Why become a member? ×

Tobias Fretless Bass

Aye they were acquired by Gibson and production shifted to Korea (there were a few intermediate Japanese ones too), they were knocking them out for silly money. Not all were as nice looking as this one, there were quite a few plain ones

The price on this one is good btw, i've seen them for for over £350 even though they cost about that new! It's a popul;ar bass on the used market if eBay is anything to go by.

I have a little promise to myself that one day i'll own a Tobias, hopefully an original one but it's unlikely!

Yep Tobias can be very expensive but like many manufacturers there are some cheaper versions. This is very good though, with a gem of a neck profile and finish. The output is slightly quiter than some of my basses and if I was to upgrade anything, I'd shove some barts in, but it looks and feels good and have a super low action courtesy of moi!

But, and hopefully Bassassin will back me up, I'm an outstanding pillar of the community and assure you it's no dodgy scammer from Shetland.

:)

[quote name='steverickwood' post='1127534' date='Feb 14 2011, 08:00 PM']But, and hopefully Bassassin will back me up, I'm an outstanding pillar of the community and assure you it's no dodgy scammer from Shetland.

:)[/quote]
Well I dunno about that... :lol: But yes, I have known the good Mr Rickwood since he were knee-high to a grasshopper and as far as I know he's always conducted his dodgy scams from Kent rather than Shetland... :D :)

J.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='1127606' date='Feb 14 2011, 08:48 PM']Well I dunno about that... :) But yes, I have known the good Mr Rickwood since he were knee-high to a grasshopper and as far as I know he's always conducted his dodgy scams from Kent rather than Shetland... :lol: :)

J.[/quote]

Just so long as he's not in Aberdeen ...

Some of the Tobias Pro basses were absolute belters. I had a sixer that was beautiful, wish I hadn't flogged it. The pickups can be weedy, but 275 is an absolute bargain.
Lovely bit of flame in that body wood too. Looks like a great bass for little money.