upper register or chordally. Try to find a few to try out though,you may find that
the high C is not necessary for you,and prefer a five.

Anyway,Jaco played a four string. :)

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' post='1128776' date='Feb 15 2011, 07:30 PM']how about this!

[/quote]

Yeah, he can slap OK - but clearly the width of the neck and the extra string slows him down. He plays much faster than that on a four string P bass...

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1128796' date='Feb 15 2011, 07:52 PM']"Please be careful when exiting the elevator and why not enjoy a visit to the cafe on floor nine" :)[/quote]

Ah yes. I remember my old eighties compilation CD "Otis Nights - The very best of uplifting elevator music"

:) Having all jumped from the (Do you need a 5 string tread).

My comment here would be a 5 string bass is as different to a 4 string as a 4 string is to a guitar. Don’t get sucked into the manufacturers that just turn out cheap fives because they can. A bad 5 is not a nice instrument to play and will put you off, go for a good second hand bass from one of the guys on here. And then play nothing else for a couple of years. Then you will start to understand what is good and bad about them, everything becomes more critical than in a 4 string, woods used in body and neck, pickup placement, EQ. even the strings used can change the whole feel and tone and balance across the instrument. Then you will yearn for those days when you could take your old 4 string down the pub and knock seven bells out of her without a thought, but there's no going back you'll be hooked

I play and own only 6ers. I play slap (I'm not great but do play slap) and having played them for a while I'm as fluent at slap on a 6 as I am on or 4 or 5, it about finding what works for you.

My 3 basses all have the same scale and string spacing - 35" and 19mm. 19mm I wide on a 6, but it means the transition between a 4 and a 6 feels natural for finger and thumb placement for slap and pop.

wow. thanks for the cool vids, that guy is quicker than i am like a plane is quicker than a car, and its seems logical to me to wear the bass that high playing a neck that fat, however i think (in my case) i would rather be slower and not wear my bass like a necklace, i love slap and always have, it unleashed the beast in me long ago and i have never been happy unless i am punching people in the chest with a rhythmic percussive sound.
with me i come from a solid rock background, so bringing slap into rock was always my first love.
even like in the case of Faith No More's We Care A Lot, even though it was simple, it was the hugeness and fatness that swept me up, i had the opportunity to play on the same night they played back then and wow what a rig he had, it was so massive he didn't even DI.
i know Jacko played a four string in answer to Doddy, i was referring to his jazz speeds actually, but thanks for your input :)
Speaking of elevator music, one day i was in a shopping center and i heard Elephant Talk by King Crimson being piped thru, somehow i felt insulted hehe
Thankyou everyone for such great input. this is the best bass forum in the world and you guys are awesome
Thanks again
HowardH