Why become a member? ×

My New Status Empathy

RAM

I've been GASsing for a Status since 1995, and being in the US, I've rarely come across one, especially when the funds were ripe for the spending. Well, today that all changed, when a local guy had a Status Empathy up for sale at a killer price, so I had to take advantage. He also had a Stealth II, but I wasn't about to walk out with both basses, though it was certainly very tempting!

I'm not one to say one bass or another is the best, as I firmly believe each has its own place, but this bass is really remarkable. The e-band eq is incredibly flexible, more so than most other basses I've played, and playing with the pickup blend really makes for dramatic changes in tone. In fact, that's what this bass does: everything is so dramatic, from its attack, to its rich fundamental, to the eq, etc, that it's impossible to describe. I'm in absolute heaven with this thing! It doesn't hurt that this is quite possibly the most fun I've ever had playing on a bass! When people talk about low action, they have to try a Status. I don't know what it is, but for some reason, I can get the action so much lower on this than any other bass I've ever owned or played, and do so with no buzzing! Rob Green is an absolute genius! :)

Since it's all a lie without pix, here are a few...(not really sure why these aren't showing as pix...can anyone fix them?) FIXED

Edited by RAM

[quote name='woolleydick' post='129272' date='Jan 28 2008, 07:48 AM']" Rob Green is an absolute genius! :) "

Yes he is, isn't he?
How much is a killer price these days in Chicago[/quote]
Well, considering Atlanta Bass Gallery has a nearly identical Empathy for $2,200, I thought I got a bargain for $1,350.

• 5 months later...

Hi there from a newby.

I'd love to know if that is an Empathy or not as then I'd know for sure what mine is....

Sadly lacking any info on the head stock other than Status, Graphite, Made in England.....

Lovely instrument had it for over 10 years from 2nd hand. Never needed setting up, just plays like a dream.

[attachment=10970:Stacey_Small.JPG]

[attachment=10971:Stacey__s_Head.JPG]

[quote]Hi there from a newby.

I'd love to know if that is an Empathy or not as then I'd know for sure what mine is....

Sadly lacking any info on the head stock other than Status, Graphite, Made in England.....

Lovely instrument had it for over 10 years from 2nd hand. Never needed setting up, just plays like a dream.[/quote]

Firstly, that definitely is an Empathy... It's got the early 3-band eq & the exotic woods. No doubt about it.

Ian, your bass looks like either a Series I or an Energy with jj pickups. If I were a gambling man, I'd go for the Energy option.

I know a lot about Status basses and being an expert (including being mentioned on the official Status site cos me and Mick C setup the original Yahoo Status club and having demoed Mark King's rosewood Kingbass on Aussie TV one week before he took delivery of it!), that is definitely an Empathy! Reason - front and rear facings!

Nick *

*modesty is my middle name

Gorgeous bass - Status basses really are works of art. As well as sounding rather good too!

I could never justify spending so much on a bass, but I had a Washburn Status for a couple of years, and I'd reccomend it to anyone who wants the status vibe on a budget.

I really regret selling my Washburn Status!

I had a groove for a while, yes. It was a sunburst one, but I traded it in for a Corvette $$, which was in turn sold to a pupil to help fund this...

Merton is the one to talk to about Grooves. He has two - One fretted and one fretless.

And apologies to RAM for all us Status nuts hijacking his thread! Perhaps we ought to have a 'pinned' Status corner, Mods?

Edited by OutToPlayJazz

[quote]Oooooh!

Lovely Series II there! Being a huge expert (as already noted and very modest too!) your bass has the slimline neck moulding of course with the `narrow' central body graphite spine, which of course does not appear on the rear of the bass! I nearly bought one that year with a birdseye maple front - ah![/quote]

Indeed it is. My original one (an '88 - which incidentally has just showed up on Statti for sale!) had the wider spine which was a seperate block to which the wooden wings were joined. At first I thought the narrower ones weren't as nice looking, but now I have three of them I think I prefer it.

DOTB - I'm going to have to come and play at your bass-candy store at some point. Problem is, I'll never want to go home!!!

[quote name='IanBassMeg' post='243033' date='Jul 18 2008, 08:33 PM']Hi there from a newby.

Lovely instrument had it for over 10 years from 2nd hand. Never needed setting up, just plays like a dream.

[attachment=10970:Stacey_Small.JPG]

[attachment=10971:Stacey__s_Head.JPG][/quote]

To my eyes - this is an Energy. I had one for ages , and very nice it was too.

Don't forget , everyone , that the real experts (not me) are likely to frequent www.statii.com They were very helpful in helping me be sure that my current Series 3000 wasn't another Energy - and the resources pages have a wealth of info.