Why become a member? ×

Better than VM/CV bass for less money?

Annoying Twit

Hi GW, I appreciate your, (and everyone else's) opinion.
My experience of Squiers isn't very extensive and I am considering one as a gig replacement for my heavy old Fender jazz.
Last time I was in London, I played a couple of fretless VMs in the Bass Cellar and in Macaris - they both felt and sounded great, but neither shop had a fretted model.
Over at The Gallery, they also only had the fretless one, along with a CV and I played both - neither sounded as good there, possibly due to the 10" cabs I was using and I felt uncomfortable in there for some reason, (it was a bit posh for me).
So, I still haven't played a fretted VM and I intend to do so soon, with a visit to a shop that has both the new sunburst VMs and the CV so I can compare and decide which is best for me.
I did not notice any differences in build quality between the VM and CV at the Gallery and I prefered the satin neck of the VM, I also thought the pick ups were warmer and deeper - I play reggae and only use the neck pick up with no tone most of the time.
I heard that the VMs are made by Cort in Indonesia and I don't know that their factory workers are any different to those in China, Mexico or the US - they all bolt parts together and I [i]think[/i] they know what they're building them for..........?

Really all these Squiers are incredible value, with great quality for far less money than you could buy such a thing 30 years ago when I only dreamed of buying a new bass.
I played a few US and Mexican Fenders while I was in London and I saw no reason at all to spend the premium for the name on the headstock.
I might even buy a VM and a CV, then decide which is the keeper after I've gigged them a few times.

The quality control on the CVs is better than the VMs that I've seen, but some basschatters seem to have lovely VMs with great grain on the bodies - I think perhaps the earlier ones were a bit tighter on this.
The fretted VMJ though - tone monster, the shop model I tried just sounded lively and fat acoustically and this seemed to translate to the amped sound, whereas I thought the CVs were completely anonymous. So if I was going for tone on a budget, VMJ with a pickup upgrade all the way and sod the weight.

But if I wanted to spend less money and was looking new, Yamaha all the way - a BB414 will set you back less than a new CV, gotta be at least as good :)

At over a grand now for a US Standard Jazz, there is no way I will ever buy a new Fender. If you get a decent VMJ, they are a great buy, even with the stock pickups. I really wish that people would stop talking about the CV as I have a serious :) attack for one.

Damm you Basschat!!!!

Jez

[quote name='paul h' post='1120060' date='Feb 8 2011, 01:34 PM']I am not sure about better but I reckon a [i]good[/i] example of an SX or Jim Deacon will give them a run for their money.[/quote]

Having owned an SX precision and a CV precision the squier wins hands down in my opinion. Better build quality, better sound/finish, far more comfortable neck.

Aaah, but for the same money (which is what the OP was stating), you can put a MM neck and a better bridge on there, and [i]then[/i] there'll be a ruckus... :)

Seriously, that SX I bought from you, once modded, is better than any CV I've ever tried (and I've tried a few). Having said that, once you've changed the neck and the bridge, that's the essentials of a good bass right there - a decent bit of Ash (or Alder) with a good pocket fit is hard to improve on, unless you want to look at luvvery woodgrain. And Chinese electrics are, I'd suggest, very similar...

Modding isn't for everyone, tho, so I suppose if we only count out of the box basses, the CVs are better. But they're three times the price. Sue Ryder, anyone? :)

[quote name='Muzz' post='1121856' date='Feb 9 2011, 08:05 PM']Aaah, but for the same money (which is what the OP was stating), you can put a MM neck and a better bridge on there, and [i]then[/i] there'll be a ruckus... :)

Seriously, that SX I bought from you, once modded, is better than any CV I've ever tried (and I've tried a few). Having said that, once you've changed the neck and the bridge, that's the essentials of a good bass right there - a decent bit of Ash (or Alder) with a good pocket fit is hard to improve on, unless you want to look at luvvery woodgrain. And Chinese electrics are, I'd suggest, very similar...

Modding isn't for everyone, tho, so I suppose if we only count out of the box basses, the CVs are better. But they're three times the price. Sue Ryder, anyone? :lol:[/quote]

This modding didn't happen without PICS!!!!!! :)

I'm well chuffed you like that bass mate (possibly the quickest transaction I've ever been involved in, like a drive thru bass sale!)and I see your point, the SX basses are pennies really.

Still, I'm actually one step away from sleeping with my CV at the minute.

Incidently what did you do with the original tree trunk neck on the SX? I might be interested in buying it back if you've still got it.