Why become a member? ×

Warwick Corvettes

bassbora

I have been playing Warwick Thumb NT 5 for 14 years. Its an '89 and I bought a '89 Thumb 6 fretless over a year ago. Love these basses and they have always been everything I look for in a bass. I have been fairly in-active playing wise over the last 8 years, only done a bit of teaching so my trusty Thumb has been enough.

Now I am faced with possibly gigging again (just a rock cover band in pubs). So I was thinking I am not that keen to take my Thumb where it can be crashed into by drunk people or worst case stolen. So I was thinking about finding possibly a gigging bass that I dont mind if it takes some beating. Since I have been playing Warwicks for years now (sold my Stingray because I never could get used to the body shape and it was not a 5 string) I can only think of Warwicks to possibly get. I have never looked seriously at other models than Streamers (I have always wanted to get an older SS2 5) and Thumbs so I dont really know much about the 'less pricier ones'.

So I was wandering if anybody with experience of Corvettes could tell me their thoughts on those basses and possibly the differences between them (not $$). I am not sure if there are differences between Prolines (does that exist) and Standard and are there other options?? I would be looking for a 5 string so if you have experience of those how is the B string? Also the FNA Jazzman looks like a good contender but I dont think it would be within the budget. I am thinking about spending maybe £400 - £500 but this is all still at the maybe stage.

But all info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
BB

Now is certainly the time for Corvette's, they truly are going for silly money.

The German Corvette standards have been discontinued are now being built in Korea (?) under the 'Pro Series' banner and are no longer German made. The Standard German 'Vettes of old are going for about £400-£500 at the moment, which is a superb price. The cheaper Ash ones are going for about £50-£100 less a pop but its probably a Bubinga one you should be seeking out (although being an owner of two thumbs you don't need me to tell you this :)

The Proline's are discontinued too, they were basically a standard corvette but with a lovely flamed maple body.

I have a 96 Warwick Corvette and picked it up a while ago for around 300. Its got the nice slim wenge neck and is the bubinga model as well. Brilliant basses for the money, can't fault mine. I think you should definitely look in to getting one. I know there's definitely one for sale at the minute on here thats a 96

^
What he said. Try and hold out for an older one as you'll be more used to the slimmer wenge neck. Lots are passive so don't expect the grunt you get with the EMG equipped Thumbs so maybe think about upgrades? Build quality is excellent and there's some really nice bubinga examples out there.

[quote name='bigthumb' post='1123487' date='Feb 11 2011, 03:33 AM']^
What he said. Try and hold out for an older one as you'll be more used to the slimmer wenge neck. Lots are passive so don't expect the grunt you get with the EMG equipped Thumbs so maybe think about upgrades? Build quality is excellent and there's some really nice bubinga examples out there.[/quote]

I didn't think the older Wenge-necked Corvette's had a passive option, did they??

[quote name='Kev' post='1124168' date='Feb 11 2011, 06:23 PM']I didn't think the older Wenge-necked Corvette's had a passive option, did they??[/quote]

I owned a 1994 Corvette (bubinga/wenge) and it was passive. I'm positive they were originally ONLY available as passive models, with the active ones being introduced later.

As it happens, I had mine 'activised' by Chris May at Overwater.

Steve

[quote name='bigthumb' post='1123487' date='Feb 11 2011, 03:33 AM']^
What he said. [b]Try and hold out for an older one [/b]as you'll be more used to the slimmer wenge neck. Lots are passive so don't expect the grunt you get with the EMG equipped Thumbs so maybe think about upgrades? Build quality is excellent and there's some really nice bubinga examples out there.[/quote]
Or a very recent German one.

Get an active, don't bother with the passives.

The older ones aren't necessarily better than the newer ones, although plenty of people will tell you otherwise. The original brass nut is a horrid piece of design. The JANIII is the best.

I would try to get a 2009/10 German bolt on, personally. I don't really believe in the 'sound of wood' so I'll say the bubinga neckthrough will have only marginal differences to the ash bolt ons.

I tried a few before i got one and found the active ash to have the sound i wanted, really snappy but with tons of grunt. The bubinga ones seemed to lack a bit of focus to me.

Contrary to Silddx i find the original brass JAN a great design, however you'll most likely be finding Corvettes with the plastic JANII (i think), which will probably have one or both of the plastic sides snapped off. Don't worry about that, doesn't afftect the bass. Just be careful when you change strings!
The active ones seem to go for the same prices as passive so go for active.

At the prices they go for nowadays it's a no brainer, get a Corvette!

[quote name='silddx' post='1124308' date='Feb 11 2011, 08:21 PM']the bubinga neckthrough will have only marginal differences to the ash bolt ons.[/quote]
Really?

Have to say, im another that thinks generally its BS that the type of wood makes a difference, but i have always noticed quite a large difference between NT and BO instruments. Bubinga does seem to have a pretty unique tone itself as well, lovely dense wood. Then again, perhaps its all just one's interpretation of the sound.

I assume you are comparing to his NT Thumb's, as there is no NT Corvette? (pretty sure i havn't got this one wrong...)

Edited by Kev

Thanks guys for all the info (and please keep it coming).

There seem to be more options than I expected. I always looked past Corvettes (guess its a snob wanting only old NT Warwicks). The opinions seem to differ quite a lot one player's dream bass is another player's nightmare. I love the bubinga tone so I will probably always lean towards them. My 5er is equipped with EMGs and yes it growls like there is no tomorrow. The Barts in the 6er are a lot mellower but deeper. But I am not too fussed about the pickups. I have an old Sadowsky outbord preamp which I would run with it and that piece of kit can make mediocre pickups sound good (bought it to use with Yamaha RBX 1000 if anyone remembers them). So I think the sound can be beefed up if needed.

Has anyone experience of a 5 string version and then how is the B string? I think it will be pointless to compare it to my Thumbs so I am not too worried about that. If I in the end will get one (need to get this past the wife as most of you guys will have experience with :) ) it will have a purpose and by the sound of it Corvettes are well built and should be able to take a serious beating.

You guys are really selling this too me. This is starting to sound more than a good idea.